Why did Hummer change it's design? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why did Hummer change it's design?


emt1581
01-23-2007, 09:10
When I was younger, the Hummers looked like Hummers...today, the Hummers look like big colorful toys.

I'm guessing consumer demand had something to do with all the changes, but for those who know, why did the Hummer change if not due to consumer demand and what changes have exactly taken place design/parts-wise?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Dandapani
01-23-2007, 09:26
$$$

emt1581
01-23-2007, 09:33
Originally posted by dmobrien2001
$$$

Is the newer Hummer cheaper to make or selling for more or both or what?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

ChuteTheMall
01-23-2007, 09:48
The original Hummer was designed for off-road use.

The newer Hummers are for posers.

knightkrawler00
01-23-2007, 21:55
The new Hummer is a look-a-like on a slightly modified Tahoe chassis. Not as strong or capable off-road, but I dought you will see too many off the pavement. It's just less expensive and easier for soccer moms to drive.

You can go to www.hummer.com and check them out, the original is still available.

Blitzer
01-23-2007, 22:26
Originally posted by emt1581
Is the newer Hummer cheaper to make or selling for more or both or what?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

It is called online web searching for car prices, maybe you could try it sometime it is quite wonderful! :supergrin: ;)

emt1581
01-24-2007, 00:17
Originally posted by Blitzer
It is called online web searching for car prices, maybe you could try it sometime it is quite wonderful! :supergrin: ;)

I'd never dream of searching for car prices on a car I don't intend to purchase. Last time I search for a vehicle's price I ended up buying it. Lord knows I don't need that kinda headache for a few years yet...;)

Oh yeah and...:tongueout:

-Emt1581

Diesel Scout
01-25-2007, 00:15
Original Hummer= AM General, custom chassis and interior and outsourced engine and trans. Purpose build off road machine, on road secondary design

H2 and H3= GM's interpertation of the Hummer for the masses who think they need a hummer, when they would probably could get by with a Jeep, but they've got 50K+ burning a hole in there pocket and need a little bling. Form built on road machine, off road secondary design.

Tennessee Slim
01-26-2007, 08:23
There was no intention to market the Hummer to civilians …until Arnold Schwarzenegger announced he wanted one. When AM finally relented and sold him one, that was the camel’s nose under the tent. As their clientele became trendier, they introduced the more upscale and less OR-capable H2s and H3s.

Dandapani
01-26-2007, 10:55
Originally posted by Diesel Scout
Original Hummer= AM General, custom chassis and interior and outsourced engine and trans. Purpose build off road machine, on road secondary design

H2 and H3= GM's interpertation of the Hummer for the masses who think they need a hummer, when they would probably could get by with a Jeep, but they've got 50K+ burning a hole in there pocket and need a little bling. Form built on road machine, off road secondary design.

Bingo, $$$

method
02-04-2007, 06:19
For all the talk about the H2 being a less capable (off road) vehicle than the H1, little is ever said about how it is overall a much better vehicle. Real passenger room, real cargo room (ever been in an H1?), creature comforts that aren't just tacked on, much better on road performance. I'd bet the H2 possesses 80% of the off road prowess as the H1, which is way more than most people will ever need.

epsylum
02-04-2007, 10:11
Originally posted by method
For all the talk about the H2 being a less capable (off road) vehicle than the H1, little is ever said about how it is overall a much better vehicle. Real passenger room, real cargo room (ever been in an H1?), creature comforts that aren't just tacked on, much better on road performance. I'd bet the H2 possesses 80% of the off road prowess as the H1, which is way more than most people will ever need.

Because it is a Suburban, NOT a Hummer. :tongueout:

method
02-04-2007, 15:30
Never said it was.

Diesel Scout
02-05-2007, 00:47
Originally posted by method
For all the talk about the H2 being a less capable (off road) vehicle than the H1, little is ever said about how it is overall a much better vehicle. Real passenger room, real cargo room (ever been in an H1?), creature comforts that aren't just tacked on, much better on road performance. I'd bet the H2 possesses 80% of the off road prowess as the H1, which is way more than most people will ever need.

Okay, I'll bite. How and why would you rate it at 80%? I think it's kinda of high. First of all, what really gives the H1 it's massive off road potential is it independant front and rear suspension with the use of portaled hubs at all four corners and a sturdy gear driven, lever shifted transfer case. On top of that the drive train is built to over 1 ton specs. Now, the H2 has none of this. It simply has standard GM drive train (light 3/4 ton) and a rear lockers.

I am interested to hear why you think it's 80%? Also, what kind of creature comforts can you get in an H2 that you can't get in an H1?

Eric2340
02-05-2007, 20:46
Originally posted by epsylum
Because it is a Suburban, NOT a Hummer. :tongueout:


Actually, if you want to be technical, the H2 chassis is a 2500 series 4WD Tahoe / Yukon chassis series.


The Chevy Tahoe is available in a 4WD chassis, but only in a 1500 series.


The GMC Yukon is available in a 4WD chassis in 1500 series, and I belive (but I could be wrong here) also available in a 4WD 2500 series chassis, but only in the Denali trim line (but don't quote me on that, I could be wrong, it still could only be available in a 1500 series chassis like the Tahoe.


The Suburban (formally "Suburban" in both flavors, now known as a "Yukon XL" in GMC form and still as a "Suburban" when it's a Chevy :)) is available in 4WD in both 1500 and 2500 chassis series, and also in Denali trim too ("Denali" is GMCs trim line for it's luxury orientated trucks now).


The Chevy Avalanch (actually a Suburban frame w/ a different body) is availble in 4WD 1500 and 2500 series chassis also BTW.



The H3 is based on the Chevy Trailblazer / GMC Envoy platforms. The H3 is still pretty big, but smaller than the H2, and more of a "mid-sized" SUV.


I have personally now had two Tahoes, both in 2WD, one an '03, the other an '07. My father-in-law has a Hummer H2. Both are very nice, both are very capable vehicles. It comes down to this - the Tahoe is more "utilitarian" if you will, while the H2 is for more of the "kewl!" factor.

My father-in-law is a very modest man, but he does love his H2 as a toy. :)

That said, my wife and two boys are very happy riding around in their second "family truckster" now, and don't know the difference. :)



My $0.02 -

Eric


P.S. BTW personally I was against him getting the H2 until we took it on a 24hr test drive and spent an entire afternoon cruising around in it. While riding w/ him I thought it was neat, but not very practical and a waste of money. Then he let me drive it and I was like, "This thing's cool man, you gotta buy one!!" Hahahahahaha! (true story :)

epsylum
02-06-2007, 05:49
Originally posted by Eric2340
Actually, if you want to be technical, the H2 chassis is a 2500 series 4WD Tahoe / Yukon chassis series.


The Chevy Tahoe is available in a 4WD chassis, but only in a 1500 series.


The GMC Yukon is available in a 4WD chassis in 1500 series, and I belive (but I could be wrong here) also available in a 4WD 2500 series chassis, but only in the Denali trim line (but don't quote me on that, I could be wrong, it still could only be available in a 1500 series chassis like the Tahoe.


The Suburban (formally "Suburban" in both flavors, now known as a "Yukon XL" in GMC form and still as a "Suburban" when it's a Chevy :)) is available in 4WD in both 1500 and 2500 chassis series, and also in Denali trim too ("Denali" is GMCs trim line for it's luxury orientated trucks now).

They are all just big bedless (pointless IMO) trucks to me. I hope you don't want me to know the difference between Harleys also, do you? :supergrin:

Eric2340
02-06-2007, 13:07
Originally posted by epsylum
They are all just big bedless (pointless IMO) trucks to me. I hope you don't want me to know the difference between Harleys also, do you? :supergrin:


No, that would be almost as bad as trying to keep up with Smith and Wesson models, numbers, and frame sizes!

Hahahahaha! J/K :)


Eric

method
02-08-2007, 06:13
Originally posted by Diesel Scout
Okay, I'll bite. How and why would you rate it at 80%? I think it's kinda of high. First of all, what really gives the H1 it's massive off road potential is it independant front and rear suspension with the use of portaled hubs at all four corners and a sturdy gear driven, lever shifted transfer case. On top of that the drive train is built to over 1 ton specs. Now, the H2 has none of this. It simply has standard GM drive train (light 3/4 ton) and a rear lockers.

I am interested to hear why you think it's 80%? Also, what kind of creature comforts can you get in an H2 that you can't get in an H1?

I threw 80% out as a guess, a bet exactly as I stated. Put an H1 and an H2 through ten difficult off-road courses, and the H2 will be game for at least eight of them, equal drivers assumed. What's your guess? I saw a video a buddy had on DVD. Rich jackass goes out and buys a new Ford Expedition, something not really known for its off-road prowess. Sticks a buddy in the Expedition, himself in his H1, and they head off to big off-road recreation area. The Expedition got banged up to hell, but it went everywhere the H1 did, and made it back out. Sure, they didn't traverse any 45 degree slopes or ford three feet of water or climb any thirty inch verticals, and in those scenarios the H1 would've left most other trucks behind. Of course, there's scenarios where an H1 can be left behind by 'lesser' trucks.

