brisket [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : brisket

archipimp
02-02-2007, 22:09
does anyone have the formula for the cooking time ratio to weight of a brisket? Assume slow cooking on indirect heat (BBQ). Thanks

noway
02-03-2007, 08:31
It depends on your heat. You will only know "truely" when the meat is done by a thermometer or alesser accepted "poke test".
But in general you should budget 1-2hrs per pound in a typical smoker with an inside temp of 200-220degs.

temps, thickness of bone, how long you let it reach room temp, outside temp ( snowy iowa vrs hot florida ; ) ) , and a host of other variable all effect the duration needed to cook the food.

lethal tupperwa
02-03-2007, 10:33
cause there ain't none:)

My father -in-law lived in Texas for a while and he was complaining about the meat cases being full of Brisket.

It's tough and not good.

He was at that time eating brisket cooked in my Weber and saying how good it was.

I told him it was Brisket and he said No Way.

Keep the temp on the low side and give it time.

How long depends on how big a piece you are cooking.

A whole packer's hunk would take a lot longer than the usual 1-2 lb.

I rub the meat on both sides with salt, pepper and paprika before cooking.
2 to 2 1/2 hrs is about right for a small piece.

noway
02-03-2007, 15:09
{I never saw a bone in brisket.
cause there ain't none
}

Typically this would be true in most local grocer but if you buy a full brisket bone might be attached. You can get these in most big beef butcher place and cheaper than the gocer trimmed meats. Weights can easily reach 20-35lbs range.

One more thing that determine how much and how long heat, is how much fat ( marbling ) the meat has. You want a picece of meat that does have visible fat and the more is better ,since you can trim it down if you need to if it's too much. Stay away from the cuts with all fat remove and if it looks very lean.

If this is your first try, I would suggest getting a smaller flat cut ( 2-5lbs) and experiment on it before trying your luck on a big 30lb plus cut. The same principle applys to a grocer lite cut vrs a bigger cut but the bigger meat will use more seasoning, long cook time and would be more difficult to move around if needed.

Most people that buy the big butcher house cuts would break them in halves or quarters just to make them more manageable. Also be advise you can get these whole brisket at a much lower cost then your local grocer store. The more people that have process you meat , add to your price per/lb ;)

lethal tupperwa
02-03-2007, 20:58
Brisket is a cut of meat from the breast or lower chest. While all meat animals have a brisket, the term is most often used to describe beef or veal. The beef brisket is one of the eight beef primal cuts. According to the Random House Dictionary of the English Language, Second Edition, the term derives from the Middle English "brusket" which comes from the earlier Old Norse "brj˘sk", meaning cartilage.

Brisket can be cooked many ways. Popular methods in the U.S. Southern States include smoking and marinating the meat and cooking slowly, not directly over the hot coals or wood. Additional basting of the meat is often done during the cooking process, however most of the tenderness from this normally tougher cut of meat comes from the fat cap often left attached to the brisket. The brisket is almost always placed with the fat on top so that it slowly dissolves down into the meat as it cooks, turning the toughness into juiciness and tenderness rivaling all other cuts. Small amounts of certain woods such as hickory or mesquite are sometimes added to the main heat source, and sometimes they make up all of the heat source, with chefs often prizing characteristics of certain woods. The smoke from these woods and from burnt dripping juices further enhance the flavor. The finished meat is a variation of barbecue. Once finished, pieces of brisket can be returned to the smoker to make burnt ends. In traditional Jewish cooking, brisket is most often braised as a pot roast.

In the U.S., the whole brisket has the meat-cutting classification NAMP 120. The brisket is made up of two separate muscles, which are sometimes separated for retail cutting: the lean "first cut" or "flat cut" is NAMP 120A, while the fattier "second cut", "point", "deckel", "fat end", or "triangular cut" is NAMP 120B.

Mild Bill
02-04-2007, 11:04
My best Briskets have started on the "grill" to create an out dooorsy crust,
and ended up in the oven...
I like smoke to add its essence...
To be 'a' seasoning, not 'the' seasoning...

Full-on BBQ tend to seem generic to me...

When the meat is simply 'delicious', you can use the abundant leftovers for soups,
risottos, or beef and barley stew--- without it all tasting too BBQeee...

At the WalMart Supercenters, you can get whole, barely trimmed, vacuum packed briskets
pretty darn cheap... A dollar something a pound...
I'll do the flat end one day, and the fattier, more decadent, point cut another time...
Unless I'm cooking for more people than me, my wife, and me--- then I'll do the whole thing...

For the generic brisket I do, I use Paula Dean's simple 'House Seas'nin'...
To make it you use 1 cup of table salt, 1/4 cup of fresh ground black pepper,
and 1/4 cup of garlic powder...

This is good all around... You should keep it on hand...

I sprinkle that on generously, let it sit overnight, then allow to return to room temp before
tossing on the hot charcoal Weber grill...
Like 10-15 minutes per side to get a crust...
All the drippins' make a lot of smoke with the lid closed...

Then I transfer to a baking pan...

While it was on the grill I'd a mixed up a measuring cup with a half cup of ketchup,
a half cup of A-1, and a couple tablespoons of Worcestershire...

I spread that on top, cover with foil, and bake for 3-4 hours at 350 till fork tender...

For the last half hour I'll uncover and raise the heat up to 450 to crust-up the top...

After it's rested, I'll slice it up in 1/4" slices, and toss with all the flavorful juices...

You'll know it spent time on a grill, and that's the thing that makes it really good,
but you'll also taste the meat and other stuff...

Alright, I'm getting really nauseous from a Zinc tablet I took a little while ago
because I'm getting a cold...
I was up at 3 am last night with a sore throat, sneezing, and blowing my nose every 10 seconds...

So I can't talk about this any more...

:beer:

noway
02-04-2007, 21:53
{At the WalMart Supercenters, you can get whole, barely trimmed, vacuum packed briskets
pretty darn cheap... A dollar something a pound...}

In TX my parents get these for right around 80cts per lb. The Piggly wiggly have them at 75cts per/lb the last time I was there.

All I can say is, it's alot of meat :)

lcarreau
02-04-2007, 21:59
The trick to brisket is low and slow. I mean a low temp and for a long time. It is common for me to do a 12 pound brisket overnight for dinner the next day (18 hours or so at 220-250). You know you got it right when it cuts easy and when the slices have a nice, red smoke ring around it. A lot of folks have marinades or dry rubs. I mostly just use salt/pepper and garlic powder.

-Lonnie

Mild Bill
02-05-2007, 09:57
Originally posted by noway

All I can say is, it's alot of meat :)

Don't you judge me!

:beer:
:supergrin:

Michael Dean
02-06-2007, 09:15
Mmmmmmmmm.....smoked brisket.....

Low and slow is the key. Shoot for about 225 degrees. I usually cook for at least 12 hours, sometimes 15 hours. There are probably as many different methods as there are people cooking them. The method I use (especially if using mostly wood rather than lump coal for fuel) is to cook a brisket for about 4-6 hours and then take it off and wrap it loosely in foil. Put it back in the smoker and cook for the remaining time needed. It gets plenty of smoke in that time, and it will be falling apart tender when it is done.

I usually cover the fresh brisket in yellow mustard and then use a rub. The mustard helps the rub cling to the brisket, and you won't taste the mustard when cooked.

Noway is right on with his description about briskets. They do have bones but are sold boneless. Watch for them to be on sale around the summer holidays, and buy extra for the freezer.