Took my 5 yr old for his first hunt - dialup danger [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Took my 5 yr old for his first hunt - dialup danger

Bitmap
12-29-2006, 12:49
After I took my oldest son (he turned 7 about a week later) hunting and he shot a deer and two turkeys, my 5 yr old son has been bugging me to take him. I took him out the last couple of days.

When I took big brother Connor hunting I had my dad to help. It makes a big difference. At 0-dark-thirty in the morning one adult can drive to the blind and drop the other adult off with the youngster, then walk back. Since we didn't have grandpa we took a different approach. In the past we would often find deer and turkey tracks on top of our tire tracks where we parked the truck, so my son Conrad and I just parked the truck and sat in the bed. I found out that it is difficult to stay quiet in the bed of a truck. Every time either of us moved there was a "bong" from bumping the toolbox or tailgate or whatever.

When we got to the farm the first afternoon we had to push through a herd of 13 mule deer. Too bad mule deer season ends Thanksgiving weekend. One doe came right up to the truck as I was rolling through the herd. She was acting like cattle sometimes do when a farming is bringing nuggets. She finally stopped about 10 feet from the truck when I pushed in the clutch and something in the linkage popped loudly. We sat and waited but didn't get a shot at any deer or turkeys.

The next morning we got there before sunrise and I parked next to our favorite blind where Connor killed his first deer. A glorious morning!!! We were greeted by about 200 turkeys waking up. Squaking, gobbling, clucking, flapping, you name it. Some mornings they come off the roost and fly almost straight down by the blind, other mornings they fly over the trees to the other side of the pasture. That morning they mostly flew away. About 30 or 40 landed about 50 yards away, which was too far for my boy to shoot. I'm confident he can hit a turkey at 25 yards if it will sit still long enough, but 50 is just too far. One lone straggler landed about 30 yards away all by herself. I would have let Conrad have a shot but that bird landed exactly between us and the only house within several miles. The house was about 3/4 of a mile away but I figured that if he shot the bullet would surely hit something I didn't want it to. After she pecked around for 5 minutes or so she suddenly flaps off to join the others who have now drifted to about 100 yards away. We saw mule deer but no white tails.

We went back to the farm house to have some lunch and do a little plinking.

Here is the big hunter having lunch.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/Bitmaps_photos/ConradsHunt002.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of him shooting the .22.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/Bitmaps_photos/ConradsHunt021.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/Bitmaps_photos/ConradsHunt024.jpg

While we were looking at some cans and bottles he was shooting things got a little exciting. Here are some pics after the excitement was over:
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/Bitmaps_photos/ConradsHunt009.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/Bitmaps_photos/ConradsHunt013.jpg

Here is the big boy with the bad snake. No, he didn't kill it with the shovel. I used the .22 and used the shovel to move the body to a better spot for a pic. He found the snake about 5 feet from the blue bottle in the top right portion of this pic. That is too close for me!!
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/Bitmaps_photos/ConradsHunt014.jpg

Here is my hand next to the rattles for comparison.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/Bitmaps_photos/ConradsHunt019.jpg

That afternoon we went back to the blind. Once again we had to fight through the mule deer herd to get in the gate. 13 or 14 deer with at least 2 nice bucks that were 4x4 or bigger. One was a 2x2 but his antlers were at least 24 inches above his head.

We got in our blind and the mule deer came to join us. They hung around for at least 30 minutes. Here are a few pics.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/Bitmaps_photos/ConradsHunt027.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/Bitmaps_photos/ConradsHunt028.jpg

I took some of these in pairs with the big boy in the foreground on some to show the range. I didn't photoshop any of them, in case you are wondering. If you look carefully you can see a deers back end just to the right of Conrad's shooting glasses, in addition to the deer to the left of him.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/Bitmaps_photos/ConradsHunt029.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/Bitmaps_photos/ConradsHunt031.jpg

Here is a great smile with a mule deer in the background.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/Bitmaps_photos/ConradsHunt032.jpg

Here is one over my shoulder. You can see the truck toolbox at the bottom of the pic and the blind between us and the deer.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/Bitmaps_photos/ConradsHunt036.jpg

We finally saw two whitetail does and one large fawn about 150 yards away. You know how deer sometimes come out of the trees and look both ways deciding which way to go, and they sometimes come toward you and sometimes don't? Well, they decided to go the other way.

Conrad was upset that he didn't get a deer or turkey, but I think it was a great hunt. We both had fun. He got to sit closer to more mule deer than most people ever do. He found a rather large rattlesnake and I awarded him the rattles. He got to see and hear more turkeys come off the roost in one morning that most people see in their entire life.

I'm so proud of my big boy.[^] He was a trooper. He sometimes thought about wanting to go back to the house but he kept saying "I want a deer" and he stuck it out. He never got upset. He was quieter than I could imagine a 5 year old being. He listened to what I told him. He talked in a quiet whisper. The list goes on and on. I've never seen a boy his age act so mature!!!

BTW if the weather cooperates, we are going back with Grandpa this weekend. If that doesn't work out, we're going back between New Years Day and the end of the season. If that doesn't work out we are going back for the youth post season.

I think he'll get his deer this year.

suckersrus
12-31-2006, 00:50
Great pictures!

Taking your kid hunting is more fun that taking yourself hunting.

Just a couple of comments.

Chips for lunch? Git that boy some taters! He'll need energy for dragging a deer.

Git that boy a 410 barrel for that Contender. God made the 410 cartridge just for rattlesnakes.

I envy you.

Bitmap
12-31-2006, 08:38
He had a peanut butter sandwich, Doritos, granolla bars, gramm crackers, raisins, and a Snickers bar for lunch with Gatorade to drink. Seems like he had more than that but I can't remember what.

vafish
12-31-2006, 13:59
You need to get a shorter stock on that Contender.

Way to long for a little fellow like him.

Bitmap
12-31-2006, 18:30
You need to get a shorter stock on that Contender. Way to long for a little fellow like him.

Hence the 1X red dot. Eye relief is no problem. However, a stick-on or strap-on adjustable cheek rest would help. I've got one somewhere but haven't been able to find it.

vafish
01-01-2007, 19:41
Originally posted by Bitmap
Hence the 1X red dot. Eye relief is no problem. However, a stick-on or strap-on adjustable cheek rest would help. I've got one somewhere but haven't been able to find it.

Eye Relief is not a problem with the Red Dot, but it looks like he is holding it in the middle of his chest with his arms out stretched.

I like starting kids out with proper form.

I cut down the stock on a Marlin 60 for my kids at that age, and I cut down the stock of a Winchester 94 for my son to start hunting with at age 9.

Bitmap
01-02-2007, 06:42
. . . it looks like he is holding it in the middle of his chest with his arms out stretched.

You're right about how the pics look. In the first one he doesn't have the gun up yet. His finger is not on the trigger. In the second one I think he has fired a shot and taken the rifle down but not taken his finger off the trigger yet. His follow through is a little out of order? In both pics you can see he doesn't have the butt in his shoulder and doesn't have his face anywhere near the stock. The way the sun was shining half the pics I took looked like silhuettes (spelling?) so I used ones that you could actually see him.

Truth is that the stock is almost too long, but not quite.

vafish
01-02-2007, 09:24
You're right about how the pics look. In the first one he doesn't have the gun up yet. His finger is not on the trigger. In the second one I think he has fired a shot and taken the rifle down but not taken his finger off the trigger yet. His follow through is a little out of order? In both pics you can see he doesn't have the butt in his shoulder and doesn't have his face anywhere near the stock. The way the sun was shining half the pics I took looked like silhuettes (spelling?) so I used ones that you could actually see him.

Truth is that the stock is almost too long, but not quite.

Thanks for the explanation.

As for his follow through, I coach a couple of junior rifle teams. I have a lot of young boys that seem to want to lift their head off the stock to see where the shot went before the bullet gets out of the end of the barrel.

Anyhow, good on you for getting him shooting at a young age, and taking him hunting.

Bitmap
01-02-2007, 17:58
When he first started his follow through was so bad that he would let go of the rifle. I solved that problem but now he doesn't let go of the trigger.

Sharker
01-03-2007, 13:26
What a great post... so what has occured since this post. BTW what cal. is he going to actually hunt deer with?

Bitmap
01-04-2007, 06:34
It's a Marlin 336W .30-30 with a red dot sight on an XS scout mount. Ammuntion is Remington Managed Recoil. Ballistics are a 125gr. Corelokt at a nominal 2175fps which is a little hotter than a .30 Carbine but the rifle is a bit heavier. He doesn't mind the recoil. You can see in the last pic where we added 2x4s for him to use as a rest. There is no way he could shoot a rifle that size without a rest.

Looks like we are going this weekend to try again. This time Grandpa will be there to help. His big brother is going, too.

Sharker
01-04-2007, 09:17
Wow, sounds like you got a life long pair of hunting buddies...
Congrats, and good luck this weekend.

Bitmap
01-04-2007, 12:08
There are two more that aren't old enough to go yet, although the 3 year old likes to go shooting. I take him shooting by sitting on the front porch and sort of pointing the Red Ryder for him while he pulls the trigger. I've got him in the habit of wearing eye protection already.

I'll post pics of this weekend.

gruntmedik
01-06-2007, 11:32
To me, the experience of the hunt is the thrill. If I harvest game, great--if not, great--I still have just as much fun, I just come home cleaner. :supergrin: Good on ya for taking the kids along, it makes an already enjoyable experience priceless. :thumbsup:

mossy500camo
01-07-2007, 14:43
WOW! Great pics! :thumbsup:

Bitmap
01-08-2007, 06:47
Well, we didn't go this past weekend. First of all the weather. Temps predicted in the mid 20's to high teens for the lows. Grandpa and I both thought that was a little too cold for a 5 year old. According to Grandpa the low turned out to be right at 20F so for once the weatherman got it right. The second problem was that Grandpa got sick Friday night. He took my cousin and my cousin's son hunting Thursday and Friday morning. My cousin killed his first two deer, both antlerless. His son, who has killed at least a couple of deer, had fun advising him on gutting a deer. Right after that, Grandpa (that is my dad, but the kids call him Grandpa so I do, too.) started getting flu symtoms. My cousin and his son had to drive Grandpa home because he didn't think he could make it. Since Grandpa is 70 and usually doesn't get that sick my mom took him to the hospital. Turns out he had a bacterial infection in his stomach according to the Dr. I took that to mean that someone who handled his food didn't wash their hands. Dr. filled him up with antibiotics and he was up and around Saturday afternoon. Everything is fine today.

For those who want the details (and to make this a "Hunting" story, my cousin used a .300 Remington Ultra Mag. The two deer were a doe and her grown fawn that was still following her around. Range was less than 100 yards. Why did he use a .300 RUM? I have no idea.

That was the last day of the regular season, but in two weeks there is a youth post-season. If the weather and everyone's health will cooperate, we'll be out there.

Being a guide for the kids is more fun than hunting for yourself.

vafish
01-08-2007, 07:43

Being a guide for the kids is more fun than hunting for yourself.

+1

Now I know how my dad felt when he took me hunting.

My son shot his first deer this year.

I was a couple hundred yards away, but my heart jumped when I heard the rifle shot and knew it came from my sons direction. I about screamed with joy when he called on the radio to tell me he had one down.

That was early in the morning and we quit hunting for the day to go home and process it.

Now I'd much rather see my kids shoot a deer than shoot one myself.

Bitmap
01-09-2007, 06:29
Now I'd much rather see my kids shoot a deer than shoot one myself.

It's nice when they put something IN the freezer instead of only taking stuff OUT of the freezer, too.

Walter45Auto
01-09-2007, 21:01
AWESOME!:thumbsup:

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

duncan
03-06-2007, 17:27
This is a great hunting story.

I have a 13, 12, 10 year old boys and my 10 year old is probably going hunting with me first as he is quiet and still.

The older boys may need more time to have the patience of the sitting and stalking and observing.

Keep taking them out!

Don't forget to get them into Boy Scouts too. They can pick up their shooting badges, get an Eagle Scout, get some great values and leadership skills, and have a good leg up on the other guy when it comes to a job.

freakshow10mm
03-07-2007, 11:52
Awesome. Nice to see he is wearing eyes and ears even while hunting. I at least have ears on.

Dan in Alaska
03-07-2007, 13:39
Great photos and neat story. That's a heck of a snake! Thanks for sharing.