Moving from Indianapolis to San Francisco-Do I have to sell my guns? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Moving from Indianapolis to San Francisco-Do I have to sell my guns?

MastaDeLePoque
01-23-2007, 18:25
My Glock brothers,

I am moving from Indy (pro-guns) to San Francisco (???) and would like to know if anybody could tell me if I need to sell my glock handguns and Remi shotguns due to legal issues. Indy is very open about carrying and whatnot, but I dont know much about cali. I dont expect to be able to carry out there, but what about ownership? Can I keep them in my house?

Thanks,

MDLP

Norman
01-23-2007, 18:34
I'm sorry to hear that, man. I want first dibs on the Remmy shotguns, please.

Thanks! :supergrin:

JTB
01-23-2007, 20:40
handguns and shotguns are not a problem, no magazine over ten rounds. No Semiauto rifles that look evil. Here is a link to the DOJ website.
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/

MastaDeLePoque
01-24-2007, 09:02
WTF? You can own handguns in San Francisco? Are you sure? I thought it was anti-gun capital?

Blitzer
01-24-2007, 09:12
Kind of late to be asking that question? :shocked: :sad:

MastaDeLePoque
01-24-2007, 09:21
no i haven't sold any guns yet...and won't be now. i just spoke with the firearms div. and they said its all good. however, san fran is trying to pass a city ord. to outlaw gun ownership.

Chinaman Dan
01-24-2007, 10:56
Originally posted by MastaDeLePoque
no i haven't sold any guns yet...and won't be now. i just spoke with the firearms div. and they said its all good. however, san fran is trying to pass a city ord. to outlaw gun ownership.

They already tried that and it was ruled unconstitutional.

kevbo
01-25-2007, 13:18
Not only can you own handguns in SF, there is actually one dealer in the City (Highbridge-great folks)!

the NRA was able to stop the ban from taking place even thought the idiots, I mean voters passed it, being in conflict with the State laws (the same thing that defeated it the last time they tried).

Thanks NRA!

miwall
01-25-2007, 16:11
I live in the central valley and have only been to SF twice, once as a teen and once for a cruise. I took my G19 with me and carried concealed on the warf and other tourist areas. I didn't have a problem. If you keep it covered you should be ok. I wouldn't hold my breath if you want to get a ccw in SF. You would have to move to the valley and apply for one there. Pretty place to visit, but quite looney in their thinking.
:sad:

MastaDeLePoque
01-26-2007, 08:17
Ok so let me understand, if I live in a suburb of San Fran or whatever I'll unlikely be able to carry in the city, BUT if i live out away from San Fran I can get a ccw and then carry in the city? Or did u just carry illegally? I'm pretty sure ccw in the city is off limits right?

San Fran is VERY VERY liberal as I understand. liberals are generally very squeamish and afraid of everything so I can see their misunderstanding with firearms. I too was afraid of glocks and such until i learned how to fire and handle one. They're good people in San Fran, just different...

50 Shooter
01-26-2007, 08:53
If you plan to carry just keep your mouth shut about it, even if by some chance you do get a CCW. The fruits there will ostracize you faster then a straight man in a lesbian bar.

Don't get caught carrying illegally as they will make an example out of you.

gary newport
01-26-2007, 13:49
Ok so let me understand, if I live in a suburb of San Fran or whatever I'll unlikely be able to carry in the city, BUT if i live out away from San Fran I can get a ccw and then carry in the city? Or did u just carry illegally? I'm pretty sure ccw in the city is off limits right?

San Fran is VERY VERY liberal as I understand. liberals are generally very squeamish and afraid of everything so I can see their misunderstanding with firearms. I too was afraid of glocks and such until i learned how to fire and handle one. They're good people in San Fran, just different...

It is highly unlikely that you will be able to get a CCW permit anywhere around San Francisco--unless you are rich. famous or politically connected!

Merkavaboy
01-26-2007, 16:18
Many of the Ga....excuse me, Bay Area cities and counties are very anti-gun and you'll have a better chance of getting hit by a "blue ice" dropped from a Quantas Airlines 747 while standing at the exact middle of the Golden Gate bridge than getting a CCW!

For those of us who have a CCW permit here in CA., we can carry in any city/county jurisdiction, but I've been told that many of SFPD officers are anti-gun and will cause all kinds of hell and will confiscate your gun on the spot if we're caught "in their city".

Wulfenite
01-27-2007, 17:38
You don't have to sell your guns, but you should be prepared to forfeit your ability so speak freely on conservative subjects, your aversion to the smell of feces and urine, and your testes.

HarlDane
01-29-2007, 14:34

San Fran is VERY VERY liberal as I understand. liberals are generally very squeamish and afraid of everything so I can see their misunderstanding with firearms. I too was afraid of glocks and such until i learned how to fire and handle one. They're good people in San Fran, just different... If you were to move a few hours out of the city to a county with a pro ccw sheriff, you could get a ccw that would be valid in the city of San Fran. Many of the northern California Counties are pretty pro gun and ccw's are not hard to get. But like I said it would take living 3-4 hours outside the city. I have heard Mendocino County to the north is pretty good.

Cali-Glock
02-01-2007, 11:02
Have you checked out San Francisco? Real Estate, overall cost of living? VERY Different cost of living between Indy and SF. To put things into perspective, eight years ago (1998) I lived outside San Jose (which is south of San Francisco) and paid almost $1900 a month rent for a 1 bedroom apartment. The same apartment in the city of SF probably would have two times or more as much.

I'm pretty sure ccw in the city is off limits right?

I have heard the SF DA say on the radio that your CCW permit is not valid in SF, but he is blowing smoke.

hokieglock
02-01-2007, 14:09
HIJACK!

i live in placer county, how's the sherrif with issuing ccw permits?

Wulfenite
02-01-2007, 18:25
Since When!

hokieglock
02-02-2007, 14:19
Originally posted by Wulfenite
Since When!

you're right, seems like i live anyplace but placer these days.:usaf:

philkryder
02-14-2007, 20:55
ok guys - I thought we all had a deal to tell all the noobs moving into CA that they had to sell their guns and we would "handle the details" for them....

Next thing ya know you guys will be telling them how nice it is out here... shhh...

C9X19
02-14-2007, 23:56
So the handgun portion of Prop H was defeated. What about the part dealing with ammunition sales?

SHEPHERD321
03-07-2007, 16:22
19.00 per handgun!
How would you guys handle the ones I couldn't have there?
Why is the finish of the handgun important?
As an example, how about a S&W 640 in 38 spc but the list says 357 mag. Would my gun be OK even if its not exactly as the list says?
How do you guys do after market parts like barrels? What if I don't like magazine disconnect mechanisms or chamber load indicators.

HarlDane
03-13-2007, 13:58
Originally posted by SHEPHERD321
19.00 per handgun!
How would you guys handle the ones I couldn't have there?
Why is the finish of the handgun important?
As an example, how about a S&W 640 in 38 spc but the list says 357 mag. Would my gun be OK even if its not exactly as the list says?
How do you guys do after market parts like barrels? What if I don't like magazine disconnect mechanisms or chamber load indicators. Off list guns are only a problem if you want to buy a new one. If you already own one it can be sold/transfered with no problems, and if you want to bring off list guns into the state when you move here there is no problem (provided you pay the DoJ their fee and register the handgun). Also if you want to modify a gun after you buy it you are free to do so, even if it means the gun would no longer meet the specs to make it onto the approved list (provided your modification is legal under the AW ban, so taking out a magazine disconnect safety or chamber loaded indicator = legal but adding a threaded barrel = illegal).

SHEPHERD321
03-15-2007, 21:20
Thanks for the response. I'm going to have to sort through a couple dozen guns.

g5reality
03-22-2007, 19:56
You won't have any problem with the guns you mention, Glovks are OK so are shotguns. AK's and AR's are a problem however M1A's, SOCOM's and the like are OK so are Mini-14's and 30's. As far as CCW:

Carrying without a Permit/License
Date updated: Jul 29, 2005 @ 9:42 am

California law has a gray area, a de facto quasi-right-to-carry. The state law provides that carrying a concealed weapon (including a knife or blackjack) is a FELONY, however, a clear exception exists. If you are carrying a gun (not a knife!) AND it was legally purchased AND it is registered to you AND you are not a gang member (yes, there is a statutory definition of gang member) AND it is your first such arrest, then concealed carry is a misdemeanor. A typical fine is $200.

from www.packing.org

you may or may not want to take your chances. You can always do what I did...become a reserve police officer and not worry about it. Profesional courtesy.

HarlDane
03-23-2007, 16:53
Originally posted by g5reality
You won't have any problem with the guns you mention, Glovks are OK so are shotguns. AK's and AR's are a problem however M1A's, SOCOM's and the like are OK so are Mini-14's and 30's. As far as CCW:

Carrying without a Permit/License
Date updated: Jul 29, 2005 @ 9:42 am

California law has a gray area, a de facto quasi-right-to-carry. The state law provides that carrying a concealed weapon (including a knife or blackjack) is a FELONY, however, a clear exception exists. If you are carrying a gun (not a knife!) AND it was legally purchased AND it is registered to you AND you are not a gang member (yes, there is a statutory definition of gang member) AND it is your first such arrest, then concealed carry is a misdemeanor. A typical fine is $200.

from www.packing.org

you may or may not want to take your chances. You can always do what I did...become a reserve police officer and not worry about it. Profesional courtesy. Just to clarify on the Knives, you can carry a knife concealed provided its a folder. Fixed blades need to be open carried.