Power Steering Fluid question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Fluid question

Viper_Audio
02-03-2007, 16:48
I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy and it's got only 62,000 miles.

Anyway, I was getting the oil changed at a "quick lube" place and they showed me a sample of my power steering fluid which was yellowish brown, and said it needs to be changed. Then they proceeded to give me a high pressure sales pitch to change the Power Steering fluid for $69.00 right there & now.

As a rule, I resist high pressure "you must have it now" sales piches, and drove off without it. But how do I know if I really need new fluid or not? Is yellowish brown the "criteria"?

And is "quick lube" shops the best place for this?

Thanks

Mighty HD
02-03-2007, 19:50
www.bobistheoilguy.com

I change the fluid myself every year. Stays crystal clear.

Rob96
02-04-2007, 04:40
Originally posted by Viper_Audio
I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy and it's got only 62,000 miles.

Anyway, I was getting the oil changed at a "quick lube" place and they showed me a sample of my power steering fluid which was yellowish brown, and said it needs to be changed. Then they proceeded to give me a high pressure sales pitch to change the Power Steering fluid for $69.00 right there & now.

As a rule, I resist high pressure "you must have it now" sales piches, and drove off without it. But how do I know if I really need new fluid or not? Is yellowish brown the "criteria"?

And is "quick lube" shops the best place for this?

Thanks

Are you absolutely sure it came from your vehicle? The quick lube places are notorious for shady business practices. If I don't do it myself, it gets done at the dealer.

Ron3
02-04-2007, 13:59
Go somewhere else and have it done.

Power steering fluid should be changed every 50,000 with "normal" use. It should be bright red like transmission fluid.

Dip your finger or something in there and place a drop on something white that it won't soak into. Does it look dark? Are there little black specs in it? Is it cloudy or milky? Does it stink or smell burnt? If so it should changed.

Some vehicles let it go so long that it could stand to be done twice.

On the other hand you could just wait until you need a power steering pump or rack and you'll get new fluid then. Those componants will last longer with fresh fluid though. Just like all the other fluids in the vehicle.

Ron3

IslandHopper
02-04-2007, 21:57
Yep, should be red ... the same fluid as used in your Auto Trans (usually).

If it's yellowish and murky, then it got water in it at some point. It probably won't blow up on you tomorrow, but you ought to have it changed. (Or do it yourself.)

skeeeter
02-13-2007, 01:18
If you are going to keep it then change PS fluid with a turkey baster. Just take out all that is in the resevoir once a week until it is clean. I would use a semi or full synthetic.

GlockSupremacy
02-13-2007, 01:36
Originally posted by skeeeter
If you are going to keep it then change PS fluid with a turkey baster. Just take out all that is in the resevoir once a week until it is clean. I would use a semi or full synthetic.

What he said. Do it yourself.

They were probably trying to sell you the "bg automotive" power steering flush, aka a vacuum that pumps out the old fluid, and pumps in the new....I'd rather just do it the old fashion way...

Also the power steering fluid doesn't have to be red, some/probably most are yellow right out of the bottle.

Best of luck! :thumbsup: