WARNING: Near Car-Theft at Ortigas Home Depot [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Near Car-Theft at Ortigas Home Depot

horge
02-03-2007, 02:39
I think we nearly had our car stolen just this afternoon
(Saturday/Feb03/07) at Ortigas Home Depot parking area, and possibly
worse. Around 3:40 pm, my wife and I were leaving Ortigas Home Depot,
after having picked up an order of floor tiles.

We exited the building via the doorway opening onto the exit driveway
(that is to say, the doorway opening in the direction of Meralco
Avenue; there's a plot of garden plants for sale there), to our car,
which was parked just outside, along the exit driveway to allow easy
loading of the tiles.

The whole parking strip was almost empty, except for our car and this
silver Toyota (I'm poor with model types) 4-door compact which had
parked right beside it within the time we were inside the building.
Two heavyset, dark fellas were on either side of our car, one with
his face almost pressed against our driver's side window, as if
looking down at the steering wheel area; the other using two (2!)
cellphones at the same time.

On seeing me, the guy looking into our car backed away slowly, and
un-shouldered a small carrying bag, and stared hard at me while. The
guy with the cellphones kept one conversation going and reached with
the free hand into their car through the window, also staring hard
at me. I tried to use my car remote to trigger the alarm, but got no
result.

It seems that at that point, my wife, and two store employees with
the trolleys bearing our tiles, hove into view behind me (I had
walked ahead to pop open the trunk, and there seemed to have been
some receipt-check red tape at the exit to slow the others down
further), because the two guys got into their Toyota, no rush.
I backed up several steps to cut off my wife's progress, as the
Toyota pulled out and then drove off to the lot exit.

The Toyota had license plate ZBV 296, with a subtle white
"MACH2000 decal" on the rear windshield(?), and sparkling wheel
mags you could eat off of. The Toyota was very, very well finished.
If I misread the whole scenario (which I doubt), sorry na lang
sa owner ng license plate mentioned, but at the minimum, you were
out of line looking into my car like you did, and for staring hard
at me the way you did.

Effing gun ban.
I'm not unfamiliar with body postures when preparing to draw, and
the guy with the phones was sure tensed up like he was meaning to.

Signal Jammers, Readers
Maybe you can correct me on this, but it seems to me there are many
areas in the metropolis where signal jammers seem to be in use. You
know what I'm talking about: places where your car remote seems not
to work as well. Three places come to mind:

Ortigas Home Depot
Greenhills Shopping Complex
Metrowalk

I'm guessing the plan is to wait for some poor shmuck to think he's
locked his car, (remote locks in silent mode) when in actuality he
hasn't. Easy to then loot or even steal the unattended, unlocked car.

I'm a little concerned about this crap, because it's not too hard to
build a signal reader, and am seriously considering removal of the
remote system, and going back to manual keying. Think about it: they
park and wait, read your signal as you lock up, and somehow use the
info to generate an unlock signal.

This afternoon I had no problem locking up as we were about to enter
Home Depot. On exiting, the remote would not work. After the Toyota
had left, I opened the door physically with the key and the alarm
went off. Only when I put the remote right up next to the alarm unit
did it respond. Back home 5:00 p.m. it worked fine.

I was using the Honda City kanina, and it's not a pretty car.
It looks like a POS, though it drives pretty well.
For some reason I've never had a problem driving the Ford Focus...
aside from the the fact that the Focus itself is a POS.

Ingat lang kayo diyan.
Effing gun ban...

horge

bulm540
02-03-2007, 06:56
I am glad nothing untoward happened.

Eye Cutter
02-03-2007, 07:00
good thing you saw it coming before anything untoward happened. try attaching a small can of pepper spray to your keys and a nice led light. the photon microlight i got is so bright it can momentarily blind you.

i also double check the locks after i activate the remote. nakaka-praning talaga...

binoy
02-03-2007, 08:38
In places where there are lots of radio towers and the like. Car remotes are known not to work. I work near UBP in ortigas (across metrowalk) and my remote wont work (toyota), although my officemate's honda works just fine. A lot of interference in that area (meralco tower, pldt and several radio stations), depende din siguro sa frequency na ginagamit nung remote.

Anyway, glad that all is well...

isuzu
02-03-2007, 08:58
Good to know you're okay. Just like what Binoy said, car alarms may not work especially if there is an FM station transmitter in the vicinity. My pick-up truck had the same problem.

BTW, have your tires rotated every 5,000 kms. The Focus is known to be notorious with premature tire wear on the rear tires.:)

toxic
02-03-2007, 09:04
Good thing di nadale sasakyan mo Sir Horge and no one got hurt..lesson learn siguro is double ingat tayo lage and park in a guarded pay parking area like malls.

cebuboy
02-03-2007, 10:15
good to know you and your wife are all right. what you just described does not look good. its really that bad there in the metro huh..... i'm beginning to understand why you guys must pack.

jimbullet
02-03-2007, 16:52
Luckily the whole thing did not escalate and they simply did not want anything else than possibly just to steal, otherwise, imagine you were almost face to face already with your loved ones coming already behind you. From your post, I believe the way they acted, Im pretty sure they were carrying pistols. It is during these times that we law abiding folks truly need our firearms, which these scum politicians try to take away.

You could just imagine if things turned out differently. What if they were bent on stealing and simply did not exit the scene.

jimbullet
02-03-2007, 16:54
By the way, I believe that it is just right for you to post his plates and best for all BOGs to do the same so that all will be warned

Eye Cutter
02-03-2007, 17:05
from the plate number, silver toyota vios or corolla.

MRV_G17
02-03-2007, 20:50
Originally posted by horge
[b]On seeing me, the guy looking into our car backed away slowly, and un-shouldered a small carrying bag, and stared hard at me while. The guy with the cellphones kept one conversation going and reached with the free hand into their car through the window, also staring hard at me. - horge
i would say 99% may kargada yung mga yun. good thing nothing happened lalo na kasama mo pa si Misis. sana pala naitimbre mo sa parak para na-check kung ano ba talaga character nung mga yun. gun ban naman so meron alibi para icheck sila lalo na hot-spot yang area na yan. dami holdap dyan (mostly payroll robbery) halos linggo linggo.

i guess our only weapon during gun ban is our cellphone - to call police for help and hope na tama yung naka ads nilang hotline number otherwise:

pedro: hello, report ko lang po na merong shooting inciden dito sa **
hotline: pizzahut, may i take your order....:)

darwin25
02-03-2007, 21:45
Good nothing nothing unfortunate happened.:)

Originally posted by MRV_G17

i guess our only weapon during gun ban is our cellphone - to call police for help and hope na tama yung naka ads nilang hotline number otherwise:

pedro: hello, report ko lang po na merong shooting inciden dito sa **
hotline: pizzahut, may i take your order....:)

911 naman yun e. 911-11-11

pero nangyari yung ganyan sa kin

Tama naman may sumasagot naman sa 117. Not knowing yung PLDT hotline I dialed 117, the operator answered and told me to dial 171 instead.:)

But of course you dont want to be the boy who cried wolf:supergrin:

Alexii
02-03-2007, 22:06
Glad nothing worse happened to you, Horge.

Home Depot is near the area where Darius Razon and his companion were victimized a few nights ago. From the news report, I could see the Ortigas Shell station (across the Meralco bldg.) in the background. Their cars' quarter windows were smashed and personal belongings stolen. And this happened in a pay parking lot.:shocked:

vega
02-03-2007, 23:18
Glad you and your other half are alright.

mikey177
02-04-2007, 07:04
I'm glad you and your wife are okay, Horge.

It was indeed odd that the Toyota parked right next to you when the parking lot was otherwise empty, as you narrated.

kristiansen
02-04-2007, 08:33
glad you're ok.be extra careful guys.

Kaiser Soze
02-04-2007, 08:43
Originally posted by Alexii
Glad nothing worse happened to you, Horge.

Home Depot is near the area where Darius Razon and his companion were victimized a few nights ago. From the news report, I could see the Ortigas Shell station (across the Meralco bldg.) in the background. Their cars' quarter windows were smashed and personal belongings stolen. And this happened in a pay parking lot.:shocked:

A lot of smash and grab outfits have come into play lately.

I myself was a victim while parked in Palanan, near the boundary of Manila and Makati. They broke my Pajero's cargo area window (the small one that slides) and grabbed a plastic bag that was emblazoned with the logo of "Electronics Boutique". This also happened to my friend's SUV, and they made off with his backpack which contained importanf office files, clothes, and his wallet.

The sad part about this? Well for one, they broke a window for something that contained computer speakers that were worth roughly 600 pesos...the window cost me around 3000!

The best part? Both cars were broken into while parked roughly 12 feet.
12 FEET from a baranggay tanod outpost!!!!!! :burn:

labuyo73
02-04-2007, 22:03
Sir Horge, good to know nothing bad happened to the car, to you and your wife. My friend was not as lucky though. Last Saturday night, my friends & I went to Blue Wave along Disodado Macapagal. My friend parked on the left side of KFC while I found a slot on the other side of the complex. After a few hours, we decided to go home na since it was already around 1:30am of Sunday. We went separate ways but my friend suddenly called and told me that the window of his Innova was smashed. I went back and also found out that the attache case of our visiting friend from Cebu was stolen. Apparently, the attache case was placed on the floor of the front passenger side. Good thing though, no valuables (only reports and plane tickets) were inside the case. Ayun, we just went to the police station behind SM MOA to have the incident blottered.

I am sharing this info, not to discredit any establishment/place but only to warn everyone that this things do happen even in places where lots of people are present.

By the way, the police patrolling the area & the security guards there did not notice anything unusual until we reported what happened. Probably also because the Innova had no anti-theft alarm.

kristiansen
02-06-2007, 06:45
horge,KS,labuyo: i'm curious,are your vehicles with tint or w/o tint?coz it seems the perps saw something inside the car.thanks.

Kaiser Soze
02-06-2007, 08:49
Originally posted by kristiansen
horge,KS,labuyo: i'm curious,are your vehicles with tint or w/o tint?coz it seems the perps saw something inside the car.thanks.

Yes my car was tinted, and the incident happened around 9:00 PM - still quite a bit of traffic going through that area. From what the police told us, the gangs that operate at night sometimes have a kit with them: a t-shirt to push or break windows with minimal sound, and a flashlight.

horge
02-06-2007, 15:52
Thanks to all for the concern :)

tinted, but not as heavily as the suspicious-acting fellas' Toyota.
'sides, the cabin was empty of anything tempting.

labuyo73
02-06-2007, 17:25
Originally posted by kristiansen

My friend's car was tainted but not that dark. I suspect they saw the attache case when our friend went out the passenger door.

kristiansen
02-07-2007, 06:51
thanks guys.whew.tough times.ingat na lang.

vinsdr
02-09-2007, 04:03
it's a good thing that no one was injured. and everything was okay.
i was wondering, sir horge, would your actions be different if there was no gun ban? don't get me wrong, i am very much against the comelec gun ban.

horge
02-09-2007, 19:04
Hi, vinsdr.

I might have been far more alert. (Being armed in public forces one to be,
because one can't afford to make mistakes.) Who knows, I might have noticed
indicators upon arrival that I should've been parking elsewhere.
Maybe I would've scanned the parking lot better, on exiting the building,
and spotted them before exposing myself. Dunno.

To be quite clear, though: what I was really complaining about is that
a gun-ban emboldens car thieves and criminals in general.

Cheers, sir.
:)
horge

vinsdr
02-10-2007, 02:28
i couldn't agree with you more, sir horge, it really emboldens them to commit crimes just like that.
thank god na lang po tayo that everything happened na walang sakuna.
ingat, :)