Just Read the Carjacking Sticky... No concealed carry here [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just Read the Carjacking Sticky... No concealed carry here

lenni
12-30-2006, 22:36
So what does one do in the situation that was described where someone bumps the car, or does other odd things and there is no concealed carry law.

My friend lived in TX long long ago and had an unregistered pistol in her purse. The cops stopped her for something and saw it, they didn't even blink an eye. Must have been back in the early 70s when it happened. I don't think that would happen now.

Perhaps I should carry a flare gun in the car or something.

What has struck me about this carjacking thread are the "casual" attitudes that the perps take up while moving in for the kill, and how quickly these situations pop up.

It would be helpful if people would describe the race and nationality of the perps, and their respective behaviors. It helps us all get a better "read" of different perps.

mangkukhan
12-31-2006, 02:36
You are in a car, and considering they want to take the car they probably havent hit you so hard you cant drive, so if you see a gun press the gas peddle thingamajigger.

MrsKitty
12-31-2006, 07:11
Open carry ;)

lenni
12-31-2006, 07:11
But if I was accidentally rear-ended by a law-abiding citizen and took off, It would muck up my chances for getting compensation for damages.

I was really just wondering about weapon alternatives.

I know the city (jungle) of Chicago now has obstructions in roads to make it difficult to get through certain neighborhoods. I believe the intent was to make it harder for criminals to make a getaway. But it also makes it very easy for someone who is lost to get trapped down a very nasty street.

MrsKitty
12-31-2006, 07:12
I have a 6-D cell Maglite in my car.

Atlantya
12-31-2006, 15:35
Originally posted by lenni
But if I was accidentally rear-ended by a law-abiding citizen and took off, It would muck up my chances for getting compensation for damages.

But if you were accidentally rear-ended by what seems like a law-abiding citizen in an area where you felt comfortable because it was generally known to be safe, the other person wasn't acting in a threatening manner, you remembered to stay in your car and not get out of it for any reason until the police showed up (or if they don't show up for these sorts of accidents where you live, then the family member/significant other/friend you called shows up), then why would you feel the need to take off? Why would you feel the need to do anything other than to stay inside your car, doors locked and stay watchfully aware of your surroundings until someone else arrived?

And if you found yourself having been rear-ended by someone who probably was a law-abiding citizen, but for some reason, you weren't having any of it because something didn't feel right so you decided to take off, well, eat ramen noodles until you pay off the repairs. Something didn't feel right. At least you trusted yourself and you lived to tell the tale.

I was really just wondering about weapon alternatives.

I think instead of weapon alternatives, asking yourself how do I first avoid getting into situations where I'm going to find myself needing a weapon would be a better question. Then, once you've got the basics down, advancing to various self-defense and self-rescue techniques can become useful.

And, like MissKitty says, I like my 6 D cell MagLite.

mangkukhan
12-31-2006, 19:09
I dont live in Chicago, Im down near St. Louis but as I recall Tazers are still legal to carry in Illinois, but they are rediculously expensive, and Chicago being Chicago might have a city ordinance prohibiting them, plus even if they dont Chicago cops would probably violate your $%^ regardless if they found you with one.

lenni
12-31-2006, 22:57
I don't live in Ill. I live in WI. I would say the odds of my being in such a situation are fairly small because I'm in a rural area. But things happen in parking lots, etc. More things will be happening with the illegal invasion in rural areas.

I do have friends in big cities. I also have a maglite, perhaps I'll start keeping it in the car.

Miss Kitty, love your avatar!

:supergrin:

MrsKitty
01-01-2007, 08:56

Miss Kitty, love your avatar!

:supergrin:

:supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

AnimalK made it for me ;)

lenni
01-01-2007, 09:14
... :D I just visualize you looking just like that during the carjacking, holding a pistol - that same look on your face! :supergrin:

As to tasers:
"and Chicago being Chicago might have a city ordinance prohibiting them, plus even if they dont Chicago cops would probably violate your $%^ regardless if they found you with one."

Yes I think that may be case anywhere with any weapon that is legal and exclusively used as a weapon. Cops will come down on you for it regardless of legality.

Lady27
01-02-2007, 07:43
Originally posted by mangkukhan
You are in a car, and considering they want to take the car they probably havent hit you so hard you cant drive, so if you see a gun press the gas peddle thingamajigger.

Unless you are boxed in it looks like your car is still your best weapon, at least in areas where guns and other weapons are prohibited. It's not like you are going to pull out for no reason. But keep it running and in gear. If someone approaches and shows a weapon then you need to step on it...Just MHO

This is complicated for me as my vehicle is older, with nonfunctioning electronic door locks. I do, however, live in a small town area, and carry is legal.

Mrs. Tink
01-02-2007, 09:15
My friend lived in TX long long ago and had an unregistered pistol in her purse. The cops stopped her for something and saw it, they didn't even blink an eye. Must have been back in the early 70s when it happened. I don't think that would happen now.

Do you mean the gun was unregistered, or your friend had no permit? Many states with concealed carry laws do not require the registration of the actual weapon, but rather require the carrier to have a license to do so.

Plus, it depends on the area... many rural areas of the West and Midwest grew up around guns and the gun culture, and are not spooked by guns in the car like city cops can be.

I think people that want to hurt you have already made assumptions that you are a viable target. Your best option is to dissuade them of that notion... either by getting away, or using some other method of surprise. Alternative weapons besides guns are difficult unless you are close to the attacker--which you don't want to be! :shocked: