Current Magazine Capacity Limit in Columbus [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Current Magazine Capacity Limit in Columbus

anyplainjoe
01-23-2007, 12:15
Does anyone know what the current magazine capacity limit is in Columbus right now?

APGlock27
01-23-2007, 16:04
It's 10 rounds I believe. check out 2323 on http://ordlink.com/codes/columbus/index.htm

(L) “Assault weapon” means any:
(1) Semi-automatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has one (1) or more of the following:
(a) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the receiver of the weapon;
(b) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;
(c) A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
(d) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel; or
(e) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator;
(2) Semi-automatic pistol with a fixed magazine, or any semi-automatic, centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than ten (10) rounds of ammunition;

(A) No person shall knowingly sell, offer or display for sale, give, lend or transfer ownership of, acquire or possess any assault weapon.

AustinL911
01-23-2007, 19:52
Originally posted by APGlock27
It's 10 rounds I believe. check out 2323 on http://ordlink.com/codes/columbus/index.htm

(L) “Assault weapon” means any:
(1) Semi-automatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has one (1) or more of the following:
(a) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the receiver of the weapon;
(b) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;
(c) A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
(d) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel; or
(e) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator;
(2) Semi-automatic pistol with a fixed magazine, or any semi-automatic, centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than ten (10) rounds of ammunition;

(A) No person shall knowingly sell, offer or display for sale, give, lend or transfer ownership of, acquire or possess any assault weapon.

Read further:

(3) Semi-automatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has one (1) or more of the following:
(a) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip than can be held by the non-trigger hand;
(b) A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
(c) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel;
(d) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator; or
(e) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at any location outside of the pistol grip;

I see no restrictions on magazine size according to this. Which I would take to mean, run however many you want as long as your gun has a detachable mag. i.e. Glock.

APGlock27
01-24-2007, 06:35
I might not be right on this one, and that's why i posted the link. I'm not a lawyer and am definitely not qualified to interpret the above laws.

I might have been confusing Columbus with Toledo also =\ I live in Dayton and we don't have any silly magazine laws so ...

glockman513
01-24-2007, 09:34
Thank (the higher power of your choice) that this goes away in march!!

anyplainjoe
01-24-2007, 09:49
you got that right-what is it-49 days or so to go!

glockman513
01-24-2007, 10:59
Not sure of the exact date, but the good thing is that now I can carry my G17 with a fully loaded mag without being a criminal! Cincinnati's AWB was 15 rounds max.

Linda
01-24-2007, 17:18
MARCH 14, 2007 :thumbsup:

WHAT A GLORIOUS DAY IT SHALL BE!

:bluesbrothers:

anyplainjoe
01-24-2007, 17:35
Someone could have a good little college industry making a special follower which would restrict a 17 rnd mag down to 15 rounds.

glockman513
01-25-2007, 10:49
Put in some sort of spacer between the floorplate and the spring?

anyplainjoe
01-25-2007, 11:40
Or just have an extra length sucking follower. Imagine all the folks (across the US) who could now legally have a 15 rnd mag in the model 17.

APGlock27
01-25-2007, 20:18
I'm not sure that would fly since it could be easily converted to a "hi-cap" magazine, whereas the 10rd mags can't.

Syclone538
01-25-2007, 21:44
I’ve been thinking about turning my 33/31 round magazines into 30 round magazines to make them legal. Or will the 30(+1) limit change in march also?

Blitzer
01-25-2007, 22:29
Originally posted by anyplainjoe
Does anyone know what the current magazine capacity limit is in Columbus right now?

Ah yes Columbus, the anal opening of Ohio. :soap: :moonie:

JSK333
01-30-2007, 11:46
Originally posted by Syclone538
I’ve been thinking about turning my 33/31 round magazines into 30 round magazines to make them legal. Or will the 30(+1) limit change in march also?

Nope, that's still a state law. Please write your State reps. about it, asking for it to be removed. Have them work with Rep. Bill Seitz, as I have written to him in the past about it and he is willing to sponsor legislation to remove this dumb requirement.

Basically, it deems any firearm able to shoot more than 31 rounds (except for .22LR) without reloading as an "automatic firearm," which makes it "dangerous ordnance" by Ohio law, making it illegal to own without a State permit. It's a felony to own such a firearm, basically outlawing any magazine that holds more than 30 rounds.

WRITE YOUR REPS!