Where are Columbus PD's old Smith 45's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where are Columbus PD's old Smith 45's

anyplainjoe
01-04-2007, 22:19
Does anyone know what the Columbus PD did with their old Smith 45's? I was hoping to get one on a great deal.

degoodman
01-05-2007, 00:06
If they went anywhere, they probably went back to Smith as part of an exchange for the M&P's. If not, you can guaran-dam-tee that the CPD will take them down to Columbus Steel Castings and melt 100% of them down before they gave/sold them to Vances to put on the street.

I bet however that they're still sitting in the armory. I don't think the Department is 100% transitioned yet, so if they do ship them out, they'll probably go out as a group.

Captain Rehab
01-05-2007, 00:10
Do you know who supplied them with their current weapons?
THAT company probably received the old guns as credit towards the new purchase, and will resell them.

Also, the officers may have contract language giving them the chance to buy their old guns outright.

WILLSARV
01-07-2007, 20:06
What is the current issue for Columbus Police?

degoodman
01-08-2007, 00:40
They are in the process of transitioning form the S&W 4516 (which is no longer offered, which I sure had some bearing on the decision to transition) to the M&P 40, with magazine disconnect.

Additionally, There are plainclothes officers that carried 3913 9mm's, and I believe that there are at least a few officers carrying 4" smith 686's from before the .45's, which they chose not to transition from. All of those guys I've seen were wearing stripes or better, and only on "special duty" type assignments like Jazz and Ribs or Comfest.

I've heard varying opinions on what the reserves carry, some indicating that it was whatever they could qualify with, since their equipment purchases are on their own nickel, to being issued with whatever the active CPD is carrying.

KnightOfTheOlde
01-30-2007, 08:06
I heard thru the grapevine that the officers are being given the option to purchase their duty 4506s. apparently there's some controversy because the officers may not be required to go thru the normal ffl process.

So far I haven't seen any CPD with M@P .40s. I was kinda hoping they'd wait and chose the .45 ACP version. Oh well guess they want to fit in with the majority of LEO's who now carry .40 S@W.

Since Columbus is moving from a DA/SA handgun to a DAO striker I do hope they give their people the necessary training.

anyplainjoe
01-30-2007, 08:30
Several times now I've seen officers with the M&P40.

glockenbill
02-04-2007, 13:49
they are supposed to be traded in plus $1.00 for new weapons . m&p 40 changeover to be complete by the end of march ,with 8 hour training .

anyplainjoe
02-04-2007, 19:37
Remeber from RoboCop...I'd buy that for a dollar!

ede
02-05-2007, 03:48
Originally posted by KnightOfTheOlde
Since Columbus is moving from a DA/SA handgun to a DAO striker I do hope they give their people the necessary training.

story in the Dispatch yesterday about it, said there have been a few ADs which is uspect were really NDs.

InlineSpeeder
02-12-2007, 00:22
Vances

anyplainjoe
02-12-2007, 07:25
Originally posted by InlineSpeeder
Vances How much, what condition, and any special markings?