Prospective LDS forum [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Prospective LDS forum

RMTactical
01-21-2007, 22:36
I thought I would mention to you that I started a potential LDS forum. All we need is 50 votes to get it, and I figured we could get a good deal of these votes from folks who spend time around here...

Please vote for it. I think it can be a place to discuss LDS issues, etc... plus it can be a place that non-LDS can ask questions, etc...

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=645126

Sambolijah
01-22-2007, 07:52
I voted.

UtahBen
01-22-2007, 11:29
I Hit It

Steve Koski
01-22-2007, 18:18
Sounds like a real, um, nevermind.

Steve Koski
01-22-2007, 18:19
JW Forum?

Hasidic Jew Forum?

Muslim Forum?

Wicken Forum?

RMTactical
01-22-2007, 19:39
If they can get 50 votes for the forum they are welcome to it according to the rules that Eric has established...

There are far more forums on this board that I don't ever go nto than forums that I regularly check...

Ox and Alex? What the hell is that? I don't go in there, but if someone else wants to, that's their deal...

Black Ice
01-23-2007, 08:46
:shakehead: ...Well here ya go. You already have a forum set up for ya..

Religious Issues
Here is a place for those religious/philosophical discussions. This topic doesn't have much of a place in a firearm's-related forum, in my opinion, but if people want to talk about it, I will give them a place to do so, if they mind their manners.

Religon should be like sex... Practiced in the privacy of your own home! [ And there would be alot less problems in the world.]

RMTactical
01-23-2007, 11:50
It'd probably be more about the culture, not as much about religious issues.

Plus, the religious issues has it's own trolls.

Also, if religious issues was good enough for LDS, then Non-Glock firearms should be good enough for all the other firearms forums on here...

But nobody ever complains about that...

Black Ice
01-23-2007, 12:39
Originally posted by RMTactical
It'd probably be more about the culture, not as much about religious issues.

Plus, the religious issues has it's own trolls.

Also, if religious issues was good enough for LDS, then Non-Glock firearms should be good enough for all the other firearms forums on here...

But nobody ever complains about that... But nobody ever complains about that

Maybe because it's a firearms web-site...:headscratch:

RMTactical
01-23-2007, 14:11
Originally posted by Black Ice
But nobody ever complains about that

Maybe because it's a firearms web-site...:headscratch:

You should take it up with Eric then... because there are plenty of forums on this board with no special correlation to firearms... Like the Utah Glockers forum, for instance...

In fact, about half of the forums on here have nothing specifically to do with firearms...

Sambolijah
01-23-2007, 14:22
I still don't see the problem with it.
I think it's not a bad idea.

Black Ice
01-23-2007, 15:40
You should take it up with Eric then... because there are plenty of forums on this board with no special correlation to firearms... Like the Utah Glockers forum, for instance...

In fact, about half of the forums on here have nothing specifically to do with firearms...

Look at it this way. You go to April confrernce, An there is a bunch on the back row talking about firearms and culture.
What's the congregation going to think.
If you guys get your own group fourm, good for you.. All I am saying is that Eric has been good enough to provide a place for this, and it should be used as such. As I said in my first post, In Eric's own words.

Here is a place for those religious/philosophical discussions. This topic doesn't have much of a place in a firearm's-related forum, in my opinion, but if people want to talk about it, I will give them a place to do so, if they mind their manners.

............. I don't want to be the cause of this thread getting closed so I'me... :outtahere:

GixxerSixxer
01-23-2007, 16:55
I'm not Mormon but some of my friends are so I'll vote for it.

Sambolijah
01-23-2007, 17:27
Originally posted by Black Ice
snip

Then Eric will decide.
If he thinks it is not appropriate, then it won't happen.
If he doesn't mind, then there is no problem.

:)

Steve Koski
01-23-2007, 22:34

Really? Read the next two words carefully: (1) Utah (2) GLOCKERS. Do any of those words have a correlation to firearms?

I couldn't care less if there's some mormon zealot forum created on GT, but I think it's funny that you can't see any firearm correlation in the title "Utah Glockers."

MakeMineA10mm
01-23-2007, 22:53
Well, I for one, have a lot of questions about LDS. I think that, due to the way I see other threads getting trolled at on other subjects, something as personal as religion would better be handled privately, though, so I think my questions will be shot to a couple of you via PM, rather than a forum.

