-Very- disappointed in Clark Bros. today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : -Very- disappointed in Clark Bros. today

st3
01-07-2007, 18:13
Heya, folks. First-time poster, long-time lurker, so go easy. :)

Anyways, I stopped into Clark Bros. in Opal today. I've never purchased a gun there, but I've shot at their range a few times and have picked up SD ammo on occasion.

FWIW, I overheard a phone conversation today while mingling near the counter which pretty much discouraged me from doing business with these folks in the future. Apparently, a guy had called asking about having transfers done for three Sigs. The guy on the phone passed the info to someone else, who told him that since they're a Sig dealer, they won't do the transfer. Now, apparently these were some "special" Sigs (custom engraving, if I heard right), so they told the guy that they'd do the transfers..

For a mere $60 per gun.

Something about that just doesn't sit well with me. I'm not too keen on the specifics on an out-of-state transfer, but I'm fairly certain it's not a mountain of paperwork.

Anyways, having worked in retail many years ago, seeing folks give bad customer service tends to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Damn me for eavesdropping. Looks like my future firearms purchases will require a bit more driving.

-S.

Catbird
01-07-2007, 18:41
I know how you feel. IIRC, Clark Brothers won't receive any gun for customers that they normaly stock. I contacted them several months ago about receiving a gun for me and was shocked by their exorbitant fee. I suppose they have every right to charge whatever they want, but I'll take my business elsewhere.

Fungunner
01-08-2007, 02:42
Contact Virginia Arms in Manassas. They'll handle a transfer, no fuss, no muss.

gunman_23
01-08-2007, 03:04
St3, Im from Culpeper.
Neat!

Anyway, Clark Bros is a bunch of A holes that realize they have the market somewhat cornered for where they are. So that is why you have HIGH prices, rediculous fees, and crap customer service.

+1 on Manassass Arms

Also, try Quantico Arms in Woodbridge.
A bit more of a hike, but the staff's service, and store selection is worth it!

:thumbsup:

vafish
01-08-2007, 07:39
I've found a few decent buys on used guns at Clark Bros.

Other than that I don't shop there.

myglockisa23
01-08-2007, 18:15
$60 is a ripoff... when Quantico Arms in Woodbridge does it for $22.... I stopped in at at Clark Bros...to buy some ammo until I saw the price....

Hunterjbb
01-08-2007, 18:20
Funny, i was at Greentop the other day and heard the one salesman tell a customer on the phone, transfers are $50.00. Not entirely sure in what context that was in.. and it's the greatest of pitfalls of overhearing a conversation.

Sure do seem expensive to me though :)

Jeff.

myglockisa23
01-08-2007, 18:49
$50 is a rip off too... last time I got ripped off was at Shooter's Paradise for $47.00... I switched to Quantico Arms....

spenceinva
01-11-2007, 20:37
Not to defend any of the shops but anyone should know to find an FFL that either has no overhead to pay for (shop,staff,merchandise,etc.) or one that you've done enough business with that they don't charge you what they charge a once in a while buyer.

Spence

sfend002
01-14-2007, 07:21
Clark Bros are a bunch of morons. Go to VA Arms and be done with it. I have transferred there for $25. No questions asked.

pjva04
01-15-2007, 02:59
I haven't been impressed with Clark Brothers, either. They tend to charge a bit too much, and can have attitudes when you are browsing. I think they may be more geared towards the hunter than the CCW holder/Handgunner. The range definitely seems to be that way, I had the RSO get on my case about not locking my slide to the rear on my P3AT. He got PO'd when I explained that this particular model does not have a slide stop, which is why I wedged a spent shell to attempt to show "safe". Also, I am not fond of waiting up to 20 minutes to change target for someone to site in their rifle while I am hand gunning. The Range in Stafford has been good to me and the guys there will offer assistance and suggestions without being intrusive or "the typical gun shop guy".

SocomCen
01-15-2007, 20:22
Originally posted by sfend002
Clark Bros are a bunch of morons. Go to VA Arms and be done with it. I have transferred there for $25. No questions asked.

Transfers at VA Arms Co are $20.00 (no tax and the $2.00 VA check is already in the $20.00)

sfend002
01-16-2007, 05:57
See, its even better than I thought! :banana:

Catbird
01-16-2007, 07:21
Anyone know definitely how much Shooter's Paradise in Woodbridge charges for transfers?

SocomCen
01-16-2007, 19:14
Originally posted by Catbird
Anyone know definitely how much Shooter's Paradise in Woodbridge charges for transfers?

I used to work there, and a co-workers girlfriend still does they charge $45.00

KONY
01-17-2007, 18:50
Originally posted by SocomCen
I used to work there, and a co-workers girlfriend still does they charge $45.00

How do they get away with charging that much when VA Arms charges $20 and Gilberts's only $15? :headscratch:

gunman_23
01-17-2007, 18:52
Originally posted by KONY
How do they get away with charging that much when VA Arms charges $20 and Gilberts's only $15? :headscratch:

Free market system of supply and demand.

KONY
01-17-2007, 19:10
Originally posted by gunman_23
Free market system of supply and demand.

Unless they don't own a car, I can't imagine someone able to get to Shooters couldn't also make the drive to VA Arms or Gilbert's.

Catbird
01-18-2007, 06:20
Is Dawson's still in business? Many years ago, they were in Annandale and then moved to Woodbridge off Rt.1. They were awful IMHO.

I usually use a dealer who works out of his home in Warrenton - he charges me $20 including the $2 state police check fee.

mouser
01-18-2007, 07:25
As of about a month ago, Dawson's was still there (probably still is, I just haven't driven by it, so can't confirm). I've stopped going in there, as their guns are really overpriced (IMHO).

KONY
01-18-2007, 16:07
Originally posted by Catbird

I usually use a dealer who works out of his home in Warrenton - he charges me $20 including the $2 state police check fee.

Tom Drinkwater? Never bought from him but have had a chance to chat with him. Very nice gentleman.

gunman_23
01-18-2007, 16:57
Originally posted by KONY
Unless they don't own a car, I can't imagine someone able to get to Shooters couldn't also make the drive to VA Arms or Gilbert's.

True. And I see your point.

Possibly it comes from:

1. Ignorance of other gun stores and/or locations of gun stores.

2. Store location. Not everyone is willing to spend the time in driving and dealing with traffic to save the $20.

3. Store loyalty. A lot of future business is both grown and killed by the staff of a gun store.
(I wont go to Gilberts because of the "good ol boy" atmosphere...not to mention the price mark up. In addition I prefer to use Quantico Arms in "Hoodbridge" and The Trophy Room in Old Town because of the customer service)

4. Being plain old lazy. A combination of points 1&2 and personal laziness of people.

KONY
01-18-2007, 17:07
Originally posted by gunman_23
True. And I see your point.

Possibly it comes from:

1. Ignorance of other gun stores and/or locations of gun stores.

2. Store location. Not everyone is willing to spend the time in driving and dealing with traffic to save the $20.

3. Store loyalty. A lot of future business is both grown and killed by the staff of a gun store.
(I wont go to Gilberts because of the "good ol boy" atmosphere...not to mention the price mark up. In addition I prefer to use Quantico Arms in "Hoodbridge" and The Trophy Room in Old Town because of the customer service)

4. Being plain old lazy. A combination of points 1&2 and personal laziness of people.

All good points. I guess I tend to be cheaper "than the average bear". :animlol:

mallcop
02-09-2007, 15:49
I use to shop there several years ago when traveling through and enjoyed the experience, but not anymore!