How often do you go to the range alone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How often do you go to the range alone?

Mrs. Tink
01-19-2007, 17:31
Maybe the answer is obvious for some single ladies?

How many of you go alone, vs. with a SO/husband/group of friends?

Lynn D
01-19-2007, 19:00
Outside of the group I shoot with, I usually do go alone. Not to many folks to shoot with, other than one of the other ladies. Unfortunately, our schedules don't often match up, so.....

My range is one where you are your "own RO/SO"....no staff on site. So, when you go alone, that's exactly what you are. Sometimes it's great, and sometimes it's a little weird.....

Life being what it is, I haven't been able to go outside of my usual "weekly shoot" for some time. 'Course, I might just have to go out there this weekend.

:)

Mrs.Cicero
01-19-2007, 19:37
hmmm. i used to go alone at least once a week when we lived in VA, prior to having kids. now i manage to go to the range once a week, but i'm nearly always with my husband or a friend that i'm "teaching to shoot" (she's already more accurate than i am - it's more stress relief and fun for us now).

Mrs.C

MrsKitty
01-19-2007, 20:28
Alone? Always :)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/misskitty5077/GrandpasGrapes094.jpg

The land is slanted because it is actually starting up the side of a mountain.

Atlantya
01-21-2007, 09:56
I belong to two different outdoor ranges. The one range about 45 minutes to the north of me, no matter when I go by myself, I'm never "alone". Even if I'm the only one at the 50 yard range, there's always someone at the 100/200 yard range or the trap field, all within sight of the 50 yard range. Plus, it has a caretaker that lives on the grounds, so I have no problem going to that range by myself.

The other range is another story. It's about a half hour to the west of me, so it's closer and definitely more convenient to get to and much more beautiful and you can practice skills that you can't at the other range like holster draws and such. But it's also much more isolated, each of the seperate ranges are isolated from each other and when I go there alone, I am definitely by myself since there is rarely anyone else at any of the other fields. I've tried and tried to shake this feeling of "The Hills Have Eyes" creepy sort of feeling when I go there, but I just can't seem to. This last summer they built these big noise-containment shelters that make it difficult to see if someone is behind them. Couple that with having on hearing protection so I can't tell if someone is approaching from behind and I last about five shots before I have to take my hearing protection off, check the place out, then resume shooting. It's exhausting. So, I tend to use that range only during "non-shooting" hours to go hiking, unless I can wrangle people to go shooting with me.

AZ DBLTRBL
01-22-2007, 11:24
I hit the indoor range twice a week and 90% of the time I go alone - I never go to the outdoor range alone.

wrencher
01-23-2007, 17:45
Almost always go to the range, indoor or outdoor, alone. No shooting buddies.:sad:
There are always people at the indoor range, but I am frequently at the outdoor range by myself.

Cat91
01-24-2007, 18:43
Bout always go with hubby. He likes to play "coach" :hearts:

Miao, Cat

Lady27
01-25-2007, 07:47
Quite often alone. I am a wife and home school mom, which is a flexible schedule. If I have things done at home I can slip out to the range in the afternoon. My husband has to work regular hours and sometimes he works weekends at a second job. But many times I call him and ask if he wants me to wait and go to the range with him after work. It's nice to do things together when possible. It's also easier to set up tarps and targets and get all the range bags out and ready with two people.

Jeff82
01-25-2007, 08:07
Originally posted by Atlantya
Couple that with having on hearing protection so I can't tell if someone is approaching from behind and I last about five shots before I have to take my hearing protection off, check the place out, then resume shooting.
Not wanting to intrude Ladies but I have a comment,

Buy some electronic ear muffs (you can even wear them "backwards"- mics to the rear). Then your hearing is actually enhanced, except of course, when the gun is actually going off.

austinglock
01-25-2007, 09:52
I generally go to the range by myself & shoot. I find it a great way to "get away from it all" and just focus on me for a little bit. It's also nice that I don't have to worry about the husband or the kids then either! At least 1 hr to myself!

Two-Gun Mary
01-31-2007, 18:51
Neither of us go to the outdoor range alone. The one we use is rather isolated and at the end of a dead-end road.

After hearing a few stories about shooters being robbed and even shot a remote ranges, we always have a spare loaded gun holstered while shooting and keep an eye on "interesting" looking people who may show up.

There is a local indoor range at the Bass Pro hq. but it's a bit annoying to use so I've only been there a time or two.

tlish
02-04-2007, 09:54
i usually go to the indoor range w/ hubby and/or friends. i use our own homemade outdoor range alone, though.

WIG19
02-07-2007, 08:37
Originally posted by Jeff82
Not wanting to intrude Ladies but I have a comment,

Buy some electronic ear muffs (you can even wear them "backwards"- mics to the rear). Then your hearing is actually enhanced, except of course, when the gun is actually going off. Absolutely what Jeff said. Although they are available many places for this price, Cabela's has been selling these Peltors (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20801_TGP&rid=&indexId=cat20801&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat20801&id=0006334) at this price for some time, right off the rack. The other outdoor houses & online sale places have them too. :thumbsup:

:patriot:

Jane
02-07-2007, 09:45
I shoot at 3 ranges, and 97% of the time "go" alone.

I say go, because two are public ranges. One of those is an indoor range in town. I may be the only shooter in the range, but there are always other people in the store.

The second range is the action pistol range where I shoot IDPA or USPSA. Again, always other people there.

I belong to a third range out in the sticks. That's way cool, as sometimes I'm the only person there and I can set up multiple targets and do my own thing.

As for frequency... lately mostly one or two matches a month (I shoot them for the practice, I'm not particularly good) and on occasion a practice session.

Probably my most nervous "go to the range alone" was my first IDPA match some years ago. I didn't know anybody there or what I was getting myself into. But I had a good time, and have been shooting there ever since. (This year also went to the TX and CA state IDPA matches and IDPA nationals all by my little self.)

There are a few other women who show up by themselves for our local USPSA matches, but I'm usually the only one for our IDPA matches who isn't there with a man.

kimbur
02-09-2007, 05:53
I almost always go alone. My SO lives in another county and we have different days off, so coordinating shooting time is difficult. As of late, I have been trying to shoot twice a week at a small indoor range less than a mile from my house. I am hoping to progress to some match shooting soon.

JadedOne
02-09-2007, 11:41
I almost always go alone. If there's someone else there (indoor range), they usually end up flirting with me, and I get free range time, free ammo, and a chance to try out guns I won't be able to afford for some time :banana:

Reddot47
02-11-2007, 07:14
I have a fabulous range 5 miles from my house that I go to. I am usually alone except on weekends when we are shooting in competitions.

I want to second the use of electronic earmuffs. They allow one to hear everything except the shot going off.