RMTactical
01-23-2007, 23:38
Originally posted by Steve Koski
Really? Read the next two words carefully: (1) Utah (2) GLOCKERS. Do any of those words have a correlation to firearms?

I couldn't care less if there's some mormon zealot forum created on GT, but I think it's funny that you can't see any firearm correlation in the title "Utah Glockers."

So as long as we call it the "LDS Glockers" forum than it's just as firearms related as Utah Glockers is, right??

triggerjerk
01-24-2007, 10:11
Finally!

A place to share funeral potato recipies!:banana: :rofl: :thumbsup:

Sambolijah
01-24-2007, 10:24
Originally posted by triggerjerk
Finally!

A place to share funeral potatoe recipies!:banana: :rofl: :thumbsup:

:banana:

ElConquistador
01-24-2007, 16:29
I'll vote buy only if it is "The Caucasian Mormon Glockers Club".

:laughabove: :laughabove:

I hate to agree with Steve but I'm going to have to take his side on this one. I think between the "Utah Glockers Club" and the "Religious Issues" we should about have it covered.

One thing that drives me nuts about this site is the redundancy. How many different forums do we need for the same thing, you can't hardly post anything without getting it moved to some obscure section you didn't know we had.

:laughabove:

Mallan
01-24-2007, 21:46
Finally!

Yeah 'cause my wife has adapted that recipe to make Turkey Enchiladas!

But wait I could share that here... Hmmm:tongueout:

TylerDurden
01-25-2007, 13:09

Good points, maybe we should call it the "Mormon Zealot Glockers and Non-Glockers Club" or maybe just the "No Koskis Club".

lexmedic157
01-25-2007, 13:28
Finally!

Man,
And I just got back from a funeral in Logan, and I saw no funeral potatoes!! What are they?

reerc
01-25-2007, 17:12
Originally posted by lexmedic157
Man,
And I just got back from a funeral in Logan, and I saw no funeral potatoes!! What are they?

Heresy! A funeral's not a funeral (well, the luncheon for the family and close friends at the cultural hall of the church after) without funeral potatoes! (and sliced ham, and rolls, and an assortment of salads - one of them must be green Jell-O, and an assortment of sheet cakes.)

Funeral Potatoes (http://stage-recipes.ksl.com/recipe-4153i.php)

There are recipes in every Mormon-related cookbook as well.

:thumbsup:

triggerjerk
01-25-2007, 20:45
The next time we have some for dinner (at my house they are for more than just funerals) I'll take some pics:rofl:

TampaXB
01-25-2007, 20:48
It might be a good idea to post this in S/P as well.
I've never been to Utah. The fact I was in this club forum shows there is a use for it.

Dalton Wayne
01-25-2007, 21:03
This is a Gun forum, one religious forum on here is enough. because if you allow an LDS all other religions will feel left out and you will need to allow them to have a forum as well.
so I vote no...

thetoastmaster
01-26-2007, 17:53
I think it will go over like a fart in sacrament meeting...

Sambolijah
02-13-2007, 20:25
The forum is up. Thanks RMTactical for getting it moving!

lcarreau
02-15-2007, 19:15
Originally posted by Sambolijah
The forum is up. Thanks RMTactical for getting it moving!

Check again.

Sambolijah
02-15-2007, 20:28
Originally posted by lcarreau
Check again.

?

lcarreau
02-15-2007, 20:32
?

Eric said no and locked the thread.

Sambolijah
02-15-2007, 20:34
Eric said no and locked the thread.

I just saw that a moment ago.

But here's the link. (http://www.glocktalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=191)

I'm a little confused.

lcarreau
02-15-2007, 20:37
I just saw that a moment ago.

But here's the link. (http://www.glocktalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=191)

I'm a little confused.

That is odd. I toopk Eric's post to mean no.

-Lonnie

Sambolijah
02-15-2007, 21:03
That is odd. I toopk Eric's post to mean no.

-Lonnie

Nevermind, it's toast.

RMTactical
02-15-2007, 21:30
Oh well.

I'm really not that broken up over it to tell the truth... It received a lot of bad press, trolls, and such... so maybe we're better off w/o it.

