What's the odds of an assault weapon ban in 2007? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's the odds of an assault weapon ban in 2007?

oldsmith
12-30-2006, 17:06
I need a rifle to shoot 3 gun this year in .223. My preference is an AR but I don't want to sink funds into one and not be able to use it until I move.

The other option is something that might be exempt. The new Ruger Mini 14's are nice and I've been considering a Remington pump patrol carbine in .308 or .223.

I haven't been here too long. What's the political climate this year? Any rumblings yet?

WPD80
01-02-2007, 09:36
This is just my .02 cents worth, but I belive that there will be one in place before the end of 2007. I do think however, you may be alright as long as you owned one prior to the passing....

Tom

Tecumseh
01-02-2007, 10:58
Originally posted by WPD80
This is just my .02 cents worth, but I belive that there will be one in place before the end of 2007. I do think however, you may be alright as long as you owned one prior to the passing....

Tom :agree:

But not completely. I dont think their will be a grandfather clause in this one. I think it will be based off the Cook county one where there was no grandfathering of current guns.

hotpig
01-02-2007, 16:00
If they keep it like the one that almost made it last year there will be a grandfather clause. You can not order replacement parts so be gentle with what you have or get parts ahead of time.

On the other hand this was almost unopposed until the last minute. They can try to fake the pro gun groups out again by putting a ccw bill up as a diversion.All of the focus is put on the diversion while this monster grows in the back ground.

I think a good move for the anti's is to offer to let a ccw bill ride in exchange for not opposing the 50 caliber ban ie awb. Naturally they will make sure that the ccw fails at the last minute but too late for us to stop the awb from passing.

oldsmith
01-02-2007, 19:27
I am amazed at how many firearms companies and well known gunsmiths are based in Illinois. I hope the people of Chicago don't put an end to it in this state, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I may wait a little while before I take the plunge. I just hate the thought of buying my brother in Ohio a nice AR. I may not get it back. :sad:

JMag
01-02-2007, 20:25
Prior to the election....you're kidding, right?

hotpig
01-02-2007, 22:49
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=09400HB2414ham009&GA=94&SessionId=50&DocTypeId=HB&LegID=17433&DocNum=2414&GAID=8&Session=

oldsmith
01-03-2007, 16:51
I heard Daley on the radio today pushing for "common sense" STATE assault weapons ban on the way home from work.

It didn't take long for my question to be answered.

Thiokol
01-03-2007, 18:11
"Daley" & "common sense" are mutually exclusive terms.

hotpig
01-04-2007, 11:51
They should start working on this bill again after the seventh of this month. Unless it stays in committee longer.

The Mayor of Illinois has been talking it up. I have not heard anything from the Governor.

WPD80
01-04-2007, 14:45
This one has got me scared. I am hearing that there may be enough support from the Dem's in Illinois to get this one through. I sure as hell hope not. :sad: :shocked:

hunter2003
01-04-2007, 18:38
I don't think the downstate democrats will let it go through.

If it would, there is no way they could confiscate everything.

oldsmith
01-04-2007, 18:40
If they have the votes, I wouldn't expect them to make any gestures toward the gun lobby, like grandfathering, etc.

hotpig
01-04-2007, 20:36
The opposition to this was so light last year. I would be surprised it they did not add the rest of the semi auto rifles, military bolt action, lever action, and tube fed .22 rifles to the ban.

oldsmith
01-06-2007, 17:30
Originally posted by hotpig
The opposition to this was so light last year. I would be surprised it they did not add the rest of the semi auto rifles, military bolt action, lever action, and tube fed .22 rifles to the ban.

I hope you are just trying to make me depressed.

hotpig
01-06-2007, 18:20
I hope that a scare is all that it is.

This bill does not affect hunters so there is little protest from this segment of shooters.A shill bill for concealed carry keeps that segment of shooters occupied. Many of theses guys would gladly trade AWB for concealed carry.

I think this will go through with just token opposition. There are only two reasons that I can think of off hand that could slow or stop this.

First reason is shooters recognized what happened last year. We did not have a chance for cc. It was a diversion.

Second,gun owners unite against gun bans,even if it does no affect them.

United we stand divided we fall.

Rockdiver
01-07-2007, 20:39
I am wondering how people in IL can actually stand by and let this all happen.

hotpig
01-07-2007, 20:50
There is almost nothing that can be done. Illinois has a state within a state. They have the population so they run the whole show.

hotpig
01-07-2007, 21:09
This is how many of the Southern Illinois residents see the state. Attachment in the next post.

hotpig
01-07-2007, 21:11
My view of the state. The writting does not show well. From the top line up is all Chicago. The area in between the two lines is Central Illinois. The bottom is Southern Illinois.

VN350X10
01-11-2007, 23:12
With Chicago attempting to make sure ALL welfare & illegals get registered to vote, they get what they want based on gross population.

FWIW, an uncle who worked for the Chi. park dist. retired & moved to FL. Him & my aunt were STILL voting as recently as last election...big problem, they both have been DEAD for 14+ years & are no longer registered to vote in St.Augustine FL, but STILL vote in Chi.

How to achieve eternal life ?.....register to vote in Chi. & you live forever.

uncle albert

oldsmith
01-12-2007, 19:52
I've been here long enough to know I should be looking for single-shot .22's if I want to do any shooting. I wonder how competitive I'll be in 3 gun?

I'll stay in the fight to the end though.

Paul7
01-27-2007, 14:21
Originally posted by oldsmith
I've been here long enough to know I should be looking for single-shot .22's if I want to do any shooting. I wonder how competitive I'll be in 3 gun?

I'll stay in the fight to the end though.

The end is near.

Paul7
01-27-2007, 14:22
Originally posted by Rockdiver
I am wondering how people in IL can actually stand by and let this all happen.

The majority want it. The Nov. referendum on the proposed AWB got 86% of the vote.

VN350X10
01-27-2007, 16:54
You have to remember WHAT counties & precincts had the AWB question on the ballot. Virtually NONE of the collar or downstate counties voted for it on the referendum basis. The votes came from COOK COUNTY, aka The Kingdom of Daleyville !

Even downstate Democrats are against any more gun control (read "population control") laws, but would be willing to work on more CRIME control laws, which is what Daley, et al DON'T want, as it doesn't fit with their agenda.

The AWB "referendum" was a very carefully orchestrated, grandstanding, publicity stunt by Daley & "Baloneysandwich", his finger puppet in Springfield. It isn't the will of the people of the state if IL !

uncle albert

hotpig
01-27-2007, 18:24
Pretty much we are powerless to stop this. It does not matter how we the people feel about it. Only a small percentage of gun owners make their feelings know to our elected officials. Giving money to pro gun organizations do next to nothing. Phone, fax, and email are the only things that will count in this battle.

VN350X10
01-27-2007, 21:26
This is the best time to get to know your reps FACE to FACE !
Whenever they schedule a town hall meeting, road opening, bridge dedication, local P.R. stop of any kind, BE THERE !!!
Bring friends, Don't wear camo, act civilized & sound intelligent.
Ask about voting on any & all gun related bills, ask how & WHY ?
The more people that the pols see face to face asking about an issue, the more effect it will have.
Get to know your local precinct commiteeman, he (she) can & will help you to get to meet your reps. It's part of their job & that way you will remember them. They too are an elected,(but unpaid)position & it's where most pols start. Most even have some of the private addresses to send mail if you don't want to go thru a staff peon. If it gets sent to the home or local office, there is a better chance that it will get read by the person you want to read it.
Remember, be polite, but firm. Good manners can help, ranting & raving just destroy good will.

In case you're wondering, I was a comitteeman for about 8 yrs. in Lake Co. & knew about 75% of the local pols on sight & they knew me. Part of the job, remember ? Also knew the state & fed reps. I took it as a personal insult when Melissa Bean defeated Phil Crane. FWIW, he never lost in my old precinct !

uncle albert

oldsmith
01-28-2007, 19:28
Originally posted by VN350X10
You have to remember WHAT counties & precincts had the AWB question on the ballot. Virtually NONE of the collar or downstate counties voted for it on the referendum basis. The votes came from COOK COUNTY, aka The Kingdom of Daleyville !

Even downstate Democrats are against any more gun control (read "population control") laws, but would be willing to work on more CRIME control laws, which is what Daley, et al DON'T want, as it doesn't fit with their agenda.

The AWB "referendum" was a very carefully orchestrated, grandstanding, publicity stunt by Daley & "Baloneysandwich", his finger puppet in Springfield. It isn't the will of the people of the state if IL !

uncle albert

I'm new here, but I think there are about 9 million people in Chicago and 2-3 million in the rest of the state. That means about 2/3 of the state legislature is from Chicago area. I don't think our chances are very good.

VN350X10
01-28-2007, 20:57
oldsmith,
read your avitar...4 mi from freedom...curious, what direction, N,S, E, or W ??

Yeah, Chi does have a lot of pull, too much for the good of the rest of us.

uncle albert

oldsmith
01-29-2007, 18:20
oldsmith,
read your avitar...4 mi from freedom...curious, what direction, N,S, E, or W ??

Yeah, Chi does have a lot of pull, too much for the good of the rest of us.

uncle albert

Nominally, north to freedom. I'm just north of Rockford. I could have moved to Wisconsin, I've got no one to blame but myself. But it's a long sad story...

VN350X10
01-29-2007, 19:37
Just a bit closer than me...(not much)

Have you ever shot at Pine Tree Pistol Club ? Best range/club in the area. Just a bit too far away for me to join it.

uncle

oldsmith
01-30-2007, 18:56
Just a bit closer than me...(not much)

Have you ever shot at Pine Tree Pistol Club ? Best range/club in the area. Just a bit too far away for me to join it.

uncle

I've seen it on their website. They have IDPA and other such matches right?

As soon as I get my FOID I'll be looking to join somewhere.

speedracer815
01-31-2007, 15:17
I'm in Rockford. I was a PTPC member for several years, but got away from shooting regularly. Now I'm back and rejoining.

VN350X10
01-31-2007, 19:39
Fantastic USPSA match this weekend at PTPC.
W.I.I.T. 2007

9 stages, lots of rounds, lots of fun.

unfortunately, I had to drop out due to medical problems, let my slot go to somebody on the waiting list.

If you get a chance, stop in & check it out. There'll be a lot of Glock shooters there !
Match runs both Sat & Sun

tell them uncle albert sent you.

OhioLibertarian
01-31-2007, 19:54
I wonder what they would do if about 8 or 10,000 gun owners assembled and said they would not comply no matter the cost.

It works for the illegals.

VN350X10
01-31-2007, 19:58
That possibility was one of the scenarieos discussed in the "Illinois Shooter", the paper from the Ill State Rifle Assn. this past issue.

uncle albert