Cheap guns are good enough [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cheap guns are good enough

tagaykoyan
01-19-2007, 02:41
got this Massad Ayoob article from another 1911 forum:
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ayoob62.html

wala lang. a feel-good article for me, a lover of "affordable" guns...:supergrin:

darwin25
01-19-2007, 03:07
yah. I read most of that backwoodshome articles by Massad Ayoob. His logic precisely agrees with my principle for people who are thinking of buying their first gun. A cheap reliable gun that you can buy now is better than an expensive one that you will have to wait for funds to buy later. Earn money for the expensive ones when you already have a gun that you can use in time of need.

horge
01-21-2007, 17:07
Mas has written it elsewhere, but an added plus to inexpensive firearms
is that if you get into an SD shoot, and the authorities confiscate your weapon
as evidence, it won't hurt as much.

In fact, the odds of the evidence being "lost" go up if the item is an expensive
little piece of custom metal.

mikey177
01-21-2007, 21:17
Good article. Thanks for the link :)

nrmcolt
01-21-2007, 21:38
In fact, the odds of the evidence being "lost" go up if the item is an expensive little piece of metal
+1

:beer:

TTPower
01-21-2007, 23:46
good article! :) thanks for sharing... 1point for the good guys:thumbsup: it does make u feel good especially if u buy cheap local guns :)

mikey177
01-22-2007, 00:26
Whether local or imported, cheap or expensive, the important thing to remember is we have to check our equipment before relying on it in the real world.

anticentipede
01-22-2007, 22:47
The problem is the easy to use guns aren't cheap, as they're usually the imported kind. The cheap ones require more skill to use and more time and effort to maintain. And then there's the question of ammunition compatibility, the cheap guns are usually more choosy.

You could always go for a cheap revolver, fewer problems, easy to use, easy to maintain, use any kind of ammo, but you don't have enough bullets.

And then there's the cost of the gun license and the permit to carry, which would even be more expensive than a cheap gun.

Valor1
01-22-2007, 23:01
Kapg cheap, wala masyadong appreciation in price o collector's value. Para maganda, bili ka ng isang STI Edge pero pang-altar lang o pang yabangan occassions. Tapos bumili ka ng murang 1911 like an Armscorp o Norinco tapos yun ang gamitin mo sa bad guys. Kapag kinuhang evidence, sa kanila na iyung P 15,000 mo na baril. O kaya sabihin mo sa kanila, wait lang at itatago ko muna itong STI at papalitan ko ng Norinco.

Kidding aside, whatever gun you have, mag-practice ka na muna doon ng iyong marksmanship skills. Kalimutan muna iyang mga mods at darating ka din dyan. The most effective gun is the one that you currently have and practice with.

darwin25
01-22-2007, 23:06
Originally posted by anticentipede
You could always go for a cheap revolver, fewer problems, easy to use, easy to maintain, use any kind of ammo, but you don't have enough bullets.

I dont feel outgunned when Im packin' a revolver. :).

Thing is, how many of us survived enough defensive shoots to come to the conclusion that 5 or 6 rounds of ammo is not enough to win a gunfight? We're not gonna shoot an IPSC match anyway.

tagaykoyan
01-23-2007, 02:20
i think massad ayoob's point is cheap guns are good enough for home defense. and a revolver, imo, is good enough. itutok mo yung .357 magnum mo sa tumbong ng magnanakaw tignan ko kung di kumaripas ng takbo yun.:animlol: sometimes you don't even have to shoot a single bullet to prevent a crime from being committed in your home.

badshot9mm
01-27-2007, 01:02
are norinco tokarevs any good?
i am considring one for home use.
8 rounds in the mag is enough?
cheap for only 16,500 with papers...right?
or am i being scamed in the sale?

chowchow
01-27-2007, 12:33
badshot, simple yan na design but just as good. is yours a 9 mm? i have one the norinco 54-1 in 7.62 x 25 tokarev. the 9 mm is pretty good too.

bikethief
01-27-2007, 19:54
16,500? Medyo mataas. The original Tokarev is only 9,500 sa Twinpines plus processing.

badshot9mm
01-27-2007, 23:48
kasama na daw po sa 16,500 processing ng papers. 10,900 po yata unit price. wala na daw po ako secure na permits

tagaykoyan
01-28-2007, 06:09
Originally posted by badshot9mm
kasama na daw po sa 16,500 processing ng papers. 10,900 po yata unit price. wala na daw po ako secure na permits

chief, 9,500 petot lang sa twin pines ying tokarev 213. papers around 4k+ siguro abutin

badshot9mm
01-31-2007, 02:04
ok. thanks po.

antediluvianist
01-31-2007, 06:31
Don't you guys have problems finding the ammo for the NON-9mm. Tokarev? How much does it cost?

Sorry, just ignore. i'm not interested in the Tokarev - it's the Makarov I am interested in. Anybody have one?

chowchow
01-31-2007, 10:42
Get the mak in .380 cal.

badshot9mm
01-31-2007, 23:54
i just found out that the norinco 213 has a model that has 14 rounds. does anybody know how much this goes?
tnx.

Originally posted by tagaykoyan
chief, 9,500 petot lang sa twin pines ying tokarev 213. papers around 4k+ siguro abutin

darwin25
02-01-2007, 00:26
What happened to your Daewoo 9mm? Why not apply the gun for amnesty na lang muna then tsaka ka bumuli ng Tokarev or whatever you want later on. If you're in a tight budget, mas makakamura ka sa amnesty route since meron ka na. Mas malamang pa hindi naman talaga loose yang daewoo mo expired lang ang license. Renewal na lang yan at transfer ng license. Ni hindi mo na kelangan dalin sa FED ang piece mo. Processing lang ng transfer of license.

badshot9mm
02-03-2007, 02:04
sold it na sir.
Mainit sa bakal mga LEO dito e. Baka maamoy ay may kaso pa kasama...
will be using the proceeds to buy the tokarev. Have contaced sir dino and he's helping me make up my mind...ang bait talaga ni sir dino... may BOG discount pa ako...!!!!

royal glockster
02-03-2007, 08:18
cosmetics-wise, i dont like the tokarev. Reviews in various gun forums, however, put tokarev in positive side in terms of reliability. Tokarev is a good budget gun for your money..JMO.

toxic
02-03-2007, 10:08
Originally posted by mikey177
Whether local or imported, cheap or expensive, the important thing to remember is we have to check our equipment before relying on it in the real world.

to add..make sure we are familiar on how our gun works it doesnt matter if it is cheap or expensive as long as i can rely on it in time of need .

darwin25
02-04-2007, 20:23
Originally posted by badshot9mm
sold it na sir.
Mainit sa bakal mga LEO dito e. Baka maamoy ay may kaso pa kasama...
will be using the proceeds to buy the tokarev. Have contaced sir dino and he's helping me make up my mind...ang bait talaga ni sir dino... may BOG discount pa ako...!!!!

deenoh is a great guy. He doesn't really mind if you buy an expensive gun or a cheap gun from him. He will help you out no matter what. Just give him business every now and then. I do whenever I get the chance.

Im so satisfied with his service that Im willing to risk my neck recommending him to people I know.