Recipe for scallops [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recipe for scallops

Criphunter44
01-19-2007, 22:21
Well I cooked scallops for the first time last night, I need help!
Rinsed them with cold water, pre-heated skillet with butter and garlic, But I over cooked...so if anyone has any recipes (please include cook time) please share!

stooxie
01-20-2007, 11:26
Originally posted by Criphunter44
Well I cooked scallops for the first time last night, I need help!
Rinsed them with cold water, pre-heated skillet with butter and garlic, But I over cooked...so if anyone has any recipes (please include cook time) please share!

Scallops are eaten raw in many cultures (sushi, ceviche, etc) so they don't need much cooking time at all. Like most shellfish, they become tough when cooked too long.

Best thing to do: get a heavy pan stinkin' hot and sear them for just 20 - 30 seconds on a side in a little clarified butter (yum) or olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, a little lemon juice and you're good to go.

Good scallops should be sweet, tender with a mild, pleasant seafood flavor.

Search the 'net for how to choose good scallops. Not hard, but a couple things to look for.

-Stooxie

Dandapani
01-20-2007, 15:32
The "smaller" the scallops the better they are is something I've been told.

Mild Bill
01-20-2007, 15:52
I'll toss a bunch of shrimp in a pan with olive oil, lots of sauteed minced garlic, minced onion,
& reduced white wine, then add some butter and toss...
Then I'll add some scallops, some seasoning, toss real quick, cover, and let the scallops finish cooking off the heat...
Squeeze lemon, and toss with chopped Italian Parsley...

Lotsa garlic bread...

:thumbsup:

Criphunter44
01-20-2007, 19:27
Thanks all,
I;m new to cooking seafood, do a mean steak or pork loin, not bad with chicken, but fish, I have a ways to go...