Never said there were creature comforts available in an H2 but not in an H1.

Diesel Scout
02-08-2007, 06:39
Originally posted by method
I threw 80% out as a guess, a bet exactly as I stated. Put an H1 and an H2 through ten difficult off-road courses, and the H2 will be game for at least eight of them, equal drivers assumed. What's your guess? I saw a video a buddy had on DVD. Rich jackass goes out and buys a new Ford Expedition, something not really known for its off-road prowess. Sticks a buddy in the Expedition, himself in his H1, and they head off to big off-road recreation area. The Expedition got banged up to hell, but it went everywhere the H1 did, and made it back out. Sure, they didn't traverse any 45 degree slopes or ford three feet of water or climb any thirty inch verticals, and in those scenarios the H1 would've left most other trucks behind. Of course, there's scenarios where an H1 can be left behind by 'lesser' trucks.

Never said there were creature comforts available in an H2 but not in an H1.

I think our difference of opinion lies if what you see as difficult and what I see as difficult. Just as a measure, to me this is starting to get to the difficult end of the spectrum.

http://www.binderbulletin.org/photopost/data/500/339naches16.JPG

Another thing that makes me think this is the case is you last statement. In my mind, difficult course would have at least 45 degree slopes, minimum 3 feet+ fording depths and at least 30" verticle climbs.

I do agree, that drivers make all the difference. So in this case you have to to look at the vehicle and what it's factory capabilities are. The H1 has much better approach, departure and brake over angles the the H2 has. Combine that with the more advanced suspension and drivetrain, I'd say the H2, may have 35% of the offroad capability. But remember, mentally it would appear we are using different measures.

It is very true the H1 can be outpreformed, fairly easilly acutally. However, this thread is about the H1 vs. the H2 and H3, so I am trying to keep the discussion contained to those three vehicles. I can say with 100% certainty that there isn't one place off road the H2 could outpreform the H1. The H3 maybe because of it's size difference. Now on a drag strip, or going to get grocheries, the H2's got it all the way.

knightkrawler00
02-08-2007, 14:27
As far as creature comforts go, the H2 has the H1 beat. With that said, the last H1 I was in was covered in leather, had A/C, nice stereo system, power everything, and had a MOMO steering wheel that probably cost more than I care to know. The H1 can be loaded up pretty good, it just doesn't have all the little things from that you will find in a Suburban/Tahoe/H2.

method
02-08-2007, 23:00
Diesel Scout, I figured from your name that you were probably pretty hardcore into off-roading, and you obviously take your vehicle places most people wouldn't fathom. I wasn't trying to argue the merits of the H1 with you; if off-road ability is one's first priority, then the H1 is obviously far better equipped, but that's where its advantage starts and ends.

Given the aftermarket, any creature comfort can be fitted to any vehicle, but sometimes the integration is sloppy at best when the vehicle wasn't built with such comforts in mind. Case in point, the power window switches on an H1, which look horribly cheesy, even when fitted at the factory.

skeeeter
02-13-2007, 00:58
Seems like a lot of people here have strong opinions on the new Hummer H3 which is actually more capable than the H2 ( H3 can ford deeper water) but no wheres as good as the $100,000 H1-guess why?. I noticed none of them said they owned a Hummer so I guess they are just guessing because they do not know what they are talking about. All the car mags and off-road mags who tested the H3 and the rest said the H3 was the best OFF ROAD but it did not win top overall because it did not have the power of the FJ or the quiet ride of the Pathfinder on the highway.Basically all the mags said they would pick another off roader to drive to the off roading place but once they got there they would pick the Hummer. I happen to like it on road too. It rides very quiet under 65 mph but above that the straigth up windsheild is noisy. I am getting 19 mph on the highway.
I have owned and used the following for mostly (90%) hard off roading (just to get home to a wilderness cabin )- International Scout, CJ7 304 V8 and a 4 banger, Grand Cherokee 4 litre and a 360 V8, Pathfinder, and a FJ40 Landcruiser. The H3 I have now is a much better off road vehicle. It has the lowest crawl ratio out there, and best approach/decline angles plus in stock form it is the only vehicle that will fit 35" tires which give it the most ground clearance of any stock vehicle.Has a great locking rear diff. and while it is based on a Colorado pick-up the frame has MAJOR upgrades and re-enforcements. Do some research and notice where the alternator is located to be out of water, check out the oil pan good for prolong 60% grades, . Try it before you talk.

44Henry
02-18-2007, 21:28
Actually I tink they want to look like a Jeep.More marketable.:upeyes: