Austin members: UT on-campus Rifle & Pistol Club needs coaches! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Austin members: UT on-campus Rifle & Pistol Club needs coaches!

MatthewVanitas
01-10-2007, 22:16
Greetings all,

If you're in the Austin area, and would like to devote as little as one evening a month to getting more college kids to shoot, this is your chance!

The UT Rifle & Pistol Club (UTRPC) runs the on-campus shooting range at UT Austin, 6:30PM-9:00PM, Mon-Thurs. We're about to open up for the new semester next week.

Before last semester, we got maybe 40 student visitors per semester. Due to a heavy recruiting push (largely involving THR members) we had over 500 unique visitors last semester (about 1.3% of the whole campus). We can easily beat that this semester, but we need more coaches! If we don't have enough personnel to keep an eye on the kids, we can't operate at full capacity.

Requirements:

-- Willing to come by and just try it out for one evening, no obligation
-- Help out the main RSO by coaching, issuing ammo, and just keeping an eye on things
-- Know absolute basics of gun safety and handling
-- A good ambassador for the shooting community: courteous, patient, and helpful

That's pretty much it.

If you're interested in dropping by and giving it a try, drop me a PM and we'll set you up with a time. The range is located at the UT Austin main campus, next to the Gregory Gym.

Here's a few pic threads to give you an idea of what we do:

www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=229403&highlight=UTRPC

www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=209047&highlight=austin+pics

Take care,

-Matthew

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=46718&d=1161491682

AggieMM
01-11-2007, 12:29
Can an Aggie participate/help? :)

I'm glad y'all are doing that, good luck.

Ryan

cwood
01-11-2007, 14:48
I sent you a PM earlier today but didn't have time to post here as well.

Aggie MM is a great guy and would be a real asset to your efforts.

Keep us posted.

Carl

MatthewVanitas
01-18-2007, 00:41
We're held back a bit by the ice storms, but I went in this evening and opened the range.

Since UT was closed, our regulars all assumed we were closed too, but I managed to wrangle a crowd by chatting up the kids leaving the gym.

Ended up getting 24 newbies to come by, most of whom had never shot before, and only one of whom was an actual "shooter". All had a great time, and several are coming back to sign up for membership.

As usual, really good mix. IIRC, 6/24 were female, and great cross-section of ethnicity. First-time visitors always express surprise that it's not just a bunch of white fratboys shooting, so this goes a ways towards helping change young people's perception of the skill.

-MV

cwood
01-18-2007, 16:57
Matthew, I expect to drop by next week.

Am I correct in assuming from the pictures that it is strictly/mostly .22 firearms in the program. Not a problem, .22's are great fun. Just curious.

Regards,
Carl

MatthewVanitas
01-18-2007, 23:33
Correct, we stick with rimfire and air so as to minimize backstop wear and noise pollution.

We're right next to the gym and the pool, so best to be good neighbors.

-MV

xHypex
01-29-2007, 00:28
I just happened to come across this thread and being a UT alum living in Pflugerville I'd be game for coming out to help at an event. I'm a fairly recent Mccombs business alum ('01 through '04) and I didn't even know that there were any organized shooting events on campus. :sad:

My wife, friends, and I would definitely have come out to shoot, but I always thought the range was limited to a select group of individuals.
-hype

jaybird840
02-02-2007, 09:12
I'm interested in helping as well. I'm an APD officer, and my wife teaches at UT. Remember, an investment in educating these students now will pay huge dividends in 15 years when they're legislators! As a graduate student at Harvard several years ago, I had the opportunity to dispel many of the myths surrounding guns and gun ownership. I had several friends there that had never seen a gun, or talked to anyone who owned a gun. Those folks now understand that we're not all trigger-happy simpletons. Please PM me, or email me at swann@austin.rr.com Thanks!

Jaybird