Marine corps jobs? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Marine corps jobs?

kalashnikovluvr
01-12-2007, 12:25
I'm 17 and a junior in high school. It has been my dream of joining the marines since I was little, and next year I plan on signing up and then shipping off once I graduate. I'm and curious to the types of jobs I can get that involve weapons and shooting other then infantry. I really enjoy shooting and have a good knowledge of small arms. In a way I want to do infantry just for the honor of fighting, but other times i'm not sure. So I would like to know the other jobs that I could get that involve weapon and possibly getting trigger time everyday, or at least deal with weapons everyday. Thanks for the info.

Kingslayer
01-12-2007, 14:10
1833 - Amphibious Assualt Vehicle Crewman

You will be come infinately familiar with the M2 .50 cal, the Mrk19 Grenade Launcher, the M16-A2, and the M9 pistol.

You'll also get the chance to visit lots of foriegn countries and possibly shoot their weapons.

And in most cases you'll be closer to the front lines because you'll be taking the infantry there.

blubottlemax
01-12-2007, 16:42
6172 - CH-46E Crewchief

You'll have 3 .50 cals onboard, along with your personal M9 pistol and some M16's for good measure. If you were overseas right now you would be doing armed troop insertions and TONS of medevac. Everytime you spin up its for real, no sitting around wondering when the next muster is. As an added bonus, you get to get off the ship when everyone else is stuck on board. Perk of the job. :banana:

RM
01-12-2007, 17:02
Just about ever combat arms MOS these days will have you carrying a rifle or carbine into the fight.

Division units has been in the process of replacing all the A2s with A4s for the last several years, so just about everyone who goes overseas with Division gets an A4. The Marine Corps also bought around 25,000 M4s for leaders and some crew members.

pjva04
01-12-2007, 19:39
Originally posted by Kingslayer

You will be come infinately familiar with the M2 .50 cal, the Mrk19 Grenade Launcher, the M16-A2, and the M9 pistol.

You'll also get the chance to visit lots of foriegn countries and possibly shoot their weapons.

And in most cases you'll be closer to the front lines because you'll be taking the infantry there.

YAT-YAS

Former 2141 (and 9954 / 9956)

For the poster, you may want to look at being an armorer if your interests truly lie in small arms. Whatever MOS you choose you will be a Rifleman first, and should get a decent amount of trigger time. I remember Camp Lejeune even had a pretty decent pistol range you could rent and fire from on the weekend.

BTW, MP may be the way to go if they don't have the age restriction anymore...when I joined in '89 at the age of 17, there was a minimum age of 19 to go MP. You could also go Infantry, and try to get into Recon or Security Forces, both of which would offer you many opportunities to train with various weapons (definitely not for the weak of heart!) As I believe, Embassy Security Guards also get lots of weapons training, get to travel to interesting people, make good contacts for their civilian careers, and can come from any MOS.

The trick is to not try to go in and do the status quo, but rise up and face every challenge with a positive attitude, and when you meet the challenge, assist your brother Marines in getting there, too. Those are the guys that get the recognition and respect of their peers and commanders, and are more likely to get the opportunities I mentioned above.

Hang out with the guys who blow their paychecks at the Dirtwood or in Oceanslime, drinking beer and chasing skirts all the time and you get get distracted from your goals. It is ok to have fun, but keep your eye on the prize when you get in there.

Good Luck!

357glocker
01-13-2007, 19:16
If you are looking to gain skills for once you get out look at something in a field similar to what you want to do. You'll still have plenty of time with your rifle! If you just want to go in for the weapons then infantry would be my suggestion....Just to let you know as a heads up, there's a difference between firing a M2 .50cal or MK19 and humping the thing 20 miles and the cleaning routine;) I am all about weapons and they were fun don't get me wrong but there's a huge difference in having fun with weapons as you're used to and using the weapons Marine Corps style! In other words, I love my own AR-15 (it's even an A2 style) but I hated the one I was issued after about 2yrs.