I was kind of surprised about the amount of opposition.

I understand and respect why Eric is opposed to it, and it has nothing specifically to do with LDS, but what bothers me is the amount of bigotry from those who opposed it strictly because they hate LDS or religious people in general.

At any rate, off to the BRC with me... :supergrin:

Sambolijah
02-15-2007, 21:39
Oh well.

I'm really not that broken up over it to tell the truth... It received a lot of bad press, trolls, and such... so maybe we're better off w/o it.

I understand and respect why Eric is opposed to it, and it has nothing specifically to do with LDS, but what bothers me is the amount of bigotry from those who opposed it strictly because they hate LDS or religious people in general.

Agreed. His site, his rules.
But it was worth a shot, and you got quite a few people to vote in favor of it.

lcarreau
02-15-2007, 22:19
Oh well.

Most of the folks that spoke out against it cited the very reason Eric mentioned. There were only 2 that I thought were actual bigoted trolls.

-Lonnie

RMTactical
02-16-2007, 02:13
Most of the folks that spoke out against it cited the very reason Eric mentioned. There were only 2 that I thought were actual bigoted trolls.

-Lonnie

Yeah, but you didn't read some of the PM's I got...

triggerjerk
02-16-2007, 14:33
I didn't see any trolling in the forum itself.

Has any other religious group requested a subforum?

I really doubt we'll see Catholics, Baptists, Unitarians, Greek Orthodoxes, Anglicans, Wiccans, Methodists, etc., etc.
clamoring for a subforum. :upeyes:

ElConquistador
02-16-2007, 15:24
It seems to me that if one wants to discuss religion with people who have like beliefs then maybe they could, I don't know, go to a damn church!!!!!

This was a bad idea from the get-go, I'm glad to see that someone put a stop to it. Honestly, sometimes I'm embarrassed to be from Utah the way some of you guys act. GoreLicks, you are probably the worst, this isn't testimony meeting and more harm than good is done to your cause by pretending that it is.

Sambolijah
02-16-2007, 15:30
Originally posted by ElConquistador
It seems to me that if one wants to discuss religion with people who have like beliefs then maybe they could, I don't know, go to a damn church!!!!!

This was a bad idea from the get-go, I'm glad to see that someone put a stop to it. Honestly, sometimes I'm embarrassed to be from Utah the way some of you guys act. GoreLicks, you are probably the worst, this isn't testimony meeting and more harm than good is done to your cause by pretending that it is.

Kind of like discussing guns only in a gun shop?

Easy there.

UBU
02-16-2007, 15:55
El Con.... Well said. Im sure im the dirty little troll. Some people never learn.:thumbsup:

triggerjerk
02-16-2007, 16:36

Wow. Way to go. Harassing people for speaking their mind.

RMTactical
02-16-2007, 17:38

Calm down.

ElConquistador
02-16-2007, 17:46
Kind of like discussing guns only in a gun shop?

Easy there.

Are you comparing religious beliefs to gun discussions?

You are either way too serious about guns or way to casual with your personal religious beliefs.

ElConquistador
02-16-2007, 17:47
Wow. Way to go. Harassing people for speaking their mind.

So are you then harassing me for speaking my mind? Or is it only "harassing" when the opinion differs from your own?

ElConquistador
02-16-2007, 17:50
Calm down.

Thanks.

You would be well to take that advice yourself rather than trying to defend your religion against every anonymous yahoo that bruises your pride.

RMTactical
02-16-2007, 17:53
Thanks.

You would be well to take that advice yourself rather than trying to defend your religion against every anonymous yahoo that bruises your pride.

Calm Down (http://www.midol.com/index.asp)

ElConquistador
02-16-2007, 18:02
Calm Down (http://www.midol.com/index.asp)

Midol huh?

That's kind of funny but only because your dodging the subject and going straight for insults.

Next you should go for personal attacks, you know, call me a Nazi or something.

RMTactical
02-16-2007, 18:12
Midol huh?

That's kind of funny but only because your dodging the subject and going straight for insults.

Next you should go for personal attacks, you know, call me a Nazi or something.

Are you a Nazi?

What do you mean I am dodging the subject? What subject? I spoke my piece on the subject already.

You made a post in which you were clearly very upset and have made that clear (and you started with the insults). I don't know what to tell you. I'm over this whole thing. Really, I am. I'm not crying myself to sleep over not having an LDS forum. In fact, I am kind of relieved.

You really just need to calm down. The link to the midol was given in the hopes that it could help you. You should try it.

thetoastmaster
02-16-2007, 18:42
Like I wrote, "a fart in sacrament meeting."

Sambolijah
02-16-2007, 19:34
And with that, lets let this thread die, guys.

No point in starting a pissing contest in this forum where there is GNG. :thumbsup:

Steve Koski
02-16-2007, 20:19
Originally posted by thetoastmaster
Like I wrote, "a fart in sacrament meeting." It's the direct fulfillment of prophecy. Praise to theToastmaster!

Steve Koski
02-16-2007, 21:01
This was also predicted in the OT, if you look closely enough.

thetoastmaster
02-16-2007, 21:14
This was also predicted in the OT, if you look closely enough.

I never wanted to post in that thread. I wanted no part of that thread. It's not that I'm against talking about religion. It's more that I am against casting my pearls before swine.

lcarreau
02-16-2007, 21:18
I never wanted to post in that thread. I wanted no part of that thread. It's not that I'm against talking about religion. It's more that I am against casting my pearls before swine.

So the GT membership is swine?

thetoastmaster
02-16-2007, 21:25
I consider my religious beliefs sacred, and will not contribute to their mockery on an open forum, thank you very much.

lcarreau
02-16-2007, 21:49
I consider my religious beliefs sacred, and will not contribute to their mockery on an open forum, thank you very much.

I think a smart individual of any religios persuasion would be wise to adhere to this policy. GT is not the place. :thumbsup:

RMTactical
02-16-2007, 21:51

It wasn't as much about the religion itself to me, as much as the culture at least to me anyways... I guess I was seeing or wanting the creation of that forum to be something that couldn't or wouldn't be... and I think that is why I am now somewhat relieved to see it gone (or going anyways).

I also think that my misconcieved thinking about the forum was part of the misunderstanding that drew so much criticism.

I can admit when I am wrong. The creation of that forum (or the attempt at it) was a mistake.

It's behind me now though.

reerc
02-16-2007, 22:56

I've stayed away from every angle of this discussion until now.

Amen.

thetoastmaster
02-17-2007, 09:40
It wasn't as much about the religion itself to me, as much as the culture at least to me anyways... I guess I was seeing or wanting the creation of that forum to be something that couldn't or wouldn't be... and I think that is why I am now somewhat relieved to see it gone (or going anyways).

I also think that my misconcieved thinking about the forum was part of the misunderstanding that drew so much criticism.

I can admit when I am wrong. The creation of that forum (or the attempt at it) was a mistake.

It's behind me now though.

My advice then, would be to carry on all cultural discussion in the Utah forum, or at Zion's Camp (I've seen you post there).

reerc
02-17-2007, 09:56
Just so y'all know, this wasn't simple lazyness on my part (although, I AM simple and lazy), I also belong to other forums; usually same screen name & avatar.

When Warren Jeffs (filthy bastard) was captured, there was a discussion about it on one of those other forums. Several members of that forum used that event as a springboard to unleash their anti-Mormon bigotry and hatred in a thread that went on for far too many pages and days. (I'm frankly disappointed in that forum's moderators for not "moderating" some of the vile hate speech we were subjected to. Also, every time Utah even comes up in ANY context of ANY post, one or two of those members take the opportunity to bash the state, and its "predominant cult that they don't want you to know about."

Actually, our most vocal supporters were non-members who had lived/worked with us, and had "seen our good works." The power of good example (sorry for my potty mouth - I'll work on it) was evident.

So, to summarize, I guess my point is I think we'd just be setting ourselves up - asking for it; and to others' point, where would it end? Baptist's forums? Presbyterian's forums? Shinto's forums? When you hit the pull-down of sub-forums in GT, it's AMAZING how much variety is already here. This is Eric's place, he does a great job running it, and I support his decision to limit the subforums.

AND ... I haven't even looked, but I'm pretty "darn" sure, that if you DID look, there's probably dozens of forums already "out there" just for LDS, if that's what you want to focus on.