Chicago [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Chicago


Drilled
01-19-2007, 12:58
Hi folks;

I gotta go to Chicago this weekend for work and I need to know if I can carry a couple of 2oz. FOX Labs spray and a folder 3.25" Will feel naked without my gun but I see there are no handguns at all allowed in the Windy City...

Thanks for any input...And I will check back later

Active1
01-20-2007, 23:32
It looks like they banned pepper spray and mace at night clubs 8-23-03 due to the 21 people killed in the E2 night club in a stamped to get out the door when mace was used.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/s/station/index.html?query=E2&field=org&match=exact

oldsmith
01-22-2007, 18:01
What constitutes "dangerous knife?" What's the blade length max? Since I'm banned from carring my CCW gun here I'm going to get a good knife and learn how to use it. (only as last resort)

Jd10mm
01-23-2007, 08:04
I may be wrong... but i believe 3 inches is the max length of a blade you can carry.

Tecumseh
01-24-2007, 16:37
I was told that the maximum length was 3.5 inches.

Google up knife laws.

oldsmith
01-24-2007, 20:28
Illinois Criminal Code 720 ILCS 5/24-1. Unlawful Use of
Weapons. (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use
of weapons when he knowingly... (2) Carries or possesses
with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a
dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto,
broken bottle or other piece of glass... or any other
dangerous or deadly weapon of like character...
- 720 ILCS 5/33A-1... A person is considered armed with a
dangerous weapon... when he carries on or about his person
or is otherwise armed with a category I or category II
weapon. (b) A category I weapon is a [firearm or] a knife
with a blade at least 3 inches in length, dagger, dirk,
switchblade knife, stiletto, or any other deadly or
dangerous weapon of like character.

That sucks. I just bought a Benchmade with a 3.5" blade. I recall it was 4" in Ohio.

Drilled
01-25-2007, 15:34
Originally posted by oldsmith
Illinois Criminal Code 720 ILCS 5/24-1. Unlawful Use of
Weapons. (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use
of weapons when he knowingly... (2) Carries or possesses
with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a
dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto,
broken bottle or other piece of glass... or any other
dangerous or deadly weapon of like character...
- 720 ILCS 5/33A-1... A person is considered armed with a
dangerous weapon... when he carries on or about his person
or is otherwise armed with a category I or category II
weapon. (b) A category I weapon is a [firearm or] a knife
with a blade at least 3 inches in length, dagger, dirk,
switchblade knife, stiletto, or any other deadly or
dangerous weapon of like character.

That sucks. I just bought a Benchmade with a 3.5" blade. I recall it was 4" in Ohio.

Chicago has some amazing places to eat, Don't get why Daley's name is plastered all over everything there...Is he GOD of Chicago or just thinks he is? Decided against the knife and took 2-2oz cans of FOX Pepper spray instead...

Decided I would take my chances with the LEO's there if I had an encounter that may require me to use the spray, I have had to use it a few times while working in Detroit so I know it gets the job done...

A couple of observations and this is not meant as any kind of insult, but people there are very "me first" seems to be the home of individual license plates as well as look at what I drive...Not sure why they think they are so special?
They certainly don't exercise their right to defend themselves...There are roving and mobile groups of youths/thugs/gangsters/etc; that seem to be looking for an opportunity and there are a lot of sheeple to choose from...

Traffic was just horrible and the truckers are all cowboys (not that it is in Chicago alone)saw 4-5 truck/car accidents.
Talked to quite a few people while I was there and was amazed at how clueless they were in many respects about their rights...When I told them we had the right to carry guns in Michigan they just looked dumbfounded and asked "why would you want to do that?" Seems like they have more than their share of illegals too...

Glad to be back home now even though the economy here is taking a beating...Nice to know we still have some rights here...As I stated before I would never vote for a politician from that state!

oldsmith
01-25-2007, 18:29
Originally posted by Drilled
Chicago has some amazing places to eat, Don't get why Daley's name is plastered all over everything there...Is he GOD of Chicago or just thinks he is? Decided against the knife and took 2-2oz cans of FOX Pepper spray instead...

Decided I would take my chances with the LEO's there if I had an encounter that may require me to use the spray, I have had to use it a few times while working in Detroit so I know it gets the job done...

