Deer Hunting Tips with G20 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hunting Tips with G20

tripton
01-24-2007, 21:25
So, I have successfully bagged a doe with my 20 before.

I know that this is not an uncommon thing, and I did it with it completely stock.

So what things can I do to make it a better deer hunting tool?(besides practice, I plan on doing as much of that as I can afford.)

I plan on getting a 6 inch barrel, not sure what brand yet, and better sights. What sights would be the best for hunting? I prefer something with a smaller dot, so I can shoot a bit better at distance.

I see a lot of scope mounts and scopes too, but I dont really like red dot scopes, so I would go with a traditional pistol scope.

Can anyone get me an idea of how accurate you can get this gun with a fairly decent shooter, a six inch barrel and some form of optics? OR, do you suggest like I stated earlier and just add some decent sights and use the scope money for practice.

Thanks

Desertscout
01-24-2007, 22:29
The 6" barrel for the 10mm is highly over-rated unless you can get a longer slide also. The velocity differences are pretty insignificant. I use a G20 for most all of my big game hunting and I have a stock-length 10/45 conversion barrel. I don't get the accuracy out of it that I would like but it's not too bad. It shoots about 4" at 50 yards. I think with somemore load development, that will improve.

Your best bet for hunting with the 10mm is to either reload for it or buy Double Tap ammo or something similar. Most standard 100 ammo that you buy off the shelf is not a hell of a lot faster than the .40 out of the same length barrel

Washington,D.C.
01-24-2007, 23:16
Some states have a minimum barrel length for handgun hunting. The standard G20 is often under the minimum.That is one reason for the 6 inch barrel in the 10mm G20 amd not in the other non hunting calibers.

Desertscout
01-24-2007, 23:31
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
Some states have a minimum barrel length for handgun hunting. The standard G20 is often under the minimum.That is one reason for the 6 inch barrel in the 10mm G20 amd not in the other non hunting calibers.
That is true. I hadn't thought about that, not being from one of those states.

tripton
01-24-2007, 23:41
Iowa minimum barrel length is 4 inches. Im ok there. I am surprised that there would be no difference in accuracy with an aftermarket barrel. Also surprised that the extra inch and a half wouldnt raise the FPS much.

Any suggestions on good hunting sights or optics?

Desertscout
01-24-2007, 23:49
I use the same sights that I use on all the rest of my Glocks, AmeriGlo Classics.

I didn't say I didn't get an improvement, it just wasn't what I had hoped.

I chronographed some loads out of three G20 barrels the other day just to see. Shooting the same load out of each barrel on the same frame, I got an average of 1043 fps out of a stock barrel, 1037 out of a 10mm/45 conversion barrel of the same length and 1063 out of a 6" "hunting" barrel. The difference was definitely not worth it to me.

tripton
01-25-2007, 00:04
I assume that those are just range loads? They seem rather slow and wimpy for anything that you would hunt with.

Wonder if the difference in velocity would change with higher velocity loads?

Desertscout
01-25-2007, 00:12
Yes, that was just factory FMJ's. I hunt with handloads that get nearly 1300 fps with 180 gr.(I think) Hornady XTP's. I've got some 200's loaded up so I'll go out to the range and clock 'em in the next week or so when I get time.

MIch_Packer
01-25-2007, 05:12
I've been working up the idea of a hunting G20 as well. I haven't purchased one yet. I reload .40S&W so I'm all set with dies and such and ammo is not a problem.

A carver mount to hold a red dot or 1.5x4 handgun scope, hunter version.

In Michigan we have to shoot .357 diameter or larger (might be .355) so the 10mm fits that. We can only have 9 rounds total in the gun so a plug needs to be made to limit the mag to 8 rounds. That was easy enough with a peice of wood moulding. It must be a straight walled cartridge so many rifle calibers can not be used in a TC Contender. Since I live and hunt in southern Michigan I can't hunt with a rifle.

Shooting my G21, G27 and G35 regularily makes me wonder if there is enough inherent accuracy in the handgun to begin with. With my Kimber I was able to clover leaf 5 rounds at 50 feet. I have never been able to do that with any of my Glocks.

Since I bow hunt as well and can easily hit the vitals of a whitetail at 40 yards with an arrow. I'm struggling to see what advantage I'll get to spending all that money on a combat pistol for hunting.

My dilema keeps turning me towards a S&W .500 Mag or .460 XVR for hunting hangdun purposes.

I wish there was some kind of gaurentee of 2 moa at 50 yards or something like that. Does anyone spec the group size for their after market barrel?

OK, I'm rambling a bit.

Desertscout
01-25-2007, 09:26
2 MOA at 50 yards is about 4". I haven't seen many Glocks that can't do that with most factory ammo IF you can do your part. I recently shot a 5-shot group at 100 yards with my G23 that measured 5.094". The sixth shot stretched it out to 9.875". Any of my Glocks will shoot under 3" at 25 yards with pretty much any factory load and most of them will shoot comfortably under 2" with my handloads and some factory loads. Each and every Glock that have will safely shoot inside the kill-zone of a deer, which is around 8", from a field position, easily out to 50 yards.

mpatch
01-25-2007, 10:24
Originally posted by Desertscout
2 MOA at 50 yards is about 4". I haven't seen many Glocks that can't do that with most factory ammo IF you can do your part. I recently shot a 5-shot group at 100 yards with my G23 that measured 5.094". The sixth shot stretched it out to 9.875". Any of my Glocks will shoot under 3" at 25 yards with pretty much any factory load and most of them will shoot comfortably under 2" with my handloads and some factory loads. Each and every Glock that have will safely shoot inside the kill-zone of a deer, which is around 8", from a field position, easily out to 50 yards.

Actually 2moa at 50 yds would be a 1 inch group. A 4 inch group at 50 would be 8 moa. Most defensive handguns shoot around 8 moa.

Desertscout
01-25-2007, 10:36
LOL! Yes, you're right. I got it backwards. I need to quit posting til I get my head together a little bit.