OT: Compact Digicams [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OT: Compact Digicams

akula
01-30-2007, 20:57
I'm been planning to replace our old Sony Cybershot DSC-P72.
I'm a mere mortal compared with the gods, such as McO, ppts, foxxxy, etal.

MP is not as critical as image quality, including low light and macro shots. Ano bang minimum MP, 6 or 7.1 na yata?

I've been reading about Canon Powershot S3 IS and Powershot SD800IS/ixus850is... and is very interest on their image stabilization mode, as well as their fast 'capture'. My problem my P72, is that hinde pweding pang-sports, because it's very slow. S3 seemed to be bigger compared with SD800, but has 12x zoom.

Which compacts would you recommend?

mc_oliver
01-30-2007, 21:39
Not sure how much but this one seems to get favorable reviews from end users:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf30/

If I was in the market for compacts again, I'd take a serious look at this one first before re-considering the S3IS. ;)

foxyyy
01-30-2007, 22:29
Image Stabilization (canon) or Vibration Reduction (nikon) are almost useless in sports. Your subjects must be stationary so that you can take full use of the said technologies.

If you really like the bulky canon S3 IS, why not get a low-end digital slr? Much better since the image sensor is bigger = better clean images (specially in low-light).

For compacts, 6mp is good enough. Higher than that and you are cramming a lot of pixels in its tiny image sensor. I usually find olympus much better in image quality.

Read up on dpreview.com..lots of useful reviews to help you in your buying decision.

BUT, if you want to get sport shots like this:

http://www.fotoprism.com/gallery/63/41/chick.jpg

get a NIKON, no other else!!! :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

krinkov
01-31-2007, 09:21
If you're looking for a digicam that's capable of shooting fast enough, sorry to say that there are no compacts suitable for the purpose. Better to get "prosumer" DSLRs like a Canon 300D or a Nikon D200. Sports photography still remains a domain of the pro-DSLR with the $8000 and up price tags. you have to remember that all digicams need to capture an image with its processor first before the actual shot is taken which takes a few milliseconds. Compacts are a little slower than that (sometimes a good 2-seconds!!)as focus and exposure need to be calculated by the on-board chips. by the time the actual shutter is released, a blurred image is all that's captured. MP should be less of a consideration as the higher the MP, the larger memory card you have to get. And if you don't intend to print billboard sized photos, there's simply no point in going overboard on MPs.

DA_NINJA
01-31-2007, 13:18
NIKON!!!
NUFF SAID

TOWER (http://www.pbase.com/wilson1965/image/19561799)

bikethief
01-31-2007, 18:16
Canon G7. Bang for your buck. 27k lang, 10 MP na and very robust yung body. I use it as a very competent back up to my 20D.

itosh
02-01-2007, 07:54
mga boss ano po magandang bilhin na digital camera if nagsstart pa lang sa photography...medyo nalilibang lang...walang trigger to pull ngayon eh, shutter to push lang...hehehe

ung sa nikon po ano po ung suitable for beginners like me and budget wise...

SLR cameras need to have lenses pa dba bago magamit?
and flash and everything etc etc

akula
02-01-2007, 15:38
Originally posted by krinkov
If you're looking for a digicam that's capable of shooting fast enough, sorry to say that there are no compacts suitable for the purpose. Better to get "prosumer" DSLRs like a Canon 300D or a Nikon D200. Sports photography still remains a domain of the pro-DSLR with the $8000 and up price tags. you have to remember that all digicams need to capture an image with its processor first before the actual shot is taken which takes a few milliseconds. Compacts are a little slower than that (sometimes a good 2-seconds!!)as focus and exposure need to be calculated by the on-board chips. by the time the actual shutter is released, a blurred image is all that's captured. MP should be less of a consideration as the higher the MP, the larger memory card you have to get. And if you don't intend to print billboard sized photos, there's simply no point in going overboard on MPs. I've been browsing dpreview and I've been more confused :upeyes: now more than before. Too many choices and too many information. I think I have to scale down my requirements. Don't really need a fast 'sports', but just family games such as taking pix when your kid is riding a bike or a merry-go-around. Right now, when I take the pix, it's the next kid that I get. Tuloy duda si misis baka yung chick sa kabila ang talagang pino-focus :supergrin:. Parang nag-engage tayo ng running man... Yung low light sana para sa mga school events na medyo naka-patay yung ilaw... :)

Guys, can you recommend which features should I need to compare when reading those reviews -- better yet with accompanying recommeded Brand/Models (na available locally) :thumbsup:

Vault Keeper
02-01-2007, 18:45
http://www.fotoprism.com/gallery/63/41/chick.jpg

get a NIKON, no other else!!! :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin: [/B][/QUOTE]

Sabi ko na nga eh! Nikon is the best...! Oks ba kuya Pio?:thumbsup:

For those wanting to get into photography, get in touch with sir ppts799, you'll get a good advise, and tour sa Hidalgo....
:thumbsup:

krinkov
02-02-2007, 06:16
Originally posted by akula
I've been browsing dpreview and I've been more confused :upeyes: now more than before. Too many choices and too many information. I think I have to scale down my requirements. Don't really need a fast 'sports', but just family games such as taking pix when your kid is riding a bike or a merry-go-around. Right now, when I take the pix, it's the next kid that I get. Tuloy duda si misis baka yung chick sa kabila ang talagang pino-focus :supergrin:. Parang nag-engage tayo ng running man... Yung low light sana para sa mga school events na medyo naka-patay yung ilaw... :)

Guys, can you recommend which features should I need to compare when reading those reviews -- better yet with accompanying recommeded Brand/Models (na available locally) :thumbsup:

Sorry to confuse you, bro. What you need is Manual Focusing or a manual "override" like those found in Canon EF lenses or Nikon lenses. This allows you to "lock" focus on a subject that you intend to shoot and blurs everything else. This is what we call the Hyperfocal Distance technique which requires a pre-selected focus point where you anticipate your subject will be. This also requires that you turn your AF mode OFF. Some prime lenses on SLRs will indicate suitable shooting distances but most zoom lenses today do not even indicate how far your subject is. Sounds complicated but it's really easy pag sanay ka na. This is the same technique sports fotogs use during events like the PBA and this was the same technique I used when I was still a freelancer during events.

Reviews will only take you so far. Sometimes budget becomes paramount and you will have to stick it out with what you have. Bili ka na lang ng disenteng DSLR(which have the Focus Ring on the lenses)and get in touch with me 0917-9476255 if you need lessons. Check out the link on my signature. You'd be surprised kung anong camera ginamit ko sa mga shots!

foxyyy
02-02-2007, 10:49
Originally posted by krinkov
Sorry to confuse you, bro. What you need is Manual Focusing or a manual "override" like those found in Canon EF lenses or Nikon lenses. This allows you to "lock" focus on a subject that you intend to shoot and blurs everything else. This is what we call the Hyperfocal Distance technique which requires a pre-selected focus point where you anticipate your subject will be. This also requires that you turn your AF mode OFF.

HUH??? DI KO GETS???

Alexii
02-02-2007, 21:09
Originally posted by bikethief
Canon G7. Bang for your buck. 27k lang, 10 MP na and very robust yung body. I use it as a very competent back up to my 20D.

I've been eyeing this Canon G7 too; it does look sturdy and I like the retro styling. With hotshoe and IS to boot.