A couple of observations and this is not meant as any kind of insult, but people there are very "me first" seems to be the home of individual license plates as well as look at what I drive...Not sure why they think they are so special?
They certainly don't exercise their right to defend themselves...There are roving and mobile groups of youths/thugs/gangsters/etc; that seem to be looking for an opportunity and there are a lot of sheeple to choose from...

Traffic was just horrible and the truckers are all cowboys (not that it is in Chicago alone)saw 4-5 truck/car accidents.
Talked to quite a few people while I was there and was amazed at how clueless they were in many respects about their rights...When I told them we had the right to carry guns in Michigan they just looked dumbfounded and asked "why would you want to do that?" Seems like they have more than their share of illegals too...

Glad to be back home now even though the economy here is taking a beating...Nice to know we still have some rights here...As I stated before I would never vote for a politician from that state!

Glad you had a decent trip. I live in north Illinois near the border and it's not as bad as Chicago. I've found many like-minded people but I am toooo close to Chicago and not far enough away from any major city.

I'm tired of being coerced by laws enacted by those who have no stake in the system execept what they can get out of it. I love the ideals of the United States of America, but I love my country only as much as it gives me the freedom to live my life unmolested by others. Sadly, I feel my love waning and I'm afraid there is nothing we can do and no where else to go.

Drilled
01-25-2007, 19:37
Originally posted by oldsmith
Glad you had a decent trip. I live in north Illinois near the border and it's not as bad as Chicago. I've found many like-minded people but I am toooo close to Chicago and not far enough away from any major city.

I'm tired of being coerced by laws enacted by those who have no stake in the system execept what they can get out of it. I love the ideals of the United States of America, but I love my country only as much as it gives me the freedom to live my life unmolested by others. Sadly, I feel my love waning and I'm afraid there is nothing we can do and no where else to go.

Very well said! But we don't have to succumb to BS that segments of our society will impose on us!

I fought for this country and I will fight again to be sure that the "wrong people" do not get control. I may be older now but I have not forgotten how to fight!

I see some real idiocy in the thought process in Chicago as well as many of the other large cities(Detroit, where I live) in America...

This is my suggestion:
Really and I mean severely tough laws on criminals and absolutely no access to guns, they use a gun in a crime and they die, period!

I also see lots of gray hairs in the streets fighting for what once a great country regardless of race!
Just because you are getting older does not mean you have to hide in your home, like a lot of us have been doing...

I still ride a motorcycle, fly occasionally and stay very physically active as well as shoot a lot...

I had to use pepper spray and a 2x4 against some teenagers that tried to rob me a few month's ago in Detroit...They were all bad talking me as they tried to car-jack me and punk me, didn't happen...

They had knives and "guns" but but I did not see any "guns", they did have knives though...Pepper spray and wood took em out...I did have my gun but never thought that I needed to use it...Did not have to escalate to the next level, though I think if they had really had guns they would not have hesitated to use them on me...

I don't give a damn about what is PC in America anymore only what is right!

PBR Sailor
02-12-2007, 07:45
Originally posted by oldsmith
Illinois Criminal Code 720 ILCS 5/24-1. Unlawful Use of
Weapons. (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use
of weapons when he knowingly... (2) Carries or possesses
with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a
dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto,
broken bottle or other piece of glass... or any other
dangerous or deadly weapon of like character...
- 720 ILCS 5/33A-1... A person is considered armed with a
dangerous weapon... when he carries on or about his person
or is otherwise armed with a category I or category II
weapon. (b) A category I weapon is a [firearm or] a knife
with a blade at least 3 inches in length, dagger, dirk,
switchblade knife, stiletto, or any other deadly or
dangerous weapon of like character.

The 3" knife blade rule applies when you commit a felony. 720ILCS5/33A-1 covers the charge of Armed Violence when the penalty enhancement for carrying a dangerous weapon applies during the commision of a felony act.

If you use the knife to defend yourself, you have to inflict bodily harm upon your attacker to defend yourself and the State's Attorney charges for said defense, the Armed Violence statute applies. Just carrying a 3 1/2" folding knife in itself is not an unlawful act. Not everyone in law enforcement knows this, the same as not everyone in law enforcement has a grasp on the intricate details pertaining to firearms possession and transportation.

I don't know what local ordinance Chicago has prohibiting knife possession. I imagine it is very restrictive like their firearms laws. Chicago is a neat town with hundreds of great restaurants. Alot of people who live in Chicago are great people. Due to the way a number of legal issues are addressed by the city, I avoid Chicago unless I need to travel there for business.

:thumbsup: