Conceal-Carry preferences for women [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Conceal-Carry preferences for women

Bushtrekker
12-27-2006, 07:18
Hi,

I just wanted to know what weapon is in preference to women that may be on the petite side for conceal-carry. Just wanted to know before I buy.

there is nothing better to say I Love You than giving protection.

Lynn D
12-27-2006, 10:27
Is the pistol for yourself or for the lady in your life? If it's for "her", she needs to be involved in the decision.

Many of us here are of the "petite" size....some of us carry compact, some full size, some sub-compact. It's all about personal preference and individual need. So, that's why the person receiving the pistol needs to be involved in its purchase.

Myself, I carry a Kahr P9.....

Best of luck.

Bushtrekker
12-28-2006, 06:26
It is for her. She doesn't like my G19, but shoots all day with a 22lr, field strip it, and clean it. I was thinking about 22 mag or a little larger. It was more of gift and easing her up to it.

The only 22 mags that I have come into contact with, are large or revolver. I would like to know of someone's experience with semi-auto that is subcompact.

Lynn D
12-28-2006, 06:52
Nice of you to think of her needs. Best thing, especially if you're trying to get her "accustomed" is to bring her along at her comfort . Once she's comfortable shooting in general, then consider moving up the caliber ladder.

As I mentioned previously, it's individual. She may find that .22 LR works well for her. Or, she may like .357 mag or 9 mm. If you can go to a "rental range" where she can try many guns/calibers, she'll have a good idea of what will work for her.

I own guns chambers in .22 LR, 9 mm, and 45 ACP. I choose to carry the 9 mm because it is small, light, concealable, and I shoot really well with it. I also shoot really well with the 45 ACP, but haven't put enough rounds through it to carry it yet.

Best wishes.

Bushtrekker
12-28-2006, 07:04
Thanks Lady D,

She has shot my 9 MM once, and gave it back to me promptly. I was looking for something in between.

I know that the muzzle energy of the 22 mag is greater than that of the 25 auto, 32, and 9 mm; and that is why I was heading there.

I put the thread up to see if the gals here had preferences. Thanks for your replies.

Mrs. VR
12-28-2006, 08:36
we can't carry here, so I can't really weigh in, however, I agree with Lynn, let her find what works for her. Great gift! :hearts: