Any members of Shooters Express? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any members of Shooters Express?

viffer1
01-30-2007, 20:00
I am approaching the end of my membership at Shooters Express and took a look at my renewal options last time I was in there. For $250 they offer a "premium" membership that give you a discount on firearms purchased from them. They say they charge you Cost + 10%. Does anyone else have this? I was wondering if this was a good deal as I will probably buy 1-2 guns this year. Would this be better than gunshow prices?

Thanks,
Jeff

Rob1035
01-31-2007, 16:37
I've wondered myself if their membership is worth it. They're definitely priced on the high end of the scale, I guess to encourage membership or something.

13bullets
01-31-2007, 16:42
I definately do NOT believe their cost + 10% would beat gunshow prices. I am a member there but did not buy the premium membership. Still, I have bought two glocks there, one on sale for 499, the other I had price matched from The Carolina Hunter ( who I DO NOT recommend) for 509.

13bullets
01-31-2007, 16:43
However the membership will still pay for itself just from range fees if you go once or twice a month.

obxemt
02-01-2007, 16:49
I don't mean to sound so negative, but its just a gimmick. I think their range prices have gone rediculous - used to not be that bad when I was a member in 2004. They also had more options then that made more sense (like 60- and 90-days, IIRC). At $15 an hour and one visit per month ($180), heck no $250 isn't worth it. Who cares if you get free gun rentals? I don't want to shoot their guns, I want to shoot mine. :)

For buying guns, if you act like you know what you're talking about and deal with Terry or Bill (not that idiot moron they hired last year) they'll treat you decently and you'll pay closer to average retail instead of their considerable markup. Dean (in my experience) will either knock $50 or less off, or have a "take it or leave it price" attitude. $499 for Glocks is pretty good; $90 for added night sights, not so much...but stickering Sigs and HKs at $1k is terrible.

As far as cost plus +10%, they're getting their money either way and I'm guessing you'd have to buy alot more than two guns a year (and visit the range constantly) to make it worth your while.

:soap:

jlpayne86
02-01-2007, 17:01
How about joing an outdoor range like mecklenburg wildlife for 250.00 dollars a year, way more times when can be used plus you get indoor/outdoor archery range and 200 yd rifle range. Cant beat it out there!
Plus my experience with shooters and im curious to hear others is that they are kinda shady...or at least what ever they think to make a sale!! I am not impressed with them at all.
Jason

13bullets
02-01-2007, 21:11
Anthony, I believe is the one they hired last year. Younger dude with black hair, and he is definately not the most personable salesman ever. I try to deal will Bill or Dean.

Has anyone gone to Gastonia gun and police supply on franklin? That guy has a seroius hard-on concerning non-cops in his store. He obvoiusly didn't want to be bothered by the average joe customer.

Where is Meck. Wildlife?

obxemt
02-02-2007, 07:11
Not only is he not personable, but he's not knowledgeable and he'll argue about things he is clearly wrong about - like saying that 1911s are not and have never been manufactured in any caliber other than .45, then tossing a double-telephone-book-sized catalong on the counter and saying "SHOW ME". Whatever, jackass. In all fairness he seems to have softened up a little, but it also seems like more of an act. Bill and Terry just seem like good ol' boys doing a job.

I have been in the Gastonia place a couple times since they opened, most recently last week. The guy wasn't unfriendly, but I'll admit that his demeanor changed when he found out I'm a cop. He even followed me into the other side of the store, I felt like he thought I was going to pocket some ammo or something.

They don't have that much selection. There was a second generation G23C and a like new Glock 22 that were nice and the price was decent, nothing else caught my eye. Looked like some nice ARs but I didn't check make or pricing. I'll probably pick up some carry ammo there.

jlpayne86
02-02-2007, 10:19
MEcklenburg wildlife is off of sam wilson rd, Right off of the 85. check it out its a great place.
jason

13bullets
02-02-2007, 12:44
I believe I will, that's not far from the house either. It'll sure be nice to have a rifle range longer than Shooters indoor 25 yards.
Do you HAVE to fork out 250 for a year? Do they have a 30, 60, or 90 day membership?

jlpayne86
02-03-2007, 11:51
NO its 250.00 fpor the year only way to pay is yearly.

edrobert
02-03-2007, 21:19
Yeah, I wanna look into that myself. Be sure to give me a buzz next time you head out there jlpayne.

RoyRNC
02-14-2007, 17:56
Does anyone know the if they have any cometitions, etc.. at Mecklenburg Wildlife? Or perhaps a contact phone number? I could not find anything on th web.

viffer1
02-17-2007, 19:39
I shot a NRA service rifle match at Meck. Wildlife a few years ago. I took the advice to swing by there and check them out last weekend and it was dead. Not a soul to be found and the gate was closed and locked. Does anyone know what is going on? Do they have certain hours or days that they are open? I was there mid-day on Saturday.

USMC Ryfleman
02-17-2007, 20:31
+1 on Bill and Terry! Super guys. I personally think Dean may have a little sugar in his tank if u know what I mean. I mainly do business with Firepower, super knowledgeble, and great prices.

obxemt
02-17-2007, 21:04
Originally posted by usmcGlock0311
I personally think Dean may have a little sugar in his tank if u know what I mean.

Ha. No way, are you serious? Isn't he married to the woman who runs the range?

USMC Ryfleman
02-18-2007, 12:33
Listen to the way he talks and walks. Remember, Elton John was married at one time......to a WOMAN!

obxemt
02-18-2007, 12:40
Ha, you're killing me. I can't listen to how he talks because I can't get past the fact that he's usually telling me how he wants $990 (plus tax) for a Sig!

USMC Ryfleman
02-18-2007, 16:23
Yeah, rediculous prices on most things, hell, I like it how they say they are competetive on prices, BS! I have quoted firepowers prices and they just laugh it off. I go to Hyatts and quote Firepowers prices and they sell it to me for 5 - 10 dollars less.

obxemt
02-18-2007, 17:06
Shooters' Glock prices are ok, that's about it...though Terry has hooked me up a couple times on other stuff.

I used to be hard on Hyatt's, but they're not all that bad. You just have to let them know you're not an idiot. I just don't like it when places jack up firearms prices so obviously high and people new to guns think they're getting a real deal by paying $700 for a Glock.

I've got some tax money burning a hole in my pocket. Are you telling my I need to go visit Firepower?

USMC Ryfleman
02-18-2007, 17:37
I would, awesome prices and knowledgeable staff that are not on commission, so they couldnt give two squirts of warm piss if you buy anything or not.

13bullets
03-02-2007, 20:30
Fill me in on Firepower. Where is it?

And USMCGlock, any news on the place in linconton?

Rob1035
03-03-2007, 06:46
I used to really like firepower, but I'm not a huge fan any more. I only shoot there occasionally. I just heard to much typical gun counter BS from the employees to new shooters.

They are expanding their range, which is a great thing!

Its on Industrial Drive, off monroe road just before Matthews Township parkway. I've never been impressed by their prices on new stuff, although I guess anything is a deal compared to Hyatts or SHooters.

obxemt
03-03-2007, 08:06
Rob, I hate haggling but I've gotten good deals at both places after much haggling (oh no, I'm defending these places!). I bought a P228 CPO from Shooters yesterday and almost picked up a P245 from Hyatts.

After yesterday's experience, it solidifies my previous thoughts...I'm only dealing with Terry at Shooters from now on.

I haven't been to Firepower in two years. The traffic and the drive from Belmont isn't worth it for me. Plus, my Italian routes cause me to wave my hands and scream and cuss at ignorant self-absorbed Charlotte drivers. :supergrin:

Rob1035
03-03-2007, 12:49
fair enough. I rarely buy new guns, so that has a lot to do with it, I'm just going on whats written on their tags. I'll just bring you as my "agent" next time I go shopping:supergrin: I too hate negotiating, and all too often, I get "gun shop red mist" and will do anything to take something home with me...

I shot at Firepower this morning, its a hike from me near uptown, but they are expanding the range it seems, could be good. Now if they'll stop telling me WWB will blow up my Glocks and all Berettas disfigure their owners....:rofl:

obxemt
03-03-2007, 13:59

edrobert
03-03-2007, 14:44
As to prices, I still say folks should shop or trade online and have your transfer done at Mooresville Pawn & Jewelry. They lady there does them for $10...EVERY time! I've had 7 transfers down with her over the past 60 days and it's never a hassle. Some may feel the drive is a bit much, but I don't see 20-30 mintes as to far considering the $ saved.

Rob1035
03-03-2007, 14:55
Yup, I use the Gunslinger, $10/per transfer, and a great guy to boot. Worth the drive and hassle.

RoyRNC
03-03-2007, 16:01
Originally posted by Rob1035
Yup, I use the Gunslinger, $10/per transfer, and a great guy to boot. Worth the drive and hassle.

Isn't he the guy in Mint Hill? Do you have his contact info?

spoonhatchcrap
03-12-2007, 15:06
ooh ooh i live in mint hill...rob are you coming to the arfcom shoot on sun?

RoyRNC
03-12-2007, 17:53
Just curious what is the arfcom shoot?

spoonhatchcrap
03-13-2007, 11:28
spring arfcom shoot at uhwarrie.

Rob1035
03-13-2007, 17:05
yeah i'm camping saturday night

sifu128
03-14-2007, 13:55
I go to shooters all the time to shoot. I myself got the 199 memebership and for the last 3 months been there 2 times per week for about 1 hr with my wife (so it is paying for it's self). I would definatly say +1 on Terry as he was the most helpful, Dean hasnt been that bad either and I got two free boxes of ammo when I got my glock.

As for the Mecklenburg Wildlife I called the guy over there because I would love to shoot outdoors and possibly do some metal standing silloutes, however they havent called back. The guys in Waxhaw want you to cut off a nut to get in and it could take about 1 year. Forget even trying if you dont have your ccw or if you are waiting on it.

RoyRNC
03-14-2007, 17:44
Originally posted by sifu128
As for the Mecklenburg Wildlife I called the guy over there because I would love to shoot outdoors and possibly do some metal standing silloutes, however they havent called back. The guys in Waxhaw want you to cut off a nut to get in and it could take about 1 year. Forget even trying if you dont have your ccw or if you are waiting on it.

I've been waiting to see what the outcome is for Meck Wildlife. I too want to see about setting up some steel for practice. I am pretty bored of punching holes through paper and I would like to get some training in for IDPA and IPSC. Can you pass along the number you called? I would also like to give them a call and perhaps together we can get some answers.

I looked at CR&PC and you are right about having to jump through hoops. Plus they require you become an NRA member. That should make no difference whether or not I would be a good member to their club?

Cannibal Roses
03-14-2007, 18:31
I shoot at Shooters. I'm currently debating on whether to buy the monthly membership for $40 or the yearly for $199. Since it is just minutes from my home, I'll go there all the time whether or not it's the best place in the world. I shoot at least 3 times a week and I'm not driving a big distance to get to my range.

Plus, I love Diane (the range manager.) She made me feel very comfortable there when I first started shooting (not long ago) and didn't treat me like a "stupid girl."

I was happy with Shooters' Glock prices, especially after checking prices at other places. Shooters seems to be cheaper than Hyatt to me....at least they were on the guns I was considering. I didn't like the way Hyatt had a million salesman all attacking you like Army Ants, either. And....Terry was cool. I've already discovered that a few guys are real jerks when it comes to girls with guns. The guy who looks like Lurch behind the counter stared at me like I had a third eye and walked off when I approached him. Ick.

Question: Can anyone offer advice about where the best place is to take my CCW class?? The guy at Hyatt said that Raford at shooters was a monster, especially to women. But (of course) they were trying to sign me up at their place, and theirs was $50 more expensive. I'm not scared of Raford, even if he's pissy I'll just ignore it...I just want to make sure I get an excellent teacher.

Thanks!!!

13bullets
03-14-2007, 18:49
Offshoot Academy
Dean Hufstickler
$50, Gastonia

PM me for phone number if interested. He's a retired police officer and teaches the class (including shooting) at his home. :thumbsup:

spoonhatchcrap
03-14-2007, 19:27
Originally posted by Cannibal Roses
I shoot at Shooters. I'm currently debating on whether to buy the monthly membership for $40 or the yearly for $199. Since it is just minutes from my home, I'll go there all the time whether or not it's the best place in the world. I shoot at least 3 times a week and I'm not driving a big distance to get to my range.

Plus, I love Diane (the range manager.) She made me feel very comfortable there when I first started shooting (not long ago) and didn't treat me like a "stupid girl."

I was happy with Shooters' Glock prices, especially after checking prices at other places. Shooters seems to be cheaper than Hyatt to me....at least they were on the guns I was considering. I didn't like the way Hyatt had a million salesman all attacking you like Army Ants, either. And....Terry was cool. I've already discovered that a few guys are real jerks when it comes to girls with guns. The guy who looks like Lurch behind the counter stared at me like I had a third eye and walked off when I approached him. Ick.

Question: Can anyone offer advice about where the best place is to take my CCW class?? The guy at Hyatt said that Raford at shooters was a monster, especially to women. But (of course) they were trying to sign me up at their place, and theirs was $50 more expensive. I'm not scared of Raford, even if he's pissy I'll just ignore it...I just want to make sure I get an excellent teacher.

Thanks!!!

raiford is a nice guy. he treated all the women in my class very well. he jokes around alot and will shoot the breeze with you too. i took my class in nov 06. i would take the class at shooters. everyone else wants a arm and a leg these days for the class it seems.

Cannibal Roses
03-14-2007, 19:41
I kinda thought that the Hyatt guys were just bashing Raiford and trying to get me into "their" class. I didn't get a good feeling from that place at all, actually. I have seen Raiford around Shooters and he seemed okay. Just a little gruff (like his dad.)

Also, I PM'd you, 13 Guns.
I'm interested in talking to the fellow you mentioned, too, to find out when he'll be having another class.

Thanks, guys.
I'm excited about taking the class.
I've fallen in love with shooting.....

13bullets
03-14-2007, 20:26
:50cal: :hearts: :woohoo: :rock: and a dancing naner for the love of shooting :dancingbanana:

BigWaylon
03-14-2007, 20:41
Originally posted by Cannibal Roses
Also, I PM'd you, 13 Guns.
I'm interested in talking to the fellow you mentioned, too, to find out when he'll be having another class.

Thanks, guys.
I'm excited about taking the class.
I've fallen in love with shooting.....

just so we don't all call him, can you either post up when his next class is? or PM me if you get the info?

I swung by Hyatt's yesterday...and they want $150 for CCW class...

$50 sounds MUCH better...:)

Hyatt's also had their Glocks on sale for $599...Shooter's has them on the shelf for $499...but I'm working on a deal for $398 right now ;)

Greg

sifu128
03-14-2007, 20:44
Hyatt is way over priced and to be honest I never liked any of the guys in there. I think ever place has their issues, however I will stick with shooters. As far as the ccw class goes up at shooters the next one is April 7th (I believe) and I loved it when I went there.

I would suggest anyone to take the class there, and btw its only a class :)

obxemt
03-15-2007, 06:58
I don't really care for Hyatt's either, however I've gotten some really good deals there. Don't set foot in that store unless your prepared for some major haggling and are ready to stand your ground!

sifu128
03-15-2007, 07:28
I am from New York so I think I can do that :)

Kurly
03-15-2007, 08:34
While I took my CCW class at BulletHole in Monroe and was pleased with their instruction, I would have no problem recommending Raiford. He's a great guy and I've observed him instructing women on several different occasions -- all of which have been very positive from what I've seen. He's also provided a couple of free pointers as well as some free springs to try out. Very personable, patient and knowledgeable.

obxemt
03-15-2007, 10:45
I am from New York so I think I can do that :)

I was born in NJ, maybe that's why it isn't difficult for me either!

Kurly
03-15-2007, 16:03
Just spent another couple of hours at Shooters today and had fun, but was curious as to what you'll do to keep the joy and excitement alive. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy shooting paper targets, but after putting about 5,000 rounds downrange, I'm eager to find something a bit more challenging and interesting.

I understand they have a bowling pin night at Shooters which I'm going to look into, but is there anything else? I'd love to find a place to shoot steel targets outdoors but I'm not interested in joining Charlotte Gun and Rifle club in Waxhaw. They seem a bit too elitist for my tastes and their membership requirements are too onerous.

obxemt
03-15-2007, 18:19
You could always climb the clock tower. Of course then people just run. If you really want challenge, try Iraq!

sifu128
03-15-2007, 20:51
I am in the same boat as you Kurly, but shooters only has the bowling pins :(

RoyRNC
03-16-2007, 11:25
The bowling pins are fun. I think the range is Monroe (The Bullet Hole) is starting back up as well with bowling pins.

Shooter Express should have their indoor GSSF match series coming up soon and the Bullet Hole runs two a year.

IDPA matches are held in Wilkesboro and Boone once a month. I was thinking of going to the one in Boone this weekend. I also know that once a month somewhere in Salisbury there is a steel shoot match. I beleive it is the last Saturday of the month. Maybe someone else here knows what I am talking about and can fill in the details on that one?

Kurly
03-16-2007, 11:48
Hey Roy,

You were going to e-mail/PM a list of events that you had but never rec'd it or perhaps it bounced. Do you have this that you could share with folks living in and around the Charlotte area?

Kurly
03-19-2007, 17:02
FYI - Just called Shooters Express and the pistol range is closed for the next week (just my luck as my membership runs out in a 1 1/2 weeks! :upeyes: ). Was wondering if anyone has heard back from Charlotte Wildlife Club --called the number last week and left a message but haven't heard anything back yet. I'd really like to explore my options other than Shooters (Bullet Hole would be a trek and don't care much for the folks at the one off Monroe (Firing Line?). I'm not planning on staying here in Charlotte for much longer (gots to get out of this county as the taxes and our elected officials go against any sane person's priorities) and so don't want to re-up my membership for a whole year.

BTW, whatever happened to Shooter Express' policy about renewing at the same rate you had from before? For some reason I recall them saying that when I joined under their 6 month plan....

sifu128
03-19-2007, 19:10
I left a message for the guy Bob at the Charlotte Wildlife Club and he left me a message (we are playing phone tag). As soon as I have some information I will let everybody know.

Dave

lunarspeak
03-19-2007, 21:33
i like shooters, bill,dean,and terry are great guys. now anthony is another story.ive never hated someone as much as i do him. he acts like a know it all and like everyone else has never even touched a gun.and if its not a glock then its not worthy to be bought in his eyes...heis the main reason i dont buy alot of things there

RoyRNC
03-24-2007, 16:32
Originally posted by Kurly
Hey Roy,

You were going to e-mail/PM a list of events that you had but never rec'd it or perhaps it bounced. Do you have this that you could share with folks living in and around the Charlotte area?

Sorry about that. I lost the spreadsheet on my computer, but I printed it once and just found it. Basically this is what I know. You may want to verify some of these just in case.

First Sat - IDPA - Wilkesboro, NC http://www.foothillsidpa.com/
First Sat - All Metal Shoot at PHA in Churchland, NC http://www.phashoots.com/
First Sun - N/A
Second Sat - USPSA Salisbury, NC Rowan County Wildlife Assoc of NC http://www.rcwanc.com/
Second Sat - Indoor IDPA Rockhill, SC http://www.ccshootingclub.net/
Second Sun - GSSF/1911 Fun shoot Statesville FOP (not sure if still active)
Third Sat - IDPA Boone, NC http://www.wgc-idpa.org/
Third Sun - USPSA Statesville, NC FOP range (not sure if still active)
Fourth Sat - N/A
Fourth Sun - N/A

Last Thursday evening of the month - Bowling Pin Shoot at Shooters Express in Belmont, NC http://www.shootersexpress.com/bowlingpin.html

If your interested in the drive to Greenville, SC they have an IDPA match on the 2nd Sat of each month http://www.greenvillegunclub.com/pistol_IDPA_index.html

Spartenburg, SC has one on the third Sat of each month http://shootspsa.org/

Finally here is a link to more info, just in case I missed something above. http://www.ncsection.org/

ahiredgun
03-25-2007, 17:25
Just a little info. The owner of the Bullet Hole in Monroe died earlier this year. Rumor has it that the owner of Fire Power in Matthews will be leasing the building after March 31.

sifu128
03-26-2007, 05:41
Does this mean that firepower will cease to exist soon??

RoyRNC
03-26-2007, 13:08
Does this mean that firepower will cease to exist soon??

I can't imagine that would be the case. They are adding 6 new bays to their current location. perhaps the owner of Fire Power is just branching out. The folks at the Bullet Hole keep telling me that their doors will stay open.

sifu128
03-26-2007, 13:11
Lets just hope. I like to go over there for a change when I need to get away from shooters :)

ahiredgun
03-26-2007, 17:34
From what I've heard, Premeir will continue to lease the classrooms for at least the next year. But as far as how the range will be run or what the fees will be is anybody's guess right now.I would guess that Firepower will use the retail space since Mark let that part of the building go.

Kurly
03-29-2007, 17:46
Has anyone heard back from Charlotte Wildlife Club? I've called twice and still no response yet. My membership has expired at Shooters and not interested in renewing at $200/year.

IMO, that's just WAY too much to be able to shoot only on the weekends and then have to wait 30 mins or longer before a lane opens up. Just wish they'd offer more enrollment options like they did last year...

Kurly
04-01-2007, 11:42
Originally posted by Kurly
Has anyone heard back from Charlotte Wildlife Club? I've called twice and still no response yet. My membership has expired at Shooters and not interested in renewing at $200/year.

IMO, that's just WAY too much to be able to shoot only on the weekends and then have to wait 30 mins or longer before a lane opens up. Just wish they'd offer more enrollment options like they did last year...

BTT

BigWaylon
05-02-2007, 21:27

got any contact info?

Greg

jim2037
05-03-2007, 08:22
Originally posted by ahiredgun
Just a little info. The owner of the Bullet Hole in Monroe died earlier this year. Rumor has it that the owner of Fire Power in Matthews will be leasing the building after March 31.

Who died? I used to work with Mark and Lynn both several years ago. I had not heard either one had died. Please PM me with who and when.

Jim

BigWaylon
06-06-2007, 21:34
Originally posted by BigWaylon

got any contact info?

Greg

still looking for this info...

anybody know how to get in touch with the Gunslinger?

Thanks.
Greg