Armed criminals attack churchgoers during services [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Armed criminals attack churchgoers during services

KnightOfTheOlde
01-31-2007, 00:09
The Columbus Dispatch reported this week that two criminals brought a pistol into a church and began robbing churchgoers during Mass.

Due to a state law which prohibits firearms in places of worship, all the victims were unarmed. Thankfully, however, that did not transform at least five of the churchgoers into a victim mindset.

From the story:
Five men old enough to qualify for senior-citizen discounts foiled an armed robber and his accomplice yesterday during the 8 a.m. Mass at Christ the King Church on E. Livingston Avenue.

One churchgoer ended up at Grant Medical Center after being pistolwhipped in the back of the church while services for about 150 went on uninterrupted on the altar.

"Our parishioners are not about to let anyone defile their church," said the Rev. Michael Lumpe, Christ the King pastor. "Kudos to those who didnít just sit and let it happen."

For the full story please visit.

http://buckeyefirearms.org/article3522.html

firedog978
01-31-2007, 08:16
Excellent article Knight. It shows very well the lengths criminals are willing to go to, for what they percieve as easy marks. Proof again that laws only work (mean something) for the law-abiding.
Places of worship need to be treated by all of us the same as businesses that post.

Setzer77
02-14-2007, 01:49
My question becomes this: the concealed carry pamphlet we're all familiar with says not to carry in a place of worship except when approved by the minister or w/e. What happens if in this case someone had carried, shot and killed the robbers, but w/o church approval. Does this go down as a felony like carrying in a police station, or is this a trespassing type thing like normal businesses that post signs?

AR15Armory JAY
02-18-2007, 13:02
I'm betting "The Big Guy Upstairs" gives them a "Do not pass go, Do not collect $200, Go directly to hell" card for that little stunt.

Jay

geekboy
02-18-2007, 13:15
Originally posted by Setzer77
My question becomes this: the concealed carry pamphlet we're all familiar with says not to carry in a place of worship except when approved by the minister or w/e. What happens if in this case someone had carried, shot and killed the robbers, but w/o church approval. Does this go down as a felony like carrying in a police station, or is this a trespassing type thing like normal businesses that post signs? Depends on your statute. In Florida, as an example, violating the "off limits" provisions is a criminal violation and a 2nd degree misdemeanor (up to 60 days in jail, or $500 fine, or both). I would think that the District Attorney may take several things into consideration. The DA may not pursue the charge in good will. But if you have one of those "anti-gun" DAs, they'll through the book at the person.

I don't think this is a felony trespsassing, because the church would need to press that charge. Again, if Florida there's a specific charge for this with a specific criminal penalty classified as a misdemeanor.

Luckily for me, I live in a State where churches are not off limits. Besides, my brother is the pastor... so... :)

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! ;)

Setzer77
02-18-2007, 14:09
Hah, those holiday inns keep you informed... I'm not a churchgoer myself, but I have gone with my family on occasions. Though it's always wound up being in Indiana...I could check their laws.