Elyria Wal-Mart pulls guns [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Elyria Wal-Mart pulls guns

odgreen17
01-02-2007, 16:56
WoW went to Wal-Mart today to buy ammo and low and behold they have pulled all there guns. What a shocker that is, just picked up ammo there last week and they had guns there. Another one bites the dust I guess. As for ammo they had no 9mm at all, very,very little .45 acp, but had plenty of .38 loads. I guess this one (Wal-Mart) figured it was not profitable or there wasn't enough demand to sell guns anymore at their store. I did ask the the associate behind the counter for another box of ammo and they said they had to get a Manager for the keys to the case. They said they are no longer allowed to have the keys anymore for the case. I guess it's time for me to look into reloading now since I have no idea if they will even continue to carry ammo, and the other stores around here are at least a couple bucks more a box. Just thought I would let everyone know since I had posted they still sold guns on another thread.

birddog1
01-04-2007, 18:38
I saw the same thing at the Wal-Mart on Tuscarawas St in Canton. I was there before Christmas and they still had them but not yesterday. They had a sign posted on the case saying they are no longer authorized to sell firearms. If they get rid of the ammo, I have no reason to shop at WM

Beeman
01-04-2007, 21:24
I think the Super Wal-Mart in Clayton is doing the same thing. They only had one gun when I went in yesterday. Oh well, I still have Olde English Outfitters in Tipp City.

anyplainjoe
01-06-2007, 00:18
The guns are gone in the Reynoldsburg WM. However ammo will continue, just a little low right now.

LabTech
01-13-2007, 16:56
Firearms are disappearing fast from Athens Wal-Mart too. We stopped in today and at least half the guns are gone. The boy behind the counter told me that Jan. 20th is the last day for gun sales with whatever is left after that to be shipped back to wherever. Ammo sales supposedly are to continue as before. Just thought you'd like to know.

odgreen17
01-21-2007, 20:58
WOW who knows whats going on, got back off the road friday went in sunday and guess what? Guns back on display, must have pulled for inventory or something. Only a couple guns on the rack though, didn't bother to ask. Still no 9mm or 45acp ammo on the shelf.

AJE
01-21-2007, 23:01
Gone in Piqua too :sad:

APGlock27
01-22-2007, 05:34
No guns in Miamisburg either, but they still have ammo.

mattswabb
01-25-2007, 14:18
They are back in Elyria's Walmart. I was in last week and the guns are back. The clerk said they wer loosing money.

anyplainjoe
01-25-2007, 14:57
that's amazing.

lethrnk
01-26-2007, 15:02
The walmart in Athens never really handled that many guns anyway... I believe it's more of a business decision than it is political... I do hope they continue to carry ammo though...

LabTech
01-26-2007, 19:46
Originally posted by lethrnk
The walmart in Athens never really handled that many guns anyway... I believe it's more of a business decision than it is political... I do hope they continue to carry ammo though...

Logan store always had a better selection. Have you been to it? I haven't been up that way in a little while and I wondered about their gun sales.

ampleworks
01-26-2007, 22:14
Circleville had a sign on the door saying 2/7/07 would be last day to buy there.

Given the INSANE rise in prices, $8-10 on some items, I won't be shooting unless I can reload for it so it doesn't effect me much.

anyplainjoe
01-27-2007, 16:33
The Polaris WM is super stocked up on ammo and guns.

LabTech
01-27-2007, 17:34
Went to Athens WM today and guns are officially history. Nothing but empty cases. 9mm WWB bulk pack is also over $14.00 now. WM is quickly heading to my most hated list. Looks like I'll have to start making a periodic trip to Buckeye Outdoors and buy in bulk there. Is WM knuckling under to the commie tree huggers or is the gun sales just not profitable enough for them. I've heard both excuses. Either way...I'm disgusted.

anyplainjoe
01-28-2007, 08:13
I think the sales just aren't cutting it. Most of the guns they stock are generally a once in 10 years type item (ie 30-30's and hunting 12 gauges), not the spur of the moment pistol at a local gunshop. Plus, I go to WM at least 4 times a week for the last several years now, only seen or heard of a gun sale on the PA maybe three times.

KnightOfTheOlde
02-04-2007, 12:38
What the selection or lack there of on firearms on 23 in Delaware?

anyplainjoe
02-04-2007, 19:39
...ammo only for a number of months now...

Tinamil
02-05-2007, 11:15
The Logan Walmart still has a full display of guns for sale, I went through there this weekend.

AJE
02-07-2007, 13:37
No more ammo in Piqua :crying:

anyplainjoe
02-07-2007, 13:46
wow.

standerson
02-08-2007, 04:30
Beavercreek Wal Mart pulled their long guns. They still carry ammo, even Blazer Brass. The sporting goods manager will cut a little bit of a deal on case lots. It takes 2 - 3 weeks to get it in though.

MarkH1254
02-17-2007, 17:41
Hi,

I was at the Parmatown Walmart yesterday evening. While waiting for someone in Sporting Goods, I struck up a conversation with another guy waiting.

I was commenting how it was odd that they never sold guns at this Walmart. When it first opened three years ago I had been told it was because they were too close to the private church school on the corner. I accepted that until Dick's opened up a store right next to Walmart, which does sell rifles and shotguns.

