open range shooting (my glocks) in Nevada? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : open range shooting (my glocks) in Nevada?

9mmgeek
01-28-2007, 18:19
Couldn't figure out where to post this. So I'll start by saying that I am taking my Glocks on a business trip to Las Vegas. I found a steel match on Wednesday nights. I am also wondering if it is legal to just drive into a remote part of the desert and shoot.

Can any locals fill me in?

aomagrat
01-28-2007, 18:45
I'm no local, but I was stationed at NAS Fallon Nevada for three years. While there, we would take our guns out in the desert behind the Salt Wells Brothel where there was a tall ridge for a backstop and fired away. We could see the highway behind us from where we were shooting and no one ever bothered us.

NoGo
01-28-2007, 20:34
There was a thread about this exact issue, shooting out in the desert around Las Vegas, a while ago. Well worth a search. There were several pages of fact and opinion, but IIRC, you can't go "out in the desert" in Clark County and blast away.

pballjunkie666
01-30-2007, 03:58
heres a linky to illegal firearm discharge

map..linky (http://gisgate.co.clark.nv.us/gisplot_pdfs/cp/illegalfirearms.pdf)

just try and stay away from major roads at least for a mile or further..

jon..:)

loboman
01-30-2007, 10:16
Stay off private property. Make sure you have a good backstop. Do not go on Posted property. Watch out for roads, cattle, etc. & have a great time.

tstrenuous10
01-31-2007, 00:06
I believe the legal requirement, beyond common SAFE gun shooting/practic is 1 mile from any road and obviously don't shoot towards anything that is unsafe or questionable

loboman
01-31-2007, 08:15
The one mile from a road is not a legal requirement that I am aware of. You could be righ and I will check with the local game warden and sheriffs office.

9mmgeek
01-31-2007, 21:25
Thanks for the responses. I'm packing my gear. I use to live in the desert in California and really miss the ability to go out and shoot freely. I know California has changed a lot. I wasn't sure what it is like in Nevada. I was surprised when I saw that they don't honor any other states CHLs.

I am in Dallas now and can't find anywhere other than matches where I can draw and shoot rapid fire. Looking forward to some practice.

tstrenuous10
02-01-2007, 09:16
You could also stop by one of the NUMEROUS gun places to shoot or poke around and buy something or just ask "I'm from out of town, are we allowed to go shooting in the open?"