OSHP at it again!!!!!!!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OSHP at it again!!!!!!!!!

cellison1460
01-10-2007, 08:53
http://statepatrol.ohio.gov/media/2007/07-002.htm

Captain Rehab
01-10-2007, 09:49
......I must have missed the intended point to this thread.

Old Coastie
01-10-2007, 18:28
Just what is it that the Ohio Highway Patrol is at again? I fail to see the point of the post in general and your initial comment in particular. Are you saying that they are making too much of an effort to arrest or ticket lawbreakers? If you are worried about being stopped by the Patrol, don't break any laws.

Almost forgot, thanks for the link.

Good shooting.

ede
01-10-2007, 18:33
like my mother in law use to say "damn sneaky patrolman" she sure was funny sometimes.

sts47
01-10-2007, 21:12
Personally can't wait to become a Trooper for the OSHP

I'm glad they are at it again!

Dave Williams
01-10-2007, 21:17
GOOD JOB TROOPERS!

Dave Williams

degoodman
01-10-2007, 23:24
Generally speaking, good job patrol...however...

I'm sure that ALOT of this is taking some credit that also lies with the various city police agencies, county sheriffs etc that make up a VAST majority of the road officers in this state, and patrol a far greater percentage of the roads than the patrol.

Also, while I applaud the DUI arrests, I find it interesting that they lump together the "aggressive driving" citations with the DUI's. What exactly is an "aggressive driving" citation anyway? A clear text search turns up the words aggressive driving exactly 0 times in title 45, which is the motor vehicle code. So as far as I'm concerned, that's a nice way for the OSHP to either pad the stats, or cover up for the fact that DUI arrests are down compared to previous years, stealing their enforcement thunder as the cause for the drop in traffic fatalities, and maybe placing it in the hands of a responsible citizenry who is drinking and driving less.

I'm not throwing lumps at the road troopers. But the politically appointed administration of the OSHP and the clout they seemed to wield under the Taft administration (really just puppet style echoing of Guv Shaft) really loves to toot their horn of stuff like this. While fully sworn peace officers they are, real police they ain't. I'd say ramp them up as a real state police agency, but we have 88 elected county sheriffs that handle that duty quite well, and I like my police agencies and commanders to report to the people via a vote every now and again. Keeps the political grandstanding in check a little bit.

So for now we'll have to deal with the grandstanding of our poor little near-police agency, and seeing a press release for every traffic accident rate drop, whether they are part of the cause or not, re-labeled speeding offense they can drum up, the occasional stolen vehicle recovery, drug trafficking arrest, and god forbid, making an arrest of a criminal for whom a warrant has already been issued. Beats having to patrol rough neighborhoods, being burdened with domestic situations, investigating burgalries, robberies rapes and murders, etc, in addition to a majority of traffic accidents, DUI's and fatalities...why do we have the OSHP again?

APGlock27
01-11-2007, 09:53
Originally posted by degoodman
why do we have the OSHP again?

To catch the speeders and make my radar detector make loud noises.

scott mcdonald
01-11-2007, 22:51
did i miss something what is the point so they are doing what
they are paid to do don't screw up and no problems,:brickwall: :whistling: :bringiton:

gjwheels
01-12-2007, 12:06
My brother in law retired from the OHSP back in the 80s and said then it was getting too political.

I think the Colonel of the Patrol should be an elected position and then he would answer to the Citizens of Ohio rather than Governors like Governor Shaft.

R.TOKER
01-12-2007, 20:37
One of my very best friends is a K-9 unit for the OSHP. We often sit and "talk shop" since I work for the local S.O. He does not hide his feelings when it comes to the "politics" involved in this organization. I have a lot of respect for "most" Troops, their administration is another story. The funny thing is I wonder how many OSHP Capt. and Majors are at Gov. Strickland's inauguration ball this weekend trying to weasel their way up the ladder. If it gets windy this weekend in Ohio that's the large amount of sucking coming from Columbus.:hearts:

Ender
01-16-2007, 02:49
Originally posted by R.TOKER
The funny thing is I wonder how many OSHP Capt. and Majors are at Gov. Strickland's inauguration ball this weekend trying to weasel their way up the ladder.

i met the guy briefly with about 20 other people, and the pure political b/s was enough to make me...head for the food table. the politics and ass kissing was just AMAZING.

sts47
01-16-2007, 04:59
That pretty much summs up all political functions.

JellyBelly
01-22-2007, 21:08
When a major auto insurance company rates the entire state as a speed trap to be avoided, you know they're going too far with the tickets.

I have cruise control and a GPS. It's too bad that in Ohio I have to fear going 1 mph over the posted limit (less than the standard variance in most speedometers).

There is no good argument to defend their policy on speeders. Frankly I'd like to see other states refuse to recognize their tickets. Points in Ohio should stay in Ohio.

Ol' 12-toes
01-23-2007, 12:08
Originally posted by JellyBelly
I have cruise control and a GPS. It's too bad that in Ohio I have to fear going 1 mph over the posted limit (less than the standard variance in most speedometers). Are you sure you're not doing something else to attract their attention?

I normally drive about 5 over -

And never have got a speeding ticket -

I did get a warning once for 10 over.

APGlock27
01-23-2007, 12:17
You're most likely driving a high-profile vehicle or doing something to single yourself out (hogging the left lane, aggressive driving, tailgating) to get so much attention. I can't even count the number of times I've been hit with radar and/or laser going 10 over on the highway and not even been pulled over.

4eyes
01-24-2007, 07:04
I figure the OSHP as a group of tax collectors. If you want to contribute, speed up.

SlickGlock
01-24-2007, 18:18
Originally posted by 4eyes
I figure the OSHP as a group of tax collectors. If you want to contribute, speed up.
Also them beeing on retainer of insurance companies...

lethrnk
01-26-2007, 15:14
I would love to see the figures of how much money the state of Ohio brings in every year for seat belt tickets... And, let there be no doubt that is why tickets are written for seat belts...

Further more-

I find it hilarious that I am forced to wear a seat belt, which I would anyway because as far as I am concerned your nuts not to, but I can ride my Harley without a helmet! Which I never do because as far as I am concerned your nuts to do!

The long and the short of it is $$$$$.
:upeyes:

anyplainjoe
01-26-2007, 16:05
I thought the Patrol rec'd its reevenue thru gasoline tax.

anyplainjoe
01-26-2007, 16:06
Originally posted by SlickGlock
Also them beeing on retainer of insurance companies...

You got that one right!

R.TOKER
01-30-2007, 04:23
Their budget was taken off the gasoline tax a few years ago by Gov. Shaft. They ran their budget in the red last year, reports is it begins the year at nearly $400 Million.....And to think we have county Sheriff's Offices laying Patrol Deputies off at an alarming rate, wow!!! What is $400 Million divided by 88?????