Book review: ''Thank God I had a Gun'' [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Book review: ''Thank God I had a Gun''

KnightOfTheOlde
01-30-2007, 08:21
Book review: ''Thank God I had a Gun''

By Jim Irvine

Self defense stories are as unique as the individuals involved. I have read hundreds of such stories and talked personally with many individuals involved in life and death struggles. Most get no media coverage, and the ones that do get covered are generally given only a couple paragraphs that invoke questions, provide few answers and often contain errors caused by the authors ignorance of the subject. The result is that most find it "unbelievable" that such encounters occur 2,500,000 times per year in our country.

In Chris Bird's latest book, "Thank God I had a Gun", he examines 14 encounters. The stories each share the theme that the intended victim has a gun, but the settings, the actions taken by the criminals and the intended victims as well as the attitude of the police are very different. Some things are beyond our control, and it's useful to learn from the experience of others.

From home invasions to armed robberies of businesses to road rage, Bird covers a wide variety of situations. In some law enforcement lauds the actions of the armed civilian, and in another charges the victim with a crime. Included in this book is the story of Habib Howard in his family's Toledo carryout, the Indiana Pizza Hut delivery man who was fired for defending his life with a gun, and a "Gun totin' Granny" who became a media darling appearing on Good Morning American and Sean Hannity's radio show.

for the full review please visit

http://buckeyefirearms.org/article3516.html

anyplainjoe
01-30-2007, 08:34
Thanks for the review-that's a book I want to read.

BTW, great quote, but "there" in the first use should be changed to "their".