Dodge Ram 4x4 not shifting... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Ram 4x4 not shifting...

StockGlock23
01-09-2007, 00:14
I have a 96 Dodge Ram 1500 that I can't get to shift into 4 wheel high. I went out this last weekend to go retrieve my treestands fomr the woods I hunt. As I was driving down the lane to the woods it got really muddy so rather than spin the rear wheels I just decided to cop out and use the 4 wheel drive. When I pulled the lever down to the 4HI position the indicator light came on and I heard a clunk clunk sound. (Sorry for not being more technical) I don't think the transfer case is engaging fully. I had friend look at the wheels as I rolled along at idle speed and he said the "clunk" came when the wheel made 1 complete revolution. I looked in the Haynes manual and it said that the linkage could be loose or the fluid needs to be replaced/refilled. I have not used the 4x4 in over a year (maybe more) but I have never seen any drips or anything that could be leaking. Has anybody ever had this happen and what did you do to fix it. The replacing/refilling suggestion seems very easy so I am hoping that is what the problem is but the linkage part seems alot harder to do myself. Any help? Thanks in advance.

JAMES77257
01-11-2007, 19:34
Start by looking at the linkage, sometimes a rock, or dried mud gets caught in there.

deutscheglocker
01-11-2007, 19:54
2001 Ram all black sport package, off road package.

4whl hi would engage but clunk/clunk made it sound like metal binding. 5 star service stated all was good, everything in spec.

three trips same result. truck also would not shift out of first if you floored it to merge into highway traffic. it slammed back and forth from low to 2nd and only shifted when I eased off the gas. 5 star tech told me I had to relearn how to drive and it is normal to have vehicle "buck" until you back off gas pedal.

Best looking truck I ever owned. Nice solid panel cap, nice factory wheels.

Dodge service sucks big time. Truck mechanically was biggest POS I ever owned.

I will NEVER buy another Dodge product

DG

scowall
01-11-2007, 20:44
had a company trk, 98 2500 with ctd, had 185,000 miles on it and 3, yes 3 new mopar transmissions in one year, installed by our shop, that could have been part of the problem, but dodge has had horrible trannys for years. although i think they have gotten better past couple of years,,,,,,,,,scott

44Henry
01-16-2007, 22:19
His problem is in the transfer case or front axle.not the transmisssion.