Anyone heard about the missing Purdue student? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard about the missing Purdue student?

TLHelmer
01-19-2007, 06:21
I heard there was a young man missing from Purdue. It was a short blurb on the national news, but I haven't heard any details from the local news since I am so far from W. Lafayette.

R. Emmelman
01-19-2007, 09:00
From what I heard he went to a party and never made it back home. Someone withdrew $50 from an ATM with his card but the ATM camera was broken.

KSFreeman
01-19-2007, 11:02
Yes, but only what I see on TV-18 (it has lead every broadcast for the past few days) and on 920AM.

TLHelmer
01-19-2007, 12:22
Thanks for your responses. I saw another report, but there still isn't a lot of information.

foob
01-19-2007, 12:48
Pretty surprised since there's not much serious crime on campus. Think an asian girl went missing a year back though.

Can't imagine anybody wanting to kill him to get his wallet. Oh well I've worked at the crisis center before, there's weird ****s everywhere, just hidden below the surface.

boilergonzo
01-19-2007, 13:58
Apparently the student left a party at Phi Kappa Theta... and went to an ATM then vanished. From reports, he doesn't sound like someone who would choose to just take a wild adventure. I hope he is okay, but fear the worst.

KSFreeman
01-19-2007, 14:31
I had a 3:00 pm at the courthouse today and saw 2 helicopters "working" the river downtown (unusual for Lafayette).

boiler, I agree. Just doesn't fit the profile of someone who would just take off to Las Vegas for the heck of it. (He was an honor student and fairly serious athlete). I fear the worst.

TLHelmer
01-19-2007, 17:46
Eric,

You are kidding about the Phi Kappa Theta house right? I hadn't heard that. Was he a brother or pledge?

boilergonzo
01-19-2007, 21:42
Thought that might get your attention! Apparently he went there for a party (I have not read that he was associated with the house). After he left there, he may have been seen walking by Owen Hall, but the last confirmed place he can be placed with absolute certainty was 900 David Ross Road. Now they are saying the ATM withdrawal happened earlier (before 9PM). Orininally they had said 1AM, but that was just when the bank posted the transaction, not when the ATM was actually accessed.

Crazy, huh? I wonder what sort of investigations are going on at the ole fraternity house...

Take care!

TLHelmer
01-20-2007, 15:19
I found more stories on this on the Lafayette Journal courier website. He used his cell after leaving 900 David Ross road. It is very starnge for someone so responsible to be missing so long and no body to be found. I have had my share of these cases. None with so much publicity.

foob
01-20-2007, 15:44
It is very starnge for someone so responsible to be missing so long and no body to be found.

How do you know he's responsible?

Anyway, not to sound cold, there's only one explanation, he's dead.

TLHelmer
01-20-2007, 15:47
His parents were interviewed on Fox News last night. Everything I have heard indicates he was a very responsible young man. Straight A's, Full ride scholarship, past behavior and actions.

I am afraid you are correct on the outcome.

G7
01-25-2007, 00:58
Any new info ???

Thx.

KSFreeman
01-25-2007, 06:04
Purdue cops are going down to Bloomington today (January 25th) to look over his room.

Military recruiters were interviewed yesterday.

Ignition
01-25-2007, 22:24
Friend of mine was good friends with this guy

Crazy stuff

boilergonzo
03-19-2007, 14:35
Body found in Owen Hall (one of the last places he was seen). Not identified, not details revealed, but the body was found in a locked high voltage area that is not able to be opened by most Owen staff...

http://www.jconline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070319/NEWS0901/70319022

seamus
03-19-2007, 15:38
That had to be rather gruesome for the employee that found the body because it was an electrical room and they tend to be rather hot, and well paint your own picture.

Warp
03-19-2007, 15:55
Originally posted by boilergonzo
Body found in Owen Hall (one of the last places he was seen). Not identified, not details revealed, but the body was found in a locked high voltage area that is not able to be opened by most Owen staff...

http://www.jconline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070319/NEWS0901/70319022

Wow.

