CHL turn-around in under 60 days. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CHL turn-around in under 60 days.


BruderGlock
01-11-2007, 13:35
I mailed my renewal packet on 11/14/06, and received my CHL on 1/10/07. That's 57 days, which aint bad - it took almost twice as long the last time.

huaco
01-15-2007, 21:23
That's good to hear and hopefully a trend but I think I'll stick with my plan to start the renewal process in April or early May for an early September expiration. I and probably others with renewals in our near future appreciate updates on processing times in Texas.

cwood
01-15-2007, 21:33
My renewal was due in late November. I, too, did it early and hand delivered the paperwork to the DPS in Austin and got it in the mail 63 days later.

Not bad.

ShipWreck
01-16-2007, 10:07
I gotta do that this summer. How far ahead can U deal with this? Mine ends in July.

I'm sick of the class. This will be my 4th time taking it...

cwood
01-16-2007, 15:08
That is how far in advance you can get the process going and submit your paperwork. It is a good idea to "git 'er done" early.

I gave myself plenty of time for this past November's renewal but four years ago I really let it go too late and after calling and arranging to go down in person to pick up the renewal, got it the day before my birthday. Too close for comfort. Never again.

S.O.Interceptor
01-17-2007, 20:14
My wife mailed hers 11/08/2006 and it still says "processing".

cwood
01-17-2007, 22:34
It says 'Application mailed' for a long time. Then it says 'processing' and will continue until the day they actually mail the CHL. Then it will say 'License Issued'.

Your wife is closer to the end than she is to the beginning. Congratulations to her.

S.O.Interceptor
01-22-2007, 22:17
Still processing. This is ridiculous. I figured that since it was a state agency, they probably didn't do any work from Nov. 20-26 or Dec. 22-Jan 2, but crap, this ain't rocket science.

cwood
01-23-2007, 12:16
I would try to email first. They are really good at getting back at them. It make take a day or two but they DO get back to you. Just have your wife provide Name, DOB, TXDL# and date the application was mailed.

I have found the CHL section folks to be very customer service oriented and professional...and nice too. They are VERY understaffed and this accounts for some of the delays.

On a previous renewal, I had waited way too late to get my paperwork to them and my expiration date was closing fast. I contacted them by email and explained my situation. They checked into the delay (laminator company) and kept me posted. I had a name from that and asked them to keep an eye out for mine. When it arrived, they made arrangements so that I could drive over and pick it up in person to save the mail time.

As a result of their cooperation and helpfulness, I was able to pick it up on my birthday and had no downtime with my CHL. I was impressed.

Good luck and congratulations on you wife getting one.

ScoPro
01-24-2007, 10:30
I cut my renewal too close and had to walk around naked for almost two weeks in December.

Hand delivered my stuff directly to the DPS on 10/26/06, and the license arrived in the mail 12/20/06 - 55 days.

Bitstream
01-24-2007, 14:46
From mailing paperwork to receiving my last renewal in the mail was 18 work days...

killjoy25
01-24-2007, 15:00
mine took 62 days.

S.O.Interceptor
01-27-2007, 09:33
No return phone call, and still "processing".

:sad:

Gumbo
01-27-2007, 21:29
Need enlightenment. I see what I perceive as a reference to an online ability to check status of application. Am I wrong? I must've missed something somewhere in the process because I don't remember seeing this anywhere in any info I had. Can some point me to the site if this is true? I checked the DPS CHL website after seeing this initially and didn't see anything. I deposited my application in their sweaty hands on 12/10 and haven't received anything by mail, etc as even "official acknowledgment" of receipt/processing. Thx in advance.

S.O.Interceptor
01-28-2007, 14:52
Originally posted by Gumbo
Need enlightenment. I see what I perceive as a reference to an online ability to check status of application. Am I wrong? I must've missed something somewhere in the process because I don't remember seeing this anywhere in any info I had. Can some point me to the site if this is true? I checked the DPS CHL website after seeing this initially and didn't see anything. I deposited my application in their sweaty hands on 12/10 and haven't received anything by mail, etc as even "official acknowledgment" of receipt/processing. Thx in advance.

It took my wife longer to get her PIN in the mail than it has for you, but it will eventually come. Maybe.

This:
https://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/NASApp/txdps/TxdpsChlNewAppManager
is the link for checking your status online. Click "continue" on the bottom of the screen. Unfortunately you have to have received your PIN to do it.

S.O.Interceptor
02-07-2007, 19:18
Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

:supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

codecowboy
02-25-2007, 01:53
27 days, 13 hours, 37 minutes and 7 seconds since I dropped my packet in the mail. Not so much as a PIN yet. I emailed them the other day and they said my application was not in the system yet and must be in preprocessing.

*sigh* :upeyes:

Jack Hays
03-12-2007, 04:19
My renewal took right around 45 days (I don't know the exact date that the website changed from "processing" to "license issued or certificate active", but it was sometime around late in the first week or early in the second week of February). I don't know what effect the holidays had on the time it took. Since I had waited a little too long to send in my packet, my old license did expire before the new one arrived. However, I had already applied for and received by mail a Pennsylvania permit from Centre County, so I was still technically legal to carry. (I had obtained the Pennsylvania permit to cover just this sort of situation. It only took 11 calendar days, from sending off the application, to receiving the issued Pennsylvania license.)

barnettbill
03-14-2007, 21:02
According to the Texas online website: "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"

I should be getting it in a few days. That will make just over 50 days.

codecowboy
03-14-2007, 21:09
Originally posted by barnettbill
According to the Texas online website: "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"

I should be getting it in a few days. That will make just over 50 days.

Really. I'm at 45 days right now. When did you get your PIN?

barnettbill
03-15-2007, 19:18
Originally posted by codecowboy
Really. I'm at 45 days right now. When did you get your PIN?
I sent for it last Thursday and I got it in the mail Monday.

codecowboy
03-15-2007, 19:46
Originally posted by barnettbill
I sent for it last Thursday and I got it in the mail Monday.

So you didn't receive it automatically? You had to request it?

AmnChode
03-16-2007, 18:05
Well, most of these look like renewals, so not keeping my hopes up on a 60 day turn around; however, they received my app on 22 Feb and I have my PIN as of today (letter was dated 14 Mar). So let's see how long first time apps take...hehehe :supergrin:

codecowboy
03-16-2007, 18:15
Originally posted by AmnChode
Well, most of these look like renewals, so not keeping my hopes up on a 60 day turn around; however, they received my app on 22 Feb and I have my PIN as of today (letter was dated 14 Mar). So let's see how long first time apps take...hehehe :supergrin:

I mailed my packet on January 28th. My pin arrived with a March 1st date stamp. March 29th is 60 days. I'm hoping it takes that long. My birthday is the 24th, so I'll get five full years out of it instead of four.

AmnChode
04-04-2007, 16:04
*Update*

Just got mine in today.

So that's Feb 22 - Apr 4...making 42 days (43, if you count that I mailed it the day prior) I must say, I'm rather shocked hearing previous stories of 100 day+ waiting times...

codecowboy
04-04-2007, 23:14
Originally posted by codecowboy
I mailed my packet on January 28th. My pin arrived with a March 1st date stamp. March 29th is 60 days. I'm hoping it takes that long. My birthday is the 24th, so I'll get five full years out of it instead of four.

Mine arrived two weeks ago today, two days before my birthday. So it arrived in 52 days. What amazed me was they went ahead and gave me the full five years anyway. My license expires on my birthday in 2012.

Congrats on getting your license!!! I have seriously enjoyed carrying my gun on me. Its very liberating.