Inserting multiple QUOTES in a reply to a post?.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Inserting multiple QUOTES in a reply to a post?....

OKdoc
01-16-2007, 07:49

....So, when posting a reply to a thread, how do yuo insert more than one quote into your post?

....I see in some folk's replies that they have a quote, some reply....another quote then another reply.

....Or they are able to break up someone's quote and insert replies in between

SAMPLE:

_______
Quoted by "glock": "hi"
_______

....by me: hi

_____
( more by "glock")
_____

more by me.......

(end SAMPLE)

.....hope my question was clear....THANKS!!!!!!

:)

DJ Niner
01-17-2007, 01:01
When you quote someone, Glock Talk's software automatically inserts the quote control characters at the beginning and end of the quoted passage. You don't have to use it as it comes out of the software; you can insert the same characters manually to break-up the quote into separate chunks.

Begin by quoting the entire post, then use your cursor and the Enter key to add a few empty lines at the point(s) you would like to add comments. You'll see at the beginning of the quote, the word "QUOTE" in between two square brackets; that's the start of the quoted passage. The end of the quoted passage is delimited by the same word with a forward slash in front of it, also contained within square brackets.

To break the quote into chunks, go to one of your empty line areas, and add a slashQUOTE in brackets above the empty lines (I'm spelling these out instead of using the actual characters and brackets, so the software doesn't clutter-up this post with quotes), and a new QUOTE in brackets below the empty lines, then add any text you want between the two new control characters.

To get it to look "right", you'll also have to turn the boldface text used in the quotes off and on again. It uses the same syntax as the "QUOTE" function, but with a capital letter "B" instead of the word QUOTE.

If you want to practice, you can quote this post and try the different combinations. Just remember, for every "start" of a quote or boldfaced area, there also has to be a "stop", or you'll end up with a lonely control character buried somewhere in your text, and the effect won't work as you want it to. You can also delete any extra text in a long post, so it doesn't clutter-up the point you want to make; just make sure you don't delete any control characters at the begininng or end when you drop the text.

DJ Niner
01-17-2007, 01:59
Originally posted by DJ Niner
When you quote someone, Glock Talk's software automatically inserts the quote control characters at the beginning and end of the quoted passage. You don't have to use it as it comes out of the software; you can insert the same characters manually to break-up the quote into separate chunks.
So right above this line, I added a slashQUOTE in brackets, and a slashB in another set of brackets (no spaces anywhere between the brackets). Then below this line, I added another QUOTE in brackets and B in brackets to turn the quote and boldface functions back on for the next paragraph.

Begin by quoting the entire post, then use your cursor and the Enter key to add a few empty lines at the point(s) you would like to add comments. You'll see at the beginning of the quote, the word "QUOTE" in between two square brackets; that's the start of the quoted passage. The end of the quoted passage is delimited by the same word with a forward slash in front of it, also contained within square brackets.
This is what happens if you forget to turn off the boldface text.

To break the quote into chunks, go to one of your empty line areas, and add a slashQUOTE in brackets above the empty lines (I'm spelling these out instead of using the actual characters and brackets, so the software doesn't clutter-up this post with quotes), and a new QUOTE in brackets below the empty lines, then add any text you want between the two new control characters.

To get it to look "right", you'll also have to turn the boldface text used in the quotes off and on again. It uses the same syntax as the "QUOTE" function, but with a capital letter "B" instead of the word QUOTE.

I dropped part of the quoted passage above, and to signify that, I used three periods to show that there was more in the original entry, but I cut it short in my quoted response (some people use the word "SNIP" to do the same thing). Not absolutely necessary, but I think most readers appreciate it.

DJ Niner
01-18-2007, 00:57
I don't know of a way to do multiple user quotes in an automated manner; you'd probably have to manually insert subsequent quotes as you described.

Personally, I'm usually lazy enough to just quote each individual in a separate post.
Err, I mean, I'd rather give each user a personalized response... ;) :supergrin:

DJ Niner
01-20-2007, 22:59
I did find a semi-automated way to do multiple quotes from different users yesterday, if you're interested.

Open a blank text document so you can paste stuff in it as you go. Go to the first post you want to quote, hit the quote button, highlight and copy everything in the message block, then use the back button on your browser to back out of the response page without typing or saving anything. Click over to the blank text file and paste the quoted passage into the file. Then go to each post you want to quote and do the same thing. Once you have all the quotes collected in your text file, highlight and copy all of them at once, open a normal reply-to-post box, and paste them all in, adding comments between them as needed.

Not rocket science, not too difficult, and it should work well unless the passages are really long (then you may run up against a maximum-post-length problem).