ROTC Pilot Slot? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ROTC Pilot Slot?

warrdamneagle
01-09-2007, 11:35
I am a Junior at Auburn University and I was wondering if there was anyone out there who knows about pilot selection process. I know that Commanders Ranking is 50% followed by GPA, TBAS Score, and Major being a small part. So here is my stuff. GPA=2.47 (not good at all), TBAS (new BAT)=89, Major= Criminology, and my commander's ranking is unknown.. I am sure I am not top third. I do have my pilots license and alot of hours. All I have ever wanted is to fly and I am nervous about not getting to fly.

Additional Note: I know most of the Air Force doesn't really like pilots but please, lets keep the negative comments somewhere else. I would appreciate it!

MrMurphy
01-09-2007, 12:37
Considering your current grades, and major....

Hello, Security Forces. :)

(Current enlisted SF in USAFE)

You might make it, but odds are against you, especially now, they just whacked a bunch of officers out on forceshaping. If you don't have perfect grades, be related to multiple congressmen and senators and max the PT test,can speak more eloquently than Teddy Roosevelt and have math scores to impress Einstein....

Don't hold your breath. Try, but..... don't get all worked up if at first you don't succeed.

My squadron commander was a MSgt when he commissioned, did 3 years as a missileer (aka Cave Pilot) before switching back to SF where he wanted to be.

What you start out doing may not be what you end up doing.

pilot996
01-09-2007, 16:01
hmm, i dont know much abotu the ROTC except that i didnt go that route. i did just submit my application to OTS just a few weeks ago and ill find out in feb if they will take me as a pilot.

i graduated with a degree in aeronautical science with a 2.9 gpa. on the written test, AFOQT i think they called it, they broke my grades down into 5 catagories (pilot, nav, academic aptitude, and 2 others) and i scored between 13 and 30 points higher than the average pilot they select. i also have my commercial multiengine instrument complex ratings and after taking the bat i had a 98 but had to retake it because they switched to TBAS and i think i got a 92. anywho, i tell you all of this because i was told by 2 different recruiters and a few people that work in their offices that i have "a strong packet". from what i understand, me and another guy that went to the same school i did and has a similar flight background are the 2 leading canditates from my region so i guess my point is what i have apparently is competative. you lower GPA is a hinderance, but i was told by a AF national gaurd selection board officer that he will choose better test scores over a higher GPA.

your best shot is with the ROTC, but you only get 2 chances at the board so keep that in mind. you may want to wait and try to get your grades up a bit if there is time. anywho, hope i was at all helpful. good luck and let us know how it works out.