To make a long story short, this guy claimed to be a member of the NRA and had read in a periodical of their's that Walmart had lost their FFL license to sell Firearms in all of Ohio due to errors in processing them. Has anyone else heard or read that?

Thanks
Mark

anyplainjoe
02-17-2007, 18:23
Why aren't you a NRA member. That's the more important question!!!

Haven't heard that, the Polaris store was selling guns as of last night. Prob just false info, since WM has publically said some stores just aren't selling enough.

glockess56
02-22-2007, 01:18
Yes, the Polaris (Lewis Center) sells guns and ammo. The guy in sporting goods always asks in I need some ammo when I go there! He was showing a man a Henry rifle when I was there last. This is the best Wal-Mart store. Some of the WM in Columbus (actually in city) don't sell guns, but do sell ammo. I always attributed that to the Columbus law about selling guns in the city, since it's crazy. But, no, I haven't heard any rumors about Wal-Mart losing their FFL. I did hear a rumor a while back about one store doing the sale wrong, but I think it was corrected how they did things. To me, Wal-Mart is a very gun friendly retail establishment.

anyplainjoe
02-22-2007, 08:02
Are you speaking about Dutch? White hair and beard? He's one nice guy, retired from a much better job than WalMart, and has alot of knowledge.

Yosemite
02-22-2007, 23:01
Went to the Wal-Mart by Tuttle Mall yesterday, they took down their sporting goods counter with the knives and ammo.

Probably a good idea, since no one is ever at that counter and the last time I went there I had to wait 20 minutes for them to find the key to unluck the case.

glockess56
02-22-2007, 23:13
The new Wal-Mart at Bethal Road (Columbus) below Sawmill Rd, has the ammo out on a shelf as self serve. It's not behind the counter, just walk up to the shelf and get the ammo off the shelf. There's no guns, there, though, but plenty of ammo. I've never seen one set up this way. There's even shelves behind the counter that customers can walk up too (fishing stuff), with the counter in the middle. They might not have guns because this could be considered "Columbus" city and they have weird things to do when you buy a gun. Like, you have to go to the city office and buy a permit (used to be $5.00) then go back and buy your gun. It's too much of a hassle to have to do that for a sale.

anyplainjoe
02-23-2007, 09:29
I think having the ammo out where anyone can grab it is a disaster waiting on a newscrew.

Yosemite
02-23-2007, 16:28
A friend told me that the Wal-Mart in Marysville has the ammo out in the open, but just behind a counter. It's not quite self serve, because you're supposed to have someone check you at that counter.

I might check out the Bethel Rd location the next time I'm in need. Thanks.

Yosemite
03-02-2007, 18:11
Price check-

I just paid $14.56 for a 100rd pack of WWD 9mm @ Marysville WM. That's about $2 more than the last time I picked these up. Also picked up some 50rd 147gr JHP WWB for $14.77. Never shot it before, so I thought I'd give it a try .

It seems like I'll soon be shopping around online for some bulk ammo very soon.

anyplainjoe
03-02-2007, 18:55
Even with WM's price increase, its usually still cheaper than buying bulk from somewhere else.

SBM
03-02-2007, 19:55
Im not in OH, but had to jump in on this one.
I went by the local Wally World to see if they had, or could get the Blazers that you guys are talking about, and as luck would have it, the wife of a friend of mine was working, shes been there a while, known her husband since I was 16 as he gave me my first traffic ticket...and I asked about them.
Nada.
Looked at the WWB .45 they had, 100rds, and its gone up yet again, $29 a box.
Noticed that the gun rack was getting REAL slim pickins and I asked about that...and they are selling out of what they have and they are gone too. Not going to stock firearms, OR ammo after August. She said, and let me see, the memo they had on sales, and how it stated that it was all across NC and eventually will be company wide. I WISH I could get a copy of it, and know thats prob futile, but it seems so far, (at least till its set in stone to the general public) that Wally Worlds getting out of the gun business.

anyplainjoe
03-02-2007, 20:10
Ut-oh.

Stevearino
03-02-2007, 20:12
Not from Ohio but there was a news story on this a year or two ago that they were going to start pulling guns from stores that don't have a high enough volume.

Its a national thing.

Yosemite
03-03-2007, 00:22
Just looked around at bit....

Local Columbus area, Vance's seems to be the cheapest. On their flyer they have CCI Blazer Brass / WWB 50rd packs for $6.99+tax of course.

Or looking on the other GT forums. Natchez CCI Blazer Aluminum for $5.99/box. With shipping, it still only worked out to be about $13.70 per 100 rounds and you don't even have to leave the comfort of your own home.

-Yosemite

SBM
03-03-2007, 01:02
Originally posted by Stevearino
Not from Ohio but there was a news story on this a year or two ago that they were going to start pulling guns from stores that don't have a high enough volume.

Its a national thing.

Then they need to define "volume"

I know good and well they sell well here. The wife and myself have even played with the idea of hiring on some more people, and getting an FFL and opening a store. This area is one that if you have any kind of selection at all, you are going to sell guns.
After what I saw today, Im sure that its a slow, but sure wave to simply remove them from all stores. Probably to return one day...