In Owen hall all along...?

I was 'riding along' with a detective knocking on doors around Purdue looking for info about what happened, as well as soem other activities. We/I wondered if he was possibly rather close at the time.

I wonder WTF happened.

TLHelmer
03-20-2007, 06:19
I saw the news on the found body. I figured he would be found dead, but there are still a lot of unanswered questions.

Thanks Eric!

k12lts
03-20-2007, 09:00
They now say he entered the electrical room by mistake and died from accidental electrocution.

The said all along the last transmission from his cell phone came from that area. How could they not have checked every room in the building???

The latest I have seen is here. http://www.purdueexponent.org/

KSFreeman
03-20-2007, 09:43
Amazing that no one would check the obvious!

The searchers were in my neighborhood miles from campus looking for him in my little neighborhood park but he never left Owen Hall. Terrible.

Patrick Graham
03-20-2007, 10:33
A high voltage room with an unmarked door accidently left unlocked.. :shocked:

FThorn
03-21-2007, 11:33
Originally posted by Patrick Graham
A high voltage room with an unmarked door accidently left unlocked.. :shocked:

Sounds like a big tort suit to me.

Texas357
03-21-2007, 12:09
Probably left unlocked by the person who put him there

KSFreeman
03-21-2007, 12:45
The rumor around the courthouse is that the autopsy confirmed accident.

Prosecuting Attorney will investigate but everyone who should know seems to hint clear cut accident.

Warp
03-21-2007, 14:51
Originally posted by KSFreeman

Prosecuting Attorney will investigate but everyone who should know seems to hint clear cut accident.

In your opinion...chances that Purdue shells out $$$ for this?

Warp
03-21-2007, 14:51
Originally posted by KSFreeman

In your opinion...chances that Purdue shells out $$$ for this?

IndyGunFreak
03-21-2007, 15:34
Originally posted by Texas357
Probably left unlocked by the person who put him there

I can't find the picture online, but in the paper today, they had a drawing of how the room is set up, and where his body was. What it looks like, he tried to slide behinds these units that were almost touching a wall(which the article describes as about the size of a water softener), and came into contact with one, electrocuting him and probably killing him instantly. Well, because this room is so dangerous, when they "searched", they simply opened the door and looked and from the looks of that diagram, I can see how it would have been very easy to not see him w/o a detailed inspection of the room.

Sad case..

IGF

Texas357
03-21-2007, 15:51
Any explanation as to why he would have tried to slide behind the machinery?

What kind of equipment was it? Was it properly grounded? Did he grab contacts, or was the case hot?

epsylum
03-21-2007, 15:53
My question is, why wasn't the room marked with a high voltage sign? Isn't that some sort of building code (you would think it would be)?

I read the article today too and it seems pretty open and shut now. He was looking for a way into the building to get his coat. Since he didn't live there he did not have a key. He found an open door (one that should have been locked) and went into a dark room. Then he accidentally touched a bolt on one of the trasformers that was carrying a charge killing him instantly.

They also said that at least one other person accidentally went into that room thinking it was a shortcut to the laundry room. They however decided to stay out. But that means it has been unlocked at least one other time, a good indicator that it probably has been left unlocked many times.

Sad since a simple sign probably could have avoided this. As it is he had no clue what was in there.

Warp
03-21-2007, 16:30
Story as I hear it is that he was trying to get his coat, which was in a friend's dorm in Owen because it had his ID in it, which you have to swipe at the doors to his dorm in order to get in at night. He called at least one person from his dorm but they were still/already at a party and unable to let him in. He tried calling the friend in Owen but got no answer...so he tried to find any way possible to get into Owen so he could get the ID. The door was unlocked, he made a poor decision about going around the equipment, and got fried.

Some say it wasn't labeled high voltage (at least externally) because it was supposed to be locked and because they actually thought kids would be more likely to screw around with it if it was thus labeled.

All third person heresay...but it's what I hear here in Lafayette.

epsylum
03-21-2007, 16:47
Originally posted by Warp
Story as I hear it is that he was trying to get his coat, which was in a friend's dorm in Owen because it had his ID in it, which you have to swipe at the doors to his dorm in order to get in at night. He called at least one person from his dorm but they were still/already at a party and unable to let him in. He tried calling the friend in Owen but got no answer...so he tried to find any way possible to get into Owen so he could get the ID. The door was unlocked, he made a poor decision about going around the equipment, and got fried.

Some say it wasn't labeled high voltage (at least externally) because it was supposed to be locked and because they actually thought kids would be more likely to screw around with it if it was thus labeled.

All third person heresay...but it's what I hear here in Lafayette.

Probably a better understanding than what I have here in Indy and having never been to the Purdue campus.

Patrick Graham
03-21-2007, 17:20
They had videos on the news this morning of the door.. It said nothing, no lables or anything...it just had some vents on it...

KSFreeman
03-22-2007, 06:00
Warp, I would think, even given an Indiana jury, that Purdue University faces major exposure (well above 6 figures).

R. Emmelman
03-22-2007, 08:07
Some areas of our facility are very hazardous. Not only do we lock them, we double lock them and alarm them. If something is so bad that they would not even go into the room without removing power you would think they would have better safeguards.

:soap:

FThorn
03-22-2007, 12:20
I used to sneak into those exact same dorm basements.

Most places were locked.

The draw (reason to go there) was to access the vast underground tunnels linking campus buildings. However, they too were locked usually.

But, keys 'get around'. Just say "501" back in my day and everyone knew you were referring to THE ONE MASTER KEY for ALL DORMS and ROOMS.

That's all I will say.

TLHelmer
03-22-2007, 13:03
I worked at Purdue for five years and the building services people were always leaving this and that "important" door unlocked. I chased a few people like FThorn through those tunnels a time or ten. It was an automatic trip to jail for tresspass. There are a lot of dangerous things in those tunnels.:wavey:

I just couldn't beleive that people wanted to go into those tunnels for kicks.

boilergonzo
03-22-2007, 14:00
Trev, sounds like an FTHorn confession... BOOK HIM!

It sounds like Purdue took precautions, but had an unfortunate lapse. I'm no lawyer, but it would seem the answer to if Purdue will pay hinges upon whether the parents wish to press the issue. Unless the locks sent off to forensics show some failure that Purdue would have been unaware of, it sounds like someone failed to lock a door that protocol said had to be left locked. Unless (and not impossible) the young man forced the lock, some degree of negligence could probably be inferred on Purdue's part.

Many dangerous places are left unlabeled. Some secrets are better left untold and locked down. Gun safes, corporate trade secrets versus patents, cash stashes, and rooms with critical equipment can all fall into a wide spectrum where the appropriate solution may vary from one extreme to the other (or anywhere in between).

TLHelmer
03-22-2007, 14:31
Re: FTHorn confession

No big deal. He can't be all bad. He is a GT member. ;) I just never got it. The tunnels are hot and steamy. No interest there for me.

Your right. Purdue is an easy mark for lawsuits anyway.

FThorn
03-22-2007, 19:45
Originally posted by TLHelmer
Re: FTHorn confession

No big deal. He can't be all bad. He is a GT member. ;) I just never got it. The tunnels are hot and steamy. No interest there for me.

Your right. Purdue is an easy mark for lawsuits anyway.

Hot and steamy tunnels are college boy's dream.

sidewayz6.6
03-22-2007, 19:50
I was there on Saturday for a robotics competition. One of the students was giving my friend a tour, and he tried to go into that room from the inside, but it was locked. Apparently it was labeled and locked on the inside, but not the outside. I can't imagine my friend walking in there and finding that dead Purdue student.

TLHelmer
03-22-2007, 19:58
I agree on some "hot and steamy tunnels", but the ones we are talking about. :shocked: