Special Ops [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Special Ops

DSM1290
02-01-2007, 21:42
Ok so how insanely hard is BUDs and all the other training? I'm just curious, I don't know if i could do it but am curious. I want to go into the navy as an office but i can't really go into Navy law enforcement as an offices. So i thought that would be similar.

dbolden
02-07-2007, 21:31
They are night and day different.

DHansen
02-16-2007, 18:39
Yes, it is hard. You'll be able to find entrance requirements for BUD/S all over the internet. Don't even think about applying unless you can blow those way.

spilfdotcom9021
02-17-2007, 19:32
Originally posted by DSM1290
Ok so how insanely hard is BUDs and all the other training? I'm just curious, I don't know if i could do it but am curious. I want to go into the navy as an office but i can't really go into Navy law enforcement as an offices. So i thought that would be similar. You have the qualifications to become a fine "offices" - go for it!

VAshooter
03-02-2007, 13:48
It helps to be in good shape but how bad you want it is way more important.

desertram800
03-06-2007, 02:17
Originally posted by spilfdotcom9021
You have the qualifications to become a fine "offices" - go for it!

:animlol: :animlol: :animlol: :animlol: :animlol:

GSPatton
03-10-2007, 11:18
Originally posted by DSM1290
Ok so how insanely hard is BUDs and all the other training? I'm just curious, I don't know if i could do it but am curious. I want to go into the navy as an office but i can't really go into Navy law enforcement as an offices. So i thought that would be similar.

It is doubly good to be curious.
As a former office in the Navy I can tell you that law enforcement offices is very similar. They just have an extra s.

GLOCK35TX
03-14-2007, 10:47
Visit a "Navel" Recruiter.

(For some reason visions of the boot camp scene (Private Pyle) in the movie Full Metal Jacket are filling my head)

Crazy Ed
03-17-2007, 01:51
This thread should actually be labled Spec War. I was Navy EOD which is considered Spec Ops. The Spec War folks (SEALS) I know wouldn't like being called Spec Ops.

Ed :shocked:

brownmajik
04-06-2007, 17:12
Ok folks, stop flaming the poor guy because he can't spell. He probably went to public school, like me. Anyway, BUD/S is not easy. Neither is becoming a Naval Officer. I also read that you want to join the "Shore Patrol." I don't know much about the Officer programs or the "SP's" , however, anything and everything you want to know about preparing for BUD/S is right here in this little link:

http://www.navysealteams.com/warning.htm

This link is the Basic Underwater Demolition / SEAL Warning Order. From personal experience I will offer these words of advice. Learn to like running. If you plan to be a SEAL, running is your new mode of transport. Watching TV and gotta pee? Run to the Head. Wifey forgot to pick up milk from the store? Run to the store, bring the milk back in a daypack on your back. Gotta walk the dog? No, you gotta RUN the d@mn dog. Get it? Also, learn how to swim. Not much point in SEALing it up if you can't swim. You'd be surprised how many people don't realize this until their first fit test. Also, get used to being cold and wet. Take cold showers, swim in cold water, have your wife / girlfriend dump icewater down your pants without warning, whatever it takes, but get used to cold, wet, and tired. Also, start eating right and DO NOT GET HOOKED ON SUPPLEMENTS OF ANY KIND. That includes multivitimins. If you have to take a MV, you're not eating right. One last word of advice. If you really want to be a SEAL, nobody can stop you. Not your recruiter, not your friends laughing at you, not even the BUD/S instructors yelling at you with a bullhorn while youre running, soaking wet and covered in sand past the Hotel Del Coronado, telling you to quit because you're fat and slow. Remember that when you're at the 5 mile mark and your legs burn, or you're on the slide for life and your forearms feel like grapefruits. Just keep saying "NOBODY CAN MAKE ME QUIT, NOBODY CAN MAKE ME QUIT." Remember, the only easy day was yesterday.

Hoo Yah and good luck.:thumbsup:

kray9
04-21-2007, 19:47
I am an officer in the Navy and here are the tips that I have for you:

1. Naval Academy is alloted more billets
2. If you don't get into the Naval Academy or do not want to go there then do your research on other schools. Do not just go to an easy school where the ROTC meets once a week and you don't do anything else. I can talk all day and night about Texas A&M University because that is where I went and loved it. You will get a good feel of a military life: 0500 reveille, daily PT, MULTITASKING, pressure, yelling, etc. Also, good school's like the Naval Academy, Texas A&M, etc. will have special unit's which are even more intense. I personally was in the Fish Drill Team. There is also special unit for SeAL Training which is very rigorous.
3. If you don't get accepted to one of the better military schools, find another way to get in. Again from experience: I was not accepted to Texas A&M so I went to Texas A&M Galveston and then transferred in after one year.
4. Once you get picked up for your Naval Scholarship/Contract you will be able to work towards the pipeline that you want to commission into: i.e. SpecWar, SpecOps, Surface Warfare, Aviation, Supply Officer, Civil Engineering Corps, etc... (Do your research)
5. Study hard and learn to multitask.