GeorgiaCarry.org: 2006 In Review [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GeorgiaCarry.org: 2006 In Review

Wiley
02-02-2007, 13:10
GeorgiaCarry.org: 2006 In Review

January 5th, 2007

2006 was the foundational year for GCO, and with 2007 beginning, we thought it might be a good time to look back over the previous year and see what was accomplished in just a few short months.

(1) GCO filed litigation in federal court resulting in the abandonment by the government of the requirement that an applicant disclose his SSN in violation of the federal Privacy Act and disclose his irrelevant employment information under the guise of determining “good moral character.” This litigation resulted in a change to the application form statewide, but GCO is not finished. Stay tuned in 2007.

(2) GCO forced Cobb County’s probate court to reverse its policy of refusing to grant temporary renewal licenses. Thanks to GCO, Cobb County residents may now obtain temporary renewal licenses and not lose their privilege to carry while waiting for the five year license to issue. GCO also obtained temporary renewal licenses for two GCO members by initiating litigation after the members’ respective probate judges refused to issue temporary renewal licenses. GCO intends to resolve this issue once and for all in 2007.

(3) GCO successfully urged Forsyth County to repeal its gun ban in county parks. GCO wants to extend special recognition to GCO member and Forsyth County resident Kelly Kennett, who tirelessly advocated a repeal of the ban and was present at every public hearing to speak on GCO’s behalf. Stay tuned in 2007 as GCO attacks the few remaining county level gun bans. If your county has such a ban, consider getting involved in 2007!

(4) GCO successfully sued the Georgia Department of Public Safety to require them to provide certain open records related to Georgia Fireamrs Licenses that they originally had refused to provide, plus the Department of Public Safety agreed to pay GCO’s costs and attorneys fees for its blatant violation of the Open Records Act.

As a look forward into 2007, GCO currently has the issue of whether a probate judge “shall issue” a firearms license “[n]ot later than 60 days after the date of application,” as stated in 16-11-129(d)(4), on appeal to the Georgia Court of Appeals. A decision should issue from that court in early 2007. If this appeal wins, it will change the procedure statewide, requiring probate judges to issue within 60 days. If the appeal loses, then nothing will change, as the judges who currently ignore the 60 day language will continue to ignore it. A third but remote possibility is that the court will find a way to dodge the issue.

GCO intends to be very active in the General Assembly during the 2007 legislative session, with a goal of relaxing the onerous public gathering provisions and other restrictions on places where firearms are currently banned under state law.

This is an organization that began accepting memberships only on October 26, 2006. If GCO can move this much in such a short couple of months, imagine what we can make happen 2007! But we need your help. Consider taking the time to join us!

Join GeorgiaCarry.org (http://georgiacarry.org/cms/2006/10/26/join-us/)

birdbarian
02-25-2007, 06:17
I live in Gwinnett. I appreciate the work GCO is doing for the state and in particular to lift the illegal ban on carrying in Gwinnett County parks.

I sent a letter to my County Commissioner asking her to support the repeal of the illegal county ordinance. I pointed out to her that GA law already provides for banning firearms to sporting events and "public gatherings" (whatever that means).

I hope the ordinance is lifted soon. I love taking my kids to the big playground at Tribble Mill.

MalumProhibitum
03-01-2007, 15:53
Originally posted by birdbarian
[B]I live in Gwinnett. I appreciate the work GCO is doing for the state and in particular to lift the illegal ban on carrying in Gwinnett County parks.

You might also like to now that, after Gwinnett refused to issue a temporary renewal license to a GCO member, GCO faxed a letter to the probate court, and, the SAME day, Gwinnett announced a policy of following the law on temporary renewal licenses!

:supergrin:

http://georgiacarry.org/cms/2007/02/15/gwinnett-county-policy-is-to-issue-temporaries/

Slowly but surely, GCO is gaining ground on these issues around the state

Wiley, thanks for posting the Year in Review (actually just a few months). I have been amazed at how much has been accomplished in so short a period of time. Since GCO is an all volunteer organization, if you are reading this, we need your help!

birdbarian
03-01-2007, 20:41
"Clarifying the policy" doesn't seem to me to indicate that they are going to repeal the county ordinance.

I know that this issue has been raised to our Parks & Rec director and the legal staff. Quite frankly, no one had been aware of this issue before it was recently brought to our attention. It is my understanding that wheels have been set in motion to clarify the policy.

Best Regards,

Lorraine Green
District 1 Commissioner

Wiley
03-02-2007, 04:57
If Gwinnett doesn't repeal the ordinance they will be in court just like Coweta. I would not put too much stock in the uninformed comments of a county commissioner.

If you wanted to be nasty you could email her the preemption statue that is the 'clarification' of the illeagle ordinance.

MalumProhibitum
03-02-2007, 05:18
Originally posted by birdbarian
"Clarifying the policy" doesn't seem to me to indicate that they are going to repeal the county ordinance.

I quoted your post over at GPDO on a thread discussing the Gwinnett parks issue. (http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1702&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

birdbarian
03-06-2007, 21:41
Originally posted by MalumProhibitum
I quoted your post over at GPDO on a thread discussing the Gwinnett parks issue. (http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1702&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

I read thru that thread. Looks like we should be bugging our Commissioners for status on a recurring basis. I'll shoot her an e-mail in a few days and request status.

MalumProhibitum
04-04-2007, 17:29
Originally posted by Wiley
GeorgiaCarry.org: 2006 In Review

(1) GCO filed litigation in federal court resulting in the abandonment by the government of the requirement that an applicant disclose his SSN in violation of the federal Privacy Act and disclose his irrelevant employment information under the guise of determining “good moral character.” This litigation resulted in a change to the application form statewide, but GCO is not finished. Stay tuned in 2007.

Join GeorgiaCarry.org (http://georgiacarry.org/cms/2006/10/26/join-us/)

I excerpted this, because there is news in this case! The Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals just reversed the U.S. District Court (http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/2007/03/25/eleventh-circuit-reverses-us-district-court-on-ssn-case-dismissal/) on its dismissal of the remaining claims, so the remainder of the case will be moving forward!