Who would buy a PHEV if it had 100+MPG? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who would buy a PHEV if it had 100+MPG?

ARGlock
01-04-2007, 00:21
This is sort of a non official poll to see what the average response would be today on PHEV's.

If Toyota or some other major car maker decided to build a PHEV (plug-in hybrid electric vehicle) that averaged 100 mpg or higher who all on this forum would seriously consider buying one? This would be a car that would plug into a standard house 110 outlet and would charge off the grid typically at night when demand is lower.

Just curious what Glockers think of this new technology.

Happy New Year!
ARGlock

epsylum
01-04-2007, 18:38
Its a trade off IMO. Your eletric bill will go up. If a lot of people bought them, electricity demand will go up and so will the price of it. Plug-in cars are not a viable option IMO. In terms of pollution they are trading gasoline pollution (from an internal combustion engine) for coal (from the power plant).

I will still buy the high MPG all gasoline powered car that has a known track recod for reliability and readily availible parts with known prices. Ever price out replacement batteries for a Prius? Trust me, you don't want to.

Rob1035
01-04-2007, 19:56
I'm with EP, I'd rather have a Honda FIT or civic or whatever; the battery packs scare me.

Warp
01-04-2007, 21:04
I would not buy a plug in.

I would buy a gas/electric hybrid. No plugs, though.

Toxie
01-04-2007, 23:28
HOw about . .

No.

ARGlock
01-05-2007, 19:51
Originally posted by epsylum
Its a trade off IMO. Your eletric bill will go up. If a lot of people bought them, electricity demand will go up and so will the price of it. Plug-in cars are not a viable option IMO. In terms of pollution they are trading gasoline pollution (from an internal combustion engine) for coal (from the power plant).

I will still buy the high MPG all gasoline powered car that has a known track recod for reliability and readily availible parts with known prices. Ever price out replacement batteries for a Prius? Trust me, you don't want to.

Thanks for your post epsylum!

I would have to agree with you in regard to the trade off on pollution unless wind, solar, hydro or some other renewable energy were used to produce the electricity to charge the car. Today we commisioned a solar net-metering system which could be used to charge a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. It was quite amazing to watch the utility workers watching the meter turn backwards at quite a high speed! It was the first time they had ever seen that happen before.

For people that would like to do a little reading on PHEV's, you can visit: www.calcars.org (note the cost of electricty for the PHEV)
Another good renewable site is: www.renewableenergyaccess.com
I was also surprised that President Bush talked about PHEV's in a recent news conference since he has been so linked to oil.

As they increase the production of hybrids hopefully the batteries will come down in price and also be of higher capacity and quality.
Chevron in the past has tried to corner the market on the batteries for the hybrids and not allow car makers to have them. This is found in wikipedia under: Plug-in Hybred Electric Vehicles

Happy Shooting!
ARGlock

Cochese
01-07-2007, 03:05
I'd rather buy a honda CRX HF that gets 50 mpg for a grand.

michael t
01-07-2007, 16:07
Bring one to my house I need a new target. I AIN'T DRIVING NO TREE HUGGER CAR.

Warp
01-07-2007, 17:35
Originally posted by michael t

Why is that?

ARGlock
01-07-2007, 22:00

Thanks for your comments, but it ain't about TREE HUGGERS my friend. It's about keeping dollars in your wallet. At least my wallet anyway.

Did you see where General Motors announced their new concept car the Volt today at the big car show?? It gets 50 MPG even when not plugging it into your home outlet, charges up in six hours and seats 5. There is no transmission as we know one but an all electric drive train. Very neat car!

People who like to believe we need oil gusling cars must like the thoughts of seeing kids come home in body bags!! We don't need their STinking Oil!!! We really Don't folks!!

By the way, we stopped giving our Natural Gas Utility 400.00 every month and started spending 100.00 or less/month on Oak Pellets. Are we TREE HUGGERS or HAVE MORE MONEY IN OUR WALLET???
:wavey:

Happy Shooting!
ARGlock

muscogee
01-07-2007, 22:09
That depends on the cost and reliability. I understand that the batteries have to be replaced every 50,000 miles at a cost of $5,000. I can buy a lot of gasoline for that. If the technology improves and the price of the vehicle is comparable to a gasoline operated auto, I might consider it.

