M1 Garands in AFP armory [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garands in AFP armory

chowchow
01-18-2007, 14:53
CMP here in the states is suppose to get M1s in poor condition from AFP armory. I wonder if we still have plenty of these around as issued to CAFGUs. ANyone here have any idea ? Or are they all worn out and rendered inoperable, relegated to ROTC use? How about carbines , can anyone buy one cheap back home? Ammo seem to be quite available by Armscor.

asian_glockster
01-18-2007, 18:15
CAFGU's are issued M14's. M1's are used as ceremonial rifles at ROTC Units. Around 10 years ago, my ROTC Unit's armory had M1's enough to equip the two battalions (of cadets). When my ROTC unit received those Garands, they were in excellent condition, some even were in mint condition.

If you are considering acquiring an M1 Carbine, just make sure that the barrel is still in good condition and the operating rod does not disengage from the bolt assembly once you pull it back.

chowchow
01-18-2007, 18:19
Hanep ang CAFGu , m14 na ang issue. Thats my favorite. Kapareho tapat ng FAL, ang ganda ng tama.

isuzu
01-18-2007, 19:14
Originally posted by chowchow
CMP here in the states is suppose to get M1s in poor condition from AFP armory. I wonder if we still have plenty of these around as issued to CAFGUs. ANyone here have any idea ? Or are they all worn out and rendered inoperable, relegated to ROTC use? How about carbines , can anyone buy one cheap back home? Ammo seem to be quite available by Armscor.

I think that there is a law that bans the re-importation of those weapons to the US.. That is why WWII-era Garands command a premium price over current production (Springfield) Garands.

Some CAFGUS are still issued Garands. Garands are generally okay except for the handling they receive from the CAFGUS and how they are stored. If I had one, I'll have it reblued and the stock refinished.

La Salle Bacolod used to have several match M1 Garands. They had different stocks which were properly fitted/bedded to the barrel and receiver. Some had sniper scopes.

Those Garands were very well-kept, considering the ROTC was handled by the Marines. Col. Gamboa (who was one of those who handled the Marine Sniper Program during its infancy) was also very supportive of the La Salle Marines. Those rifles were pulled out in the mid-80's when the Visayan Maritime Academy's armory was raided by the rebels and took their Garands.

chowchow
01-18-2007, 20:30
Ilan yata ang nawala during the NPA heist? Mahirap yata ang .3006 ammo hanapin sa atin. Oh well marami naman ngayong reloader ...

cebuboy
01-19-2007, 04:29
here in cebu, the airforce has a lot of garands in their armory. many are still in very good condition, they even have specimens in mint condition:) carbines are offered for sale from time to time, going price is 9-11k for m1 and 15k for m2.

isuzu
01-19-2007, 22:19
Originally posted by chowchow
Ilan yata ang nawala during the NPA heist? Mahirap yata ang .3006 ammo hanapin sa atin. Oh well marami naman ngayong reloader ...

Puno yata yung Ford Fiera ng Garands when the academy was raided.

The Army still has lots of 30-06 ammo. Majority are Lake City (LC). The Garand is such a nice rifle. The US Navy ordered M1s chambered in .308 caliber. It still uses the same enbloc clip as the 30-06. It would be nice to have one chambered in .308.

chowchow
01-19-2007, 23:48
Cebuboy, dami pala pang carbines dyan. Mura pa. ANg CMP have received like 32 000 units from S Korea yata and will start selling them. I bet they will be like $400-500.
AFP inventory sa garand and carbine marami sigurado , bayad nila sa atin as part of lease sa Subic at Clark. Marami ding post ww2 sa mga kamay ng USAFFE at private citizens.

revo
01-19-2007, 23:50
Those CMP M1s will be gone in about a week, my sources say.

blueeagle
01-21-2007, 01:58
floro int'l (philippines) converts garands to automatic using the M14 mags (20 rounders).;)

maskytrading
01-23-2007, 05:36
Originally posted by isuzu
[
La Salle Bacolod used to have several match M1 Garands. They had different stocks which were properly fitted/bedded to the barrel and receiver. Some had sniper scopes.

Those Garands were very well-kept, considering the ROTC was handled by the Marines. Col. Gamboa (who was one of those who handled the Marine Sniper Program during its infancy) was also very supportive of the La Salle Marines. Those rifles were pulled out in the mid-80's when the Visayan Maritime Academy's armory was raided by the rebels and took their Garands. [/B]

Sir Isuzu, your post above reveals that you studied in La Salle and that you are from Bacolod...I was in class of 75 College...What class were you? I haven't been home for several years...What about the 20MM AA PomPom, is it still there at DNST? The stand used to be parked beside the handball courts at the High School area during my time...BTW I'm also from class of 71 Kauturan.

isuzu
01-29-2007, 22:40
Originally posted by maskytrading
Sir Isuzu, your post above reveals that you studied in La Salle and that you are from Bacolod...I was in class of 75 College...What class were you? I haven't been home for several years...What about the 20MM AA PomPom, is it still there at DNST? The stand used to be parked beside the handball courts at the High School area during my time...BTW I'm also from class of 71 Kauturan.

Hi! I was class '82 at St. John's Institute, although I had a lot of friends from La Salle. Also graduated college from La Salle. La Salle is so huge now that the small community image is now gone (everybody used to know everybody). Traffic at La Salle Ave. is terrible. Sometimes reaches up to the Chinese Temple! You should visit Bacolod. Tom Bascon opened a Cafe at their house. Bacolod is so different now.

There used to be a 20MM AA, but I think it was also taken with the Garands when they were pulled out of La Salle.

http://www.usls.edu.ph/profiles/history.cfm

maskytrading
01-29-2007, 23:24
Originally posted by isuzu
Hi! I was class '82 at St. John's Institute, although I had a lot of friends from La Salle. Also graduated college from La Salle. La Salle is so huge now that the small community image is now gone (everybody used to know everybody). Traffic at La Salle Ave. is terrible. Sometimes reaches up to the Chinese Temple! You should visit Bacolod. Tom Bascon opened a Cafe at their house. Bacolod is so different now.

There used to be a 20MM AA, but I think it was also taken with the Garands when they were pulled out of La Salle.

http://www.usls.edu.ph/profiles/history.cfm

Kamusta ka, Kasimanua!(Literal Translation in English:How are you, Hometown friend!)It's nice to talk to somebody from back home. Once in a while during my time, DNST takes out the 20MM, then mounts it on the stand for cleaning and oiling...we used to ogle the piece, IIRC, somebody said that it was a WWII naval gun from the US Navy at Sangley...At least the 03 Springfields are still there. Anyways, am planning to go home end of February and spend a month or so in Mambucal where during my younger days we used to hunt manok-manok(brown pigeon)with my BSF .177 break open behind some of the cottages.