SxS for quail? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SxS for quail?

spartan88
01-20-2007, 16:45
Is a side by side 20ga an option for quail or dove? Or is an O/U a better choice?

suckersrus
01-20-2007, 20:26
For some reason, north of the Mason Dixon line quail tend to fly one above the other. So the O/O is the best choice.

South of the Mason Dixon line, when you jump quail they tend to fly left and right, so go with the SS.

:animlol:

Actually, it is the shooter's choice. The SS feels too "wide" to me and uncomfortable for fast action. It works OK if I have plenty of time. But with quail, things usually happen rather fast.

The point of aim with a SS is between the barrels and the shot charges will cross somewhere out in front of the muzzles.
The O/O is simply a single barrel with another single barrel stacked on it. The sighting is the same for both barrels. So, in theory the O/O should be the easiest to master.

I have an SKB O/U and it just feels and points "normal" for me.

Have you shot both? Your impression?

TJC
02-04-2007, 07:25
SxS 20 is just fine for quail. Get yourself some #8s and you'll be set.

noway
02-04-2007, 16:35
Yes a SXS or O/U would be okay for quail, just reloading would be a ***** and you only have 2 shots.

btw: I use 7s or 7.5s for more shot in the air and a cleaner kill. I've even use #6s in tight brush to make sure the quail is down good.