44Henry
01-16-2007, 21:50
Not in my lifetime!I'm happy with the 33mpg I get from my Monte Carlo SS.

Incidently,how do you get mpg's from an electric car?:upeyes:

Warp
01-16-2007, 21:53
Originally posted by 44Henry
Not in my lifetime!I'm happy with the 33mpg I get from my Monte Carlo SS.

But what do you get in the city?

44Henry
01-16-2007, 21:56
Originally posted by Warp
But what do you get in the city?

Roughly 25/26.

epsylum
01-18-2007, 18:56
Originally posted by 44Henry
Incidently,how do you get mpg's from an electric car?:upeyes:

It is not completely electric. It is a hybrid that runs more on the electric side and uses the gas engine just enough to increase its range to a useable distance. That is why you have to still plug it in.

silentpoet
01-20-2007, 03:36
Interested, maybe. It depends on what the real financial numbers actually are.

And plus you have to watch out for increased SMUG emissions.

lonewolfmcquade
02-01-2007, 00:14
Unfortunately I don't think there is any PHEV that is cost effective within 4-5 years over a simliar gas guzzler. And yes batteries do present a future large expense (and eco-hazard). Current PHEV's are maintenance nightmares. And don't even get me started on electric "REV" vehicles.

The problem with electric vehicles is that there is no easy way to store electricity in the quantity and density you need for an automobile. Maybe in the future, but today there are none. Liquid fuels still reign supreme and gasoline unfortunately is hard to beat for the amount of energy stored.

My money right now is on biodiesel. Granted that will still only solve a small portion of our energy problems, but it is a VERY green and practical fuel. Until then I guess we will have to stick to ethanol blends (still not exactly a great fuel) or just plain old gasoline.

And ARGlock, lay off the oil guzzling - blood for oil rhetoric... Nobody here wants to see Americans come home in body bags so don't blame me or anyone else driving "oil guslers" for your misplaced anger. Your statement sickens me.

-justin

HollowHead
02-22-2007, 23:30

You sound just like that junkie dope fiend Rush Limbaugh. HH

sasq
02-23-2007, 08:27
Honda CIVIC for reliability

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=Civic+Coupe

I actually considered the hybrids. But our research convinced us that the hybrids do not have any reliability records YET. We also learned that the battery system will have to be replaced after thousands of miles. We bought the civic coupe because of :
High mileage
Safety (lots of air bags), Still worried about size and impact with huge vehicles
Front wheel drive for the snow- I made through this years tough CO snow season (did get stuck once at a my street crossing). A good Samarian with 4x4 pulled me out. -I know keep rope tow in trunk. I did look at getting a used vehicle with huge tires and a lifter kit, but then the drifts melted and I was fine.
We think I will get over 200k miles out of this car.
The dash looks real cool (split blue digital read out)
http://automobiles.honda.com/models/mov_iframe.asp?type=photo&path=/2007/civic_coupe/interior_gallery/large11.jpg&caption=The%20centerpiece%20of%20the%20Civic%20is%20the%20revolutionary%20cockpit.&autoplay=false&width=456&height=342&volume=100&Frame*********%23FFFFFF

The coupe outside looks like a sports car (without the horse power)
http://automobiles.honda.com/models/mov_iframe.asp?type=photo&path=/2007/civic_coupe/exterior_gallery/large1.jpg&caption=The%20Civic%20delivers%20on%20its%20sporty-good-looks%20promise%20with%20serious%20power%20and%20handling%20capabilities.%20%20%20%20%28Civic%20EX%2 0shown%20with%20dealer-installed%20accessory%20HFP%20package.%29&autoplay=false&width=456&height=342&volume=100&Frame*********%23FFFFFF

My directionally challenged Sonís coupe also has the nav system which is fun, but I bought off the lot and have gps for my laptop if needed but mostly it is my back/forth commute car.