.308 enough gun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .308 enough gun?

Criphunter44
01-22-2007, 20:29
My main Hunting rifle is a Browning BLR in .308, I have knocked down deer with on shot using 165 gr. ballistic tips and I have a lot of faith in that round. My questions is, am i good for bear, elk, caribou and moose with this gun? Or do I start looking for something a little bigger for the elk/moose hunting.
Please advise,
CripHunter

major
01-22-2007, 20:36
I killed an elk with a .308, no problem. Might want something larger for moose and bear, though.

Brass Nazi
01-22-2007, 20:39
The .308/30-06 will kill anything in North America. If you are going after elk or moose make sure you use a very good bullet that is known for deep penetration. Nosler ballistic tips are not know for their deep penetration, use Nosler partitions.

vafish
01-22-2007, 20:54
My best friend grew up in Alaska.

According to his hunting stories us used a .308 quite will on deer, caribou, and moose.

My dad and his hunting buddies have made several trips to Alaska, .30-06 worked just fine on moose and caribou for them.

Criphunter44
01-22-2007, 20:58
thanks guys :thumbsup:

CanyonMan
01-22-2007, 21:49
Originally posted by Criphunter44
My main Hunting rifle is a Browning BLR in .308, I have knocked down deer with on shot using 165 gr. ballistic tips and I have a lot of faith in that round. My questions is, am i good for bear, elk, caribou and moose with this gun? Or do I start looking for something a little bigger for the elk/moose hunting.
Please advise,
CripHunter

Is it enough?
Yes...Use it and don't worry.

CanyonMan

DJ Niner
01-23-2007, 01:58
When I lived up in the Fairbanks area, I worked in a gunshop that sold a lot of guns and ammo to the native village folks that lived waaaaaaaay out in the bush. Most popular were .30-06 and .30-30 rifles, and the users thought they worked just fine for moose and caribou.

noway
01-23-2007, 05:53
A former CEO shot moose with caliber lesser than 308win heck most where not 30cal at that. IS it enough ? hell yes !

Unless you plan on hunting off this side of planet earth and/or going to another continent (i.e Africa ) I would not worry about my 308winny ;)

Sharker
01-23-2007, 11:12
I agree with all the posts... expecially about using something other than Ballistic tips...

That being said, my family is from Maine, and a few years back they learned the trick to shooting moose.... shoot the "hump" and both shoulders will break, and then shoot it a second time to "finish it." This trick was learned after my uncle put two 06 rounds into the boiler of a cow moose and she made it 1/2 a mile. He said both rounds wrecked everything in the power plant, but still she "ambled" that distance. It took 12 hours to pack her out. Since then he hunted with a buddy and they did the shoulder trick, said the moose was on the deck immediately.

noway
01-24-2007, 06:18
hmm.......

Every body I known that has shot moose reccommend the opposite. Very easily to miss the hump and your not gurantee to get a vital mortal shot and then have you even seen the size of a moose shoulder :shocked:

We aren't talkin a deer here now ;)

Standard shots behind the leg elbow is the typical shoot to take. Moose will die if you hit the vitals like that would be exposed on a broadside shot.

btw moose vension is very good and big cuts of meat at that .Our CEO used to show his hams, from a moose and If I had to guess they where at least 60lbs a piece probably more.The complete shoulder looked very big also.

btw: I would be looking to get 60lb or meat in total off one Florida sized deer ;)

vafish
01-24-2007, 07:19
Originally posted by noway

btw: I would be looking to get 60lb or meat in total off one Florida sized deer ;)

You're doing pretty good then.

The little doe my son shot this year wasn't much more than 60 lbs field dressed. I'd be surprised if we got 25 lbs of meat off of it.

Mighty tasty though.

Sharker
01-25-2007, 10:19
Every body I known that has shot moose reccommend the opposite. Very easily to miss the hump and your not gurantee to get a vital mortal shot and then have you even seen the size of a moose shoulder

Not sure to your buddies, but in Maine, they (most of my family) drive the golden road in Greenville, and the trick is to find a big moose on or near a side road. Shots are about 30 yards. While I have never done it, my uncle said both shoulders were destroyed by the 06 round they sent into it. (This is not a kill shot, but meerly a way of ensuring the moose stays put.

The trick is to hit right above the back bone line (so he says).

And yes, I have seen many many moose. Nothing more I enjoy then the Great North woodlands. The moose come out to the roads to lick the salt and to get away from the black flys/mosquitos. Huge critters. Looks like a horse on stilts.

I dont know if this is true, but I know a guy who shot a moose in Jackman, and he swears he drug it back to camp behind a ganue (sp) across the lake. Says that they float. That doesnt make sense to me being they regularly are completely under water when eating in the water.

A_Swede_17_1911
02-14-2007, 19:19
A .308 makes sense for just about all big game in the lower 48 states, and would use it for Caribou as well. I know alot of people thats what they use for Bear, Deer, and Elk back home in Oregon.

You can just use the right bullet for the job.