How many Combat Arms here? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How many Combat Arms here?

Redhat
01-14-2007, 13:43
Enough with the Cop stuff, how many CATM are in the house?

meeko
01-14-2007, 14:43
I am intermitently assigned to my CATM section. I was suppose to attend CATM school back in 99 but when I resigned my AGR position for a federal LE job "politics" removed me from it. I was staying in the unit in a traditonal capacity but thats the way it goes. I went through the federal LE academy firearms instructors couse for my agency and bring a different way to my SFS squadron. Don't know if that counts for you or not

Instructor25
01-14-2007, 15:00
CATM apprentice school in the hizzzouse

Redhat
01-14-2007, 15:08
Is this it??? Don't CATM guys like guns anymore???

Instructor25
01-14-2007, 15:12
not with the forced retrains that I have seen come through lately!!!!!

They're not all that bad

meeko
01-14-2007, 15:14
Originally posted by Redhat
Is this it??? Don't CATM guys like guns anymore???

Sad to say but I think the number of gun guys are down. I remember 20 years ago CATM was "the field" to work in. Teach in the AM and shoot your weapon in the PM. There were alot of private trigger jobs done on the clock in those days!

Redhat
01-14-2007, 15:20
Well I'm an "old timer", so maybe we can get some of the "new breed" up to speed!!!

Instructor25
01-14-2007, 15:22
I know a few instructors who dont like guns but they're CATM:shakehead:

Instructor25
01-14-2007, 15:24
Well I'm an "old timer", so maybe we can get some of the "new breed" up to speed!!!

Thats what I have been trying to instill out here at the schoolhouse

Redhat
01-14-2007, 15:31
Sounds good,

Where you do your shooting?

Instructor25
01-14-2007, 15:43
usually at medina range before the students come out or I'll request a range for the weekend.

meeko
01-14-2007, 16:29
Originally posted by Instructor25
usually at medina range before the students come out or I'll request a range for the weekend.

Do you do the BMT students as well? My son in law just started BMT I believe WED (he left MON) depending on starttime etc. fourtunatly he listened to me and my daughter and is not going to be a cop!!

Instructor25
01-14-2007, 18:27
I used to do the BMT errrs But not anymore. Your son-in-law should have been issued a bluegun already. The bluegun is a blue functioning M-16 with every part except the hammer. We dont need any Full metal jacket episodes at Lackland. He should qualify on his 4th week though. Ah good job on the cop part. I just hope he's not open general, because he will then have no choice but to become a cop!!

meeko
01-14-2007, 19:07
Originally posted by Instructor25
I used to do the BMT errrs But not anymore. Your son-in-law should have been issued a bluegun already. The bluegun is a blue functioning M-16 with every part except the hammer. We dont need any Full metal jacket episodes at Lackland. He should qualify on his 4th week though. Ah good job on the cop part. I just hope he's not open general, because he will then have no choice but to become a cop!!

Actually I warned him on that too. He is going into avionics

MrMurphy
01-14-2007, 19:24
Avionics friend over my shoulder is now sobbing. :)

If he as a Green Fatigue guy (retired CATM) with glasses and a beard teaching him shooting... he's my old boss at my gunshop. He went back to CATM a week before I left for basic, and I ran into him during Warrior Week and then during Area 2 for SF tech school.

Instructor25
01-14-2007, 19:49
hey murf who's your old boss its not wes,russ bicknell cause I used to work with those guys????

MrMurphy
01-14-2007, 20:19
Name is Greg, drives a goldish colored Nissan Titan with a matching colored shell.

Can't remember last name (even when I worked with/under him he was just Greg). Fellowes? Sounds right.

meeko
01-14-2007, 20:23
He asked me which field didn't deploy as much. We (my daughter and me) tried to get him to go into space and missle maint. I remember them from my Malmstrom days they had a good gig and were in MT, ND or WY. They don't deploy overseas and I would like somewhere to stay with good hunting. The downside there isn't really a big demand for them on the civilian side unless you work for one of the contractors at Vandenberg AFB etc. So he did something decent in my mind. He wont be a knucle draging cop like me, one step above doing the Geico commercials.

