For those that carry a concealed carry handbag [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : For those that carry a concealed carry handbag

dst10spr97
01-06-2007, 07:19
Do you use the holster that came with it or do you use another holster of your choosing? I just purchased a Coronado American Hobo that comes with the stealth holster that sticks in the concealed carry compartment via velcro. However I find it easier to just stick it in my Mikes Sidekick and stick it in the purse. When trying to use the holster that came with the purse before you even get the handgun inside the compartment the holster starts sticking to the velcro!

Cat91
01-06-2007, 14:58
I use the same bag, but I use the Coronado holster. I Velcro it in before I put the gun in it. Works okay for me-better than the purse I was using before.

Miao, Cat

MrsKitty
01-06-2007, 16:47
I have an extra Velcro holster I use to hold my gun in place when I hide it at my feet under the floor mat while driving. Carpet and Velcro keep it right where I can grab it easily if I need it.

SARDG
01-10-2007, 13:15
Over on this thread - which really started as "Slingshotting the (Kahr) CW9" - you will find an account of some of the drama that unfolded during a purse snatching that I endured a few years back:
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=7484843 My account is toward the bottom of page 1. Lynn D has a comment in there, too.

It happened fast, as I was exiting my vehicle, and went downhill very quickly. It's one reason why I suppose I (and any LE that I know), are generally against purse carry for women. Well, men too, probably. I'm a heck of a lot more "aware" now, than then, but **** happens. The thread deteriorated into a discussion of crime in "good" neighborhoods. Still a "good" subject.

There is also an account of a home invasion/robbery that happened to me when I lived in Waikiki.

Stay safe.

SARDG

HK45Mark23
01-10-2007, 14:18
Originally posted by SARDG
Over on this thread - which really started as "Slingshotting the (Kahr) CW9" - you will find an account of some of the drama that unfolded during a purse snatching that I endured a few years back:
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=7484843 My account is toward the bottom of page 1. Lynn D has a comment in there, too.

It happened fast, as I was exiting my vehicle, and went downhill very quickly. It's one reason why I suppose I (and any LE that I know), are generally against purse carry for women. Well, men too, probably. I'm a heck of a lot more "aware" now, than then, but **** happens. The thread deteriorated into a discussion of crime in "good" neighborhoods. Still a "good" subject.

There is also an account of a home invasion/robbery that happened to me when I lived in Waikiki.

Stay safe.

SARDG

So what do you recommend for a woman?

My girlfriend is considering getting a permit and carrying.

How should she conceal carry in a dress for formal occasions? How about casual wear?

One good point for the purse is that it is totally concealed and in a bag that she would already be carrying all the time.

I think it would be hard for a young woman to carry in a shoulder or hip holster and still be cute, or in style and womanly/girly. It could seriously hide her awesome figure.

I am sure she does not want to give up appearance by having cover clothing. We did also consider an inside the thigh holster for when in a dress, but where do we go from there.

She is interested in a G-27 and she is 24 years old.

DMNSPD
01-10-2007, 14:52
My wife is 22 years old and carries a G27 in a Coronado purse right now. I have issues with this for the fact that she usually has her purse but not always. I'm concerned with purse snatches and the fact that purse draw is comparatively slow unless you already have your hand in the pouch and ready to pull the gun.

But she wants to still wear girly clothes. I'm not sure what kind of holster is out there for women in this situation. Next winter I plan to purchase a shoulder holster for her and for myself but we live in AZ so summer time clothing can be an issue.

For the women in the warmer states - how do you carry your Glock (yes, she wants to carry her G27 regardless) and still stay "girly" looking?

SARDG
01-10-2007, 15:04
Originally posted by HK45Mark23
So what do you recommend for a woman?
How should she conceal carry in a dress for formal occasions? How about casual wear?

One good point for the purse is that it is totally concealed and in a bag that she would already be carrying all the time.

I think dresses are tough - unless it's a two piece dress which wouldn't be very formal, would it?

A thigh holster would probably work - perhaps someone else has a good idea.

But women put their purses "down", often. One second, one time, and it could be gone. If she doesn't put it down, it may still be easily taken from her (I'm guessing). Perhaps you need to accompany her to these occasions, and you carry. Won't help her cause though, if you two get separated.

I think it would be hard for a young woman to carry in a shoulder or hip holster and still be cute, or in style and womanly/girly. It could seriously hide her awesome figure.

I am sure she does not want to give up appearance by having cover clothing.
You won't generally get an argument from me there. But she could certainly still be stylish. I'm afraid that I've adjusted my wardrobe for conceal carry lately - but then again, I'm not 24, or 34, or 44... Uhh, better stop there.

Inside the Waistband (IWB) tends to work pretty well though, and some are tuckable if she wants to wear a shirt or blouse and tuck it in her slacks or jeans. Small of Back may be an option and one of the IWBs that are tuckable could work back there and not spoil your view.;) This may be tough to get to though, when you really need it. You've got 1.5 seconds at 7 yards, to make a difference.

She is interested in a G-27 and she is 24 years old.
One option would be to get a more concealable gun. The 27 is fatter than some single stack "micro" guns that still offer the .40 cal. Also, if she would consider dropping in fire power, a 9mm would be even smaller and a .380 smaller than that.

I'm sure you'll get some additional replies here.

Cat91
01-10-2007, 17:19
I use my purse when I'm in work clothes. It is because I can't carry a full size handgun on my person when wearing a business suit. And a minigun is useless to me-I can't hit the broadside of a barn at three feet with anything less than a 3 1/2 inch barrel. Tho with the SIG I can put ten in a handspan group in the 10-ring at seven yards every time. Women's things are too fragile to bear up and you print like crazy even with a concealment rig. I'm fine in jeans, or even slacks. I use a DeSantis Speed Scabbard under an Israeli bodyguard jacket in jeans, and a long shirt or light blazer in slacks. But it just doesn't work with a suit and skirt, especially the lightweight Italian stuff I wear to the office.

I can haul the SIG out of my Coronado in 1.7 seconds and get off one halfway decent shot. We've tested it. I use the big Velcro holster, the one that Velcros over the hammer that is designed for large-frame revolvers. It works fine with the SIG and since there is no safety to futz with the SIG is fast and slick, it's just zip and pull. You don't even have to pull it out all the way, just far enough to cycle and shoot through the purse if you need to.

The first rule of the fight is "Have a gun." If I don't use my purse on these occasions, the SIG stays in the car's glovebox, not too handy if I need it-and breaking that rule.

Miao, Cat

Two-Gun Mary
01-11-2007, 07:39
Even though a lot of people belittle the .380, Mrs. TGM is fond of her Keltec P3AT because she can carry it virtually anywhere conveniently.

It has a Clipdraw attached, so can be tucked into the waistband, dropped into a pocket, etc. Also small enough to easily carry concealed in the palm while walking thru a parking lot or wherever.

Only 7 rounds of .380, perhaps, but it can ALWAYS be there.

Mrs.Cicero
01-15-2007, 12:28
I usually carry an HK USP Compact in a Coronado Hobo. I've never had any problem using the holster it came with. I don't think any other holster I own would actually work, since none of them are velcro, and the grip wouldn't stay in position as well without the velcro.

Mrs.C

austinglock
01-25-2007, 10:16
I use a combination of purse carry, SOB, and IWB - various brands & models of holsters. The biggest problem I have found is finding a good gun belt that will work with a woman's smaller belt loops.

dst10spr97
01-25-2007, 13:57
Have you had luck finding a belt? I never wear belts even with my jeans. I don't really own one believe it or not but I need to get one.

austinglock
01-25-2007, 14:31
Originally posted by dst10spr97
Have you had luck finding a belt? I never wear belts even with my jeans. I don't really own one believe it or not but I need to get one.

If you go to a police supply store, and get a "dress belt" they SOMETIMES fit the smaller belt loops. But no, other than that I haven't found anything that works.

Jane
02-07-2007, 10:22
I've bought some belts at Wal-Mart that I use with jeans for shooting IDPA and USPSA as well as for regular wear. The one's I'm using now are white with some cutout patterns. For $8 or $9, hard to beat....

PATRICE
10-04-2009, 21:38

bluedecor
10-05-2009, 20:07
Even though a lot of people belittle the .380, Mrs. TGM is fond of her Keltec P3AT because she can carry it virtually anywhere conveniently.

It has a Clipdraw attached, so can be tucked into the waistband, dropped into a pocket, etc. Also small enough to easily carry concealed in the palm while walking thru a parking lot or wherever.

Only 7 rounds of .380, perhaps, but it can ALWAYS be there.

I love my XD-9 subcompact, but I got a Ruger LCP .380 for CCW because it can be with me all the time, and the XD will really only work in the cc bag. I am still trying to figure out how best to carry. I am extremely short waisted, (because I am extremely short 5' 1/2'') and clearing the chest area as I draw a loaded firearm is going to be tricky. I am considering crossdraw. Any small women care to advise? Thanks :wavey:

G26packer
10-07-2009, 12:43
I too am 24 and carry IWB and sometimes in my maxpedition bag. I have had to change a few things, but I still feel like I can wear anything I want. You might consider an IWB holster that sits at the small of the back (providing she can draw comfortably from there).
Honestly, carrying is a very mature decision to make and at first I was worried about clothing changes and such, but it is something that you have to get over. Chances are, if you are so hung up on the fact that you would rather wear what you want than have access to something that could save your life, you probably would miss the signs of a threat anyway....
Just sayin........:whistling: