Gun shop closed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun shop closed

Bumpadrum
01-22-2007, 14:49
Called Northwest Guns on Grand River in Redford and was informed by the man who answered the phone that they were "out of business".
His explanation was vague, but it sounded like they may reopen if a new owner is found. They don't have a range and that was probably a factor. Even though most transactions are better made online I still like to poke around a brick-and-mortar site. And they are/were next door to my barber.

FJC
01-23-2007, 11:14
As I recall, the owner of that shop was shot a few years back in a robbery...I'm pretty sure he survived but I never heard if he went back to business.

Anyone know?

JohnJak
01-23-2007, 17:42
Chris that was there, was a very good person to deal with.

MetalManMI
01-23-2007, 20:14
Originally posted by FJC
As I recall, the owner of that shop was shot a few years back in a robbery...I'm pretty sure he survived but I never heard if he went back to business.

Anyone know?

Yep, luckly he was wearing his vest and the shots fired were CoM (right in the trauma plate of his vest). That happened right at closing one night and Chris came right back to work the very next day. He couldn't put the whole incident behind him fast enough.

FJC
01-24-2007, 11:52
So his shop is out of business now? Anyone hear why? Retired, or just couldn't keep afloat economically?

As I recall, the robber walked in and just started shooting without a word being said...

glock22357
01-24-2007, 17:00
I'd like to suggest that it might be because the Detroit area is about done. Un-employment and the lack of jobs is killing the area. Good luck for those who decide to stay.

MetalManMI
01-24-2007, 17:06
Originally posted by FJC
As I recall, the robber walked in and just started shooting without a word being said...

The guy came in as Chris was closing. He asked to buy some ammo, Chris let him in and helped him. When they went over to the cash register, that's when they guy pulled a gun and announced the hold-up. When he went to leave, he decided to put a few rounds into Chris' chest (vest). Chris returned fire until the guy left the building (no hits).

Scooter70
01-25-2007, 20:37
Originally posted by FJC
So his shop is out of business now? Anyone hear why? Retired, or just couldn't keep afloat economically?

Probably because brick-and-mortar stores can't compete with internet retailers. I was at Shooter's Service in Livonia the other day looking for a pair of Meprolight nightsights. Their price was $105 plus $30 to install. I can get them from Top Gun Supply for $68 and told the guy that. He understood and said that they could still install them if I bought them elsewhere. I'd like to support the local shops but not when they're charging 30% more than I can get it for online.

drofnas
01-26-2007, 17:40
I work with Chris' girlfriend's niece. About a week ago she told me he was looking to sell. He has another job, with healthcare and no headaches. He had his employees running the place while he was at work. I stopped by yesterday, only to find them already closed. The shop is close to my house. I liked to stop by and ****-chat. I've spent a fair amount of money there. Taken a couple of classes. Great place and great people. Sad to see them closed.

Just not enough business to keep things going. About a year or two ago he was looking to get a range going nearby and relocate. Just not enough cash coming in to get it going.

Bummer for me. I'll have to get serious about buying things online and doing them myself.

MichiganPython
02-01-2007, 08:10
That's too bad. Real nice people, real nice place. Any idea when they are officially closed? I wonder if there will be any going-out-of-business sales.

drofnas
02-01-2007, 08:35
Already gone. I couldn't tell you what they are doing with any left-over inventory, if they have any. There was a sign on the door last week: "Out of Business".

We missed it. Too late.

MichiganPython
02-01-2007, 09:26
Originally posted by drofnas
Already gone. We missed it. Too late.

The story of my life.

drofnas
02-01-2007, 12:18
Originally posted by MichiganPython
The story of my life.

You and me both.