DJ Niner
01-15-2007, 02:03
Retired CATM here, reporting for non-duty! ;) :supergrin:

Actually, it was SAMTU when I started (Small Arms Marksmanship Training Unit)

Redhat
01-15-2007, 13:15
Good to have ya! Retirees are especially welcome aboard!!!

MIght help regain some lost knowledge!

Instructor25
01-15-2007, 13:16
Oh mr Richards that is one hell of a knowledgeable guy, and a good guy as well, and yup he still drives the gold nissan

Redhat
01-15-2007, 13:18
Yep,

Used to run the '60 course. Taught me all I ever needed to know about keeing those pigs running!

MPA249
02-01-2007, 05:40
CATM Been in it for going on two years currently deployed as an L in OEF.

I love guns by the way. I have recently expired on Glock and HK as a certified Armorer. I feel your pain guys.

I am thinking of getting out though the idea of PCSing as a cop or going back to flight after Tech makes me want to eat a bullet. I got tired of the BS and wanted to become CATM and then found out odds are good I will go back to flight when I get my next stripe. NO THANKS. I got six months to decide though.

Any truth to the rumor of CATM becoming part of readiness??? God I hope so.

MPA249
02-01-2007, 05:54
Before coming over here as part of my RTC I was supposed to be a 50 cal gunner (getting trained there) well I showed up the other two guys (part of the class) did not. I was then told that I would not get trained on the 50 and was given a 60. Luckily I had friends that carried the 60 and the fact that I was an armorer back in the late 90's helped so I could keep it running. It was interesting.

Redhat
02-03-2007, 10:03
Welcome aboard MPA249! Hmmm wonder what that call sign means?

DJ Niner
02-04-2007, 00:46
Originally posted by MPA249
Any truth to the rumor of CATM becoming part of readiness??? God I hope so. CATM has been bounced back and forth many times over the years; we're the bastard children "the base" needs to have, but nobody wants to own (until they need more bodies for a deployment).

At my first duty station, we were attached to the Air Base Group, Headquarters Squadron. Then we were transferred to the cop squadron, although maintaining our completely separate AFSC and duties. Eventually, we were trained in armory duties to backfill during major exercises, but after that happened, EVERY exercise became "major."

At my next base, CATM was still under the ABG commander, but once again transitioned to the cops (first the SPS commander, then SPG when the cop squadrons gained Group status). The same mission creep occurred, until we had to begin canceling training classes due to manning issues. They backed-off a bit, but quality of training still suffered.

When I learned that CATM was to become an offshoot of the cop career field(s), I had an early retirement offer sitting on my desk in front of me (part of the infamous "Peace Dividend" draw-down of forces). I signed it. I'm glad I did; I know CATM folks who gained a lot of gray hair in the next few years, and I'm glad I avoided having to tell (or the stress of NOT telling) some of those folks what I thought of their new policies.

Redhat
02-04-2007, 13:03
DJ Niner,

I lived through the "merger" (SSgt at the time) and watched all my mentors take the early retirement, VSI or SSB and bail!

We were left to pick up the pieces.

Where were you stationed when that happened?

DJ Niner
02-05-2007, 01:59
Eielson AFB, AK. We had a good commander and command section personnel there, but even so, at lower levels they were salivating about getting their hands on CATM bodies to deploy and backfill at every drop of a hat, and they didn't mind letting us know about it. I left the place in good hands, but didn't stay in contact with the CATM folks; I'm not very good at that in any case, and my city/job/house hunt was ate up all my time for almost a year after leaving. By then, most of them had rotated out.

Sorry for bailing on good folks like you, but it was a major change that many lifetime CATM folks just weren't ready to embrace, seeing no silver lining in it at all. I suppose the Peace Dividend downsizing increased the load everywhere, but that, combined with the meshing of the career fields, drove many (most?) of us older SAMTU/CATM folks out, if we had any sort of a decent escape hatch.

