Best place to buy an AR 15 in SC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy an AR 15 in SC

Sgt. Schultz
01-16-2007, 07:55
I'm looking to buy a Bushmaster M4 A3, Who has the best prices locally in South Carolina?

beavis1957
01-16-2007, 11:55
Originally posted by Sgt. Schultz
I'm looking to buy a Bushmaster M4 A3, Who has the best prices locally in South Carolina?

Good question. I'd like to see if anyone has a good answer.

Sportsman's Warehouse and Shooter's Choice aren't the absolute worst I've ever seen, but maybe there's a better option.

I don't know what Lawman's carries. They seem to have good handgun deals from time to time.

Sgt. Schultz
01-16-2007, 13:19
Shooter's Choice prices are at least $50 more then Sportsman's Warehouse

Glockphobia
01-21-2007, 06:23
if you dont mind transfers, and find something online for cheaper, the Ballentine sports/hardware house does transfers for 20 bucks

beavis1957
01-21-2007, 14:42
Where is this Ballentine Sports located?

I've been thinking about buying a few AR lowers and didn't know who to get to do the transfer.

Sgt. Schultz
01-21-2007, 15:04
Originally posted by beavis1957
I've been thinking about buying a few AR lowers and didn't know who to get to do the transfer. There are several in the W. Cola, Lexington area ... http://www.gunbroker.com/User/FFLByProximity.asp

The Pontificator
01-21-2007, 16:53
Rooks' Sales in Bishopville might be another place to look. I've done quite a bit of business with them. Given you'd be driving a piece it's best to call ahead because sometime they close for one reason or another and they're not open on Wed.

I don't think Lawmens sells any AR type rifles outside of those acquired for agency purchase.

Glockphobia
01-24-2007, 04:29
Originally posted by beavis1957
Where is this Ballentine Sports located?

I've been thinking about buying a few AR lowers and didn't know who to get to do the transfer.
almost right in front of foodlion, to the left, there's a video rental place in "front" and if you drive down the right side and to the back is ballentine sports warehouse.

eta:Peter Ullsperger
Lake Murray Hardware & Outdoors
1323 Dutch Fork Rd.
Irmo, SC 29063
email: Click here to email me
phone: 803-732-5607

Hours: 8:00 am - 6:00pm Mon-Sat
Transfer fee: $25.00

Glockphobia
01-24-2007, 04:36
Originally posted by Sgt. Schultz
There are several in the W. Cola, Lexington area ... http://www.gunbroker.com/User/FFLByProximity.asp
Sgt. Schultz is right. there are a few that are closer to you AND are 20.00 fees, unlike my source, has gone up to 25.00:)

CarlosC
01-24-2007, 07:07
$20 or $25, not much of a difference, if you ask me. It's still cheap compared to paying full price. I use a guy out in Gaston. You find the price, you pay for the gun and shipping, and when it arrives, you pay him his transfer fee. If you place the order so the gun is SOLD TO YOU and SHIPPED TO HIM, he does not have to charge you tax either because it would be an out of state purchase to you.

Southern Ohio Gun has pretty good prices. Their Bushy M-4s are either $759 or $829, depending on whether you want a removable carry handle or not. If you go for the simple version, you can possibly walk away with one for under 8 bills.

I've been to Rooks before and done business with them. They are very nice and reliable. In fact, I bought the last stripped lower (a RRA) that I used to build my current M-4 from them.

Rob1035
01-27-2007, 13:50
No one has mentioned it yet, but I urge you to at least consider building your own. A stripped lower receiver is only $100-150 depending on manufacturer, and there are a few good companies who offer the rest of the parts for a very reasonable price. The build is very simple, and you save a ton of money!

I build my 20" A2 with a stag lower and del-ton A2 kit for $660 total. I couldn't touch that price in any store.

Just a thought.

CarlosC
01-29-2007, 13:18
Good point. Both of my ARs are my own builds and, to tell you the truth, I would not want it any other way. Not only do I get exactly what I want, but there's the satisfaction of actually having built the rifle myself.

Bushmaster lowers are going for insane prices. I bought one of their lowers years ago, when they were not very well known, for $100. Today, they go for about $175 and I think they're just capitalizing on their name.

My next build will be using a Stag lower. They look good and I have heard good things about them. I met a guy at the Jamil temple from Upstate Armory who told me he could get me a Stag lower for under $100. It was either Jason or Robert. We'll see if he comes through.

aplombardo
01-29-2007, 21:09
I also use Peter at Lake Murray hardware in Ballentine. Since I live out this way it is quite convenient. The service is friendly and he LIKES to do transfers. He is mainly a hardware store but has a good relationship with several wholesalers and can order you anything for 10% over cost.

As long as you know what you want, this is the only way to fly..

skwerl
02-02-2007, 19:41
Bear Creek Firearms in Prosperity has the cheapest prices I've ever seen. He claims to have everyone beat by at least a hundred bucks and I believe hime. It's Olympic Arms stuff, and he ranges from 585 to 720 (if I remember correctly, it's been over a month) in the different models.

Lynn Waller
9388 Macedonia Church road
803-364-1781

I found his place while just out touring the countryside with my daughter. Seems like a real good guy, and his ammo prices are reasonable too. I'll probably swing by there tomorrow going to the Greenville gun show.
How does the greenville show compare the Jamil temple one? Is it worth going to?

Glockphobia
02-04-2007, 05:52
+1 on Lynn @ BearCreek. i got my g19/sights and syn stock forearm from him back in the summer.along with mags for theg19&22. very nice guy.i'll be buying from him again.:thumbsup:

ravenkeeper98
02-25-2007, 21:00
You can go the route I did. I got a stripped lower off Gunbroker. It is a Stag Arms, brand new, around $100.00. Then ordered a parts kit, most are around $500.00. You can get A2E3 configs all the way up to the M4 style. The price will go up if you add in chrome bolts and that. They are easy to put the parts in the lower. Most parts kits come with the upper fully assembled as well as headspace has been checked. It is just as accruate as any "name brand" AR out there. The finish is as good to boot. So if you're not too concered about the name that's on it, I would reccomend this way, I can give any help to the building of the lower. I know a bunch of links and have a hard copy of the Army/Air Force Tech Manual for the complete tear down and rebuild of all M-16 type rifles.