lets have a discussion about canned meats [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : lets have a discussion about canned meats

97guns
01-28-2007, 09:14
im not a big fan of devil ham or corned beef but am a huge proponent of spam and think vienna sausages are delectable delights as well. my family is from from hawaii and spam is huge with rice and fried eggs, the viennas go verry well with rice too. i also enjoy canned salmon, it totally tastes different than the fresh and i kinda like it better. we just pop the can open add some soy sauce, chopped up green onions, and smoking hot oil. it tastes awesome - with rice of course. there is another one that i saw on the food network. i think its from the east coast and am not sure if its canned meat or packaged meat, i cant think of the name of it right now but its kind of a catchy name and i wouldn't mind trying it. anyways theres probably more that ive never tried or CAN think of.

308endurdebate
01-28-2007, 09:24
Yum. I like pan fried spam. They need to have a Dr Seuss book on green eggs and spam :)

Viennas are fine standalone, haven't tried with rice. I like making tuna and chicken salad from canned meat. Haven't tried the canned shrimp yet and I don't really like the canned beef so much. I think the cuts they use for the beef are older tougher cuts.

major
01-28-2007, 21:27
What the heck is it with Hawaii and Spam? I understand that the people there are crazy about it.

tavo
01-29-2007, 05:36
Hawaii & Spam: AFAIK, WWII meat shortages and then tons of military surplus SPAM created a taste for it. Great shelf life helped.

I'm a canned fish guy from way back. Kippered herring, sardines, anchovies, smoked clams, tuna. Cheap, portable, protein.

Blitzer
01-29-2007, 05:44
Top Chefs TV reality show had their contestants use canned meats and foods to prepare a meal. One guy roasted Vienna sausages, interesting.

I used to heat Vienna sausages in boiling water before I opened the can, I would pour out a lot of liquid! The little guys would shrink to 2/3 their original size! Eww Uck!

When I eat that stuff I can hear my arteries hardening!

:ambulance: :grill: :puking::shocked:

Some of the canned meat is OK but it all has TOO MUCH SALT for this heart patient! :sad: :sad:

tat2guy
01-30-2007, 12:53
Originally posted by major
What the heck is it with Hawaii and Spam? I understand that the people there are crazy about it.

Hawaii is one of the most remote island groups on earth. Getting fresh produce out there is a chore. Canned meat lasts a good long time.

W Turner
01-30-2007, 14:45
Ummmm, Spam, Mango and Pineapple kabobs.....yummy...

Michael Dean
02-01-2007, 10:40
You guys are sick !!!! HA ;) ;)

I am one who gets nauseated at the mere mention of Spam. I had to eat a lot of it when a child growing up. I can't stand the thought of it now. I wouldn't even feed it to my dog now.

308endurdebate
02-01-2007, 18:18
Originally posted by Michael Dean
I can't stand the thought of it now. I wouldn't even feed it to my dog now.

More Spam for me :)

Walter45Auto
02-02-2007, 16:15
I like vienna sausages myself. I use spam as a treat for my dog while training in tracking.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

The Pontificator
02-04-2007, 07:47
Originally posted by tavo

I'm a canned fish guy from way back. Kippered herring, sardines, anchovies, smoked clams, tuna. Cheap, portable, protein. :thumbsup:

The Pontificator
02-04-2007, 15:55
I :hearts: anchovies. But they're another "moderation" food. High in cholesterol so I'v heard.

Walter45Auto
02-04-2007, 16:45
I love tuna.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

slicers63
02-04-2007, 17:17
There is a theory that the polynesia culture love spam beacause they were former cannnibals.

Michael Dean
02-06-2007, 09:27
:laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove:

Very good.

Blitzer
02-06-2007, 11:24
Originally posted by Michael Dean
You guys are sick !!!! HA ;) ;)

I am one who gets nauseated at the mere mention of Spam. I had to eat a lot of it when a child growing up. I can't stand the thought of it now. I wouldn't even feed it to my dog now.

Such inhuman treatment of your animal, you should be ashamed! :supergrin: :) :rofl: ;)

The Pontificator
02-06-2007, 19:53
Originally posted by The Pontificator
I :hearts: anchovies. But they're another "moderation" food. High in cholesterol so I'v heard.

Further investigation reveals that anchovies are only high in sodium and given they're used as a seasoning a fillet or two isn't going to matter.

tavo
02-07-2007, 15:49
Originally posted by The Pontificator
Further investigation reveals that anchovies are only high in sodium and given they're used as a seasoning a fillet or two isn't going to matter.

I'm tooling for some fresh anchovies. Can't wait to find some.

CaliTheKid
02-11-2007, 15:20
Corned beef hash with eggs is nice once in a while.

97guns
02-13-2007, 19:51
Originally posted by CaliTheKid
Corned beef hash with eggs is nice once in a while.

mmmmm yes, i forgot all about that. corned beef hash eggs and rice is my all time favorate breakfast. i havn't had it in years because i think its an artery clogger.