Marine8541
01-13-2007, 19:16
I'm not trying to ruffle any ones feathers or to cause a problem but let some one who spent almost their entire carrer in the 03 field that not every MOS is a rifleman and if you want trigger time you should choose a combat related MOS. If you're not in a combat related MOS you'll be lucky to qual once a year and maybe do a FAM fire course. When I was in Iraq it wasn't uncommon for mechanics, food service, and many other support units to have fired less than 100 rounds predeployment. If you want some real serious trigger time do your time in the fleet then take a B billet MOS that intrests you and has trigger time because of the nature of the job. BTW you do realize that unless you're leading up to deplyment or a training cycle like a combined arms ex you probablly shoot more now than when your on a down cycle in the USMC.

pjva04
01-14-2007, 06:12
Originally posted by Marine8541
I'm not trying to ruffle any ones feathers or to cause a problem but let some one who spent almost their entire carrer in the 03 field that not every MOS is a rifleman and if you want trigger time you should choose a combat related MOS. If you're not in a combat related MOS you'll be lucky to qual once a year and maybe do a FAM fire course. When I was in Iraq it wasn't uncommon for mechanics, food service, and many other support units to have fired less than 100 rounds predeployment. If you want some real serious trigger time do your time in the fleet then take a B billet MOS that intrests you and has trigger time because of the nature of the job. BTW you do realize that unless you're leading up to deplyment or a training cycle like a combined arms ex you probablly shoot more now than when your on a down cycle in the USMC.

:agree:

kalashnikovluvr
01-16-2007, 19:31
I'm sorry for my ignoince of the marine corp lang. but what does MOS, b bullet MOS, FAM fire course, etc mean?

pjva04
01-16-2007, 19:52
Originally posted by kalashnikovluvr
I'm sorry for my ignoince of the marine corp lang. but what does MOS, b bullet MOS, FAM fire course, etc mean?

MOS = Military Occupational Specialty

B-Billet = Another job you do in addition to, or instead of your primary MOS.

FAM Fire = Familiarization Fire, firing weapons to gain familiarity with them, not necessarily for score.

Cango
01-18-2007, 04:42
Originally posted by Kingslayer

I was looking at joining the Marines, specifically at AAV crewman or Abrams crewman. Do you by chanve have any more details about life as an AAV crewman?

kalashnikovluvr
01-19-2007, 19:23
Originally posted by Cango
I was looking at joining the Marines, specifically at AAV crewman or Abrams crewman. Do you by chanve have any more details about life as an AAV crewman?

Yeah that job does look awfully fun. Ever sence I read about this in this thread I have been looking for information on it. Haven't found too much tho.

pjva04
01-20-2007, 05:19
Here is some information on AAV Crewman:

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marineenjobs/bl1833.htm

That is a basic rundown. You get to go to the field a lot and train. When you are in the rear, you are usually on the ramp doing preventive maintenance on the vehicles. You have 2 weapons in an Up Gun Weapons System (a turret that you shoot out of) the MK19 Grenade launcher and the M2 .50 Cal. We used to have to come up to A.P. Hill here in Virginia to do fire and maneuver, because of some rules on Camp Lejeune. The chance of deploying is high, and you have a good chance of going on a float. If you are mechanically sound, I would suggest at looking at the 2141 field. They are the guys who fix the AAV's, and get to do a lot of the same stuff but have more options as far as job skills when they get out. You work on diesel engines, hydraulic systems, electrical systems, etc...

There are a plethora of jobs in the Marine Corps that are fun and can train you for the future. Check the link above and look around at some of the other jobs.

Cango
01-20-2007, 18:36
Yknow the old joke of the guy who's car breaks down, and he takes it to a mechanic, and the mechanic asks, "Did you check the alternator?"
And the guy says, "Yeah, its full"

I'm about as mechanically inclined as that guy.

On the otherhand, I am reasonably intelligent, and a quick learner.

RM
01-21-2007, 11:57
If you are a tracker or tanker, or any other combat arms for that matter, you will be in Iraq on and off your entire time in for the foreseeable future.

kalashnikovluvr
01-22-2007, 13:50
Does anyone have any pics of the AAV the marines are using?

pjva04
01-22-2007, 14:16
Just go to Google and search one of the following "amtrac, aav, aavp7, aavc7, aavr7, assault amphibian vehicle, etc..." I just did it, and there were tons of photos in the images section.

pjva04
01-22-2007, 14:18
...btw, my avatar was the unit logo when I was in for 2d AA BN in Courthouse Bay (Camp Lejeune). IMHO the coolest unit logo I have seen...YAT-YAS!

jon_in_wv
01-23-2007, 19:43
I was a Military Policeman in the Marines for four years. I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. BUT one day I watched a special on Discovery about Marine Corps tanker school. DANG I was jealous!! I'd reinlist if I didn't have three kids. Personally I agree with what some of the others have said. Get into an LAV or tank crew. You will get to fire all of the smaller guns AND the BFG's. Sweet deal. Atleast if you see action, you will be inside armor too. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Humpin in the sand, or driving and blowin stuff up. Hmmmmmm.