USMC03Grunt
02-05-2007, 21:29
Yup, doing the CATM gig down here at Hurlburt Field these days. Actually, I love working for the 1st SOSFS catm bunch but when it comes that certain time of the month (yes, a UTA can be compared to PMS if ya ask me) I have to work for the 919th. Seems in order to get active duty man days, we have to sign a waiver saying that we will participate in our reserve goat-rope or else your request for man days are denied. No, we don't get our reserve pay in addition to our active duty pay and in many cases, a lot of folks are just SOL and are working the week for their active duty job, do their weekend then do another week of work on active duty without a break. Fortunatly, the folks down here on active duty do give us days off (on their dime BTW) when we have to work for our reserve unit (for them it's free work out of us so they got a sweet deal out of it) during the UTAs.

meeko
02-06-2007, 17:36
I hear you USMC03GRUNT. At my ANG base the SFS leadership is so stingy that when it comes to man days the will cut three orders. each for 5 days so they get maximum coverage for less $$$. They are counting beans everywhich way these days.

LVDragon40
02-26-2007, 19:45
I went through the school in 1974 when it was next to the 3706 BMTS and loved it. I got assigned to Edwards AFB in 1984. I had a slight problem and got retrained to Veh Ops/ Dispatch. Now I love guns more then I did when I was a CATM.:)

LVDragon40
02-27-2007, 23:49
oops I meant to say 1984, not 1974

Cool Thanks

DJ Niner
02-28-2007, 00:42
Everybody slips-up once in awhile.

Instead of making a new post, you can change the old one if you'd like. Just click the button in the lower-right corner of the post that is labeled "edit/delete", make the change(s), then click the "Save Changes" button near the bottom of the message window.

Skopsko130U
03-15-2007, 23:26
While at Ramstein AB from 87-91 I left my SP Flight and augmented CATM for a year and a half, does that count? I enjoyed working CATM, I'd wake up happy on the mornings that I was going in to work.

meeko
03-17-2007, 07:50
Originally posted by Skopsko130U
While at Ramstein AB from 87-91 I left my SP Flight and augmented CATM for a year and a half, does that count? I enjoyed working CATM, I'd wake up happy on the mornings that I was going in to work.

I hear you. I miss the way the military was back in the 80's and early 90's. your work schedule was fairly stable compared to today!!

Lowrider 49
03-17-2007, 22:38
I was a charter member of the 1st SOW at Hurlburt in 71...7 trips to SEA then I went to OSI in 73 and got pushed out in 78 to be a Fed....retired in 2000 and life is good!!

Skopsko130U
03-18-2007, 16:01
Originally posted by Lowrider 49
I was a charter member of the 1st SOW at Hurlburt in 71...7 trips to SEA then I went to OSI in 73 and got pushed out in 78 to be a Fed....retired in 2000 and life is good!!

Ahhh....... a fellow quiet professional. :) You'll be happy to know that the 16th SOW at Hurlburt became the 1st SOW last year! :supergrin:

Lowrider 49
03-18-2007, 21:33
Skopsko130U,

Thanks!!

That's good to know!! I helped put up the A-26 that was at the main gate at Fld 9. Is it still there?

Skopsko130U
03-19-2007, 14:10
Originally posted by Lowrider 49
Skopsko130U,

Thanks!!

That's good to know!! I helped put up the A-26 that was at the main gate at Fld 9. Is it still there?

Check out the front gate of Hurlburt Field (Aux Field 9) using Google Earth, I believe that the A-26 is near the helo and A-1 Sky Raider.

Lowrider 49
03-19-2007, 21:37
I'll do that....I love the sound and smell of the old round engines when they fired up burning off oil that leaked into the cylinders overnight. You just can't make JP-4 smell like that!!

We had A1's and T-28s on the ramp and they both smelled great! I was on the ramp when an A-37 flown by a VNAF student missed the runway and wiped out a bunch of planes and put a 2.75" rocket thru a Squadron Ops trailer wall and it stuck right over the head of our Ops Officer. I think he wet his pants, but he always said he spilled his coffee....only he knows for sure!

Redhat
03-20-2007, 20:45
I think I almost wet mine the first day on the BMT line. Kid comes off the barricade and points a loaded M16 right at my chest. I really got broke in that day!:supergrin: