Any Favorite "Old Wives Tales" that seem to work for You? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any Favorite "Old Wives Tales" that seem to work for You?

mossy500camo
01-15-2007, 23:33
So... Does anyone have any favorite 'old wives tales' or 'rituals' that seem to work really well for you? For example: Moon Phases, etc.

I heard a new one the other day. About the Weather. "I was told to fish a day or two before a low (cold front) comes through." "Because fish can sense the front and go on a feeding frenzy." During the front the fish are full and will not bite. "Then try again 48 hrs after the front passes fish are hungry again." Same for hunting.:shocked:

BrianDamage
01-15-2007, 23:42
hunt or fish when the barometer is falling

git_r_dun0405
01-16-2007, 11:30
Spitting on my bait works.

Sharker
01-16-2007, 12:56
For fishing, there really is alot of merit to fishing before the barometer drops... and there are also moon induced bites.

For Hunting, I have heard that if the cows are up and grazing, then the deer will be too.
I have heard in Maine (colder climates) that deer will eat spruce to act as a anti-freeze.... so if you knock one down they deer will be all over it.

Fishing wise... my game is based on the ocean and currents, moonphases, tides, and barometer. I am not as good a hunter as fisher, so I cannot say for sure that the deer things work.

mossy500camo
01-16-2007, 20:01
Originally posted by Sharker
For fishing, there really is alot of merit to fishing before the barometer drops... and there are also moon induced bites.

For Hunting, I have heard that if the cows are up and grazing, then the deer will be too.

I have heard the same about deer.:thumbsup:

Thanks! Keep up the great work!:)

suckersrus
01-16-2007, 20:25
Originally posted by BrianDamage
hunt or fish when the barometer is falling

When the smoke comes out of the chimney, then goes down -- go hunting. (barometer is falling)

When the cattle are active, the wild game will be as well.

When the moon is full the deer will feed all night and lay-up during the day.

noway
01-16-2007, 22:20
If the wind is blowing sharp and hard the animals will bay up and lay low till the day ends and the winds dies down.

Sharker
01-18-2007, 14:32
This isnt a wives tale, but a true addage....
If your hunting mountains, hunt high working low in the morning, and low working high in the evening (unless prevailing winds are at your back). The thermals do carry your scent uphill in the morning as the ground heats, and downhill in the pm as the ground begins to cool.

I used to believe in the Farmers almanac but the last few years it has been way off. BeeHives high in the tree= lots of snow fall.... etc etc

Farmers Almanacs used to be "truer" (is that a word) back when most had no idea what barometeric pressure was (most still dont, but the weather man mentions it every day so we all have heard of it)and thus relied on the way animals acted to reveal on coming fronts...

mossy500camo
01-18-2007, 23:26
hmmmmmm..... Cool!

3/325
01-19-2007, 01:22
All I can remember is "If you keep playing with that it will fall off." So far this has proven to be decidedly UNtrue.

Sharker
01-19-2007, 11:27
:laughabove:

mossy500camo
01-19-2007, 11:50
Originally posted by 3/325
All I can remember is "If you keep playing with that it will fall off." So far this has proven to be decidedly UNtrue.

:laughabove: :animlol: :rofl:

Dan in Alaska
01-19-2007, 11:58
Originally posted by 3/325

WOW is that a relief!!! :animlol:

3/325
01-19-2007, 14:38
I shall remain vigilant in my testing of this supposed "falling off" theory. I'll update you guys if there are any changes to "its" status...

WINGS
01-19-2007, 14:41
Many world class gamefish have been caught on a Full Moon.......

and BTW, I never went blind or grew hair on my palm and my hearing is still good. TYVM Sister Mary Regina
:banana: