Soccer anyone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Soccer anyone?

ElConquistador
02-03-2007, 16:57
What does everyone think about the soccer stadium that won't die? I was relieved to hear that it had finally been axed and we would not have to hear about soccer, Real, or Dave Checkettes again.

Now it seems worse than before with the "Smilin' John" and Rocky wanting to bend over backwards to keep them here. You know the pending sale to Missouri is a bluff, I can't stand that whiner Dave Checkettes. If it's such a great investment why can't he find private investors?

You might as well kiss the "Surpluss" (you know, the governments extra money) goodbye, it's burning a hole in their pocket and they will undoubtedly blow it on something stupid, likely committing any future surplus too.

Now I'm rambling huh? Anyway, as someone who is not very interested in most organized sports and very disinterested in soccer I'd just like to hear the opinions of some smarter, more rational/objective people.

RMTactical
02-03-2007, 17:01
I hate soccer. Any sport where you score so little, like Hockey, they are just lame.

I can dig basketball, football, and even baseball in some cases... but soccer? Who likes soccer?

sickboy013
02-03-2007, 17:46
I don't mind soccer, but personally I think it's a fad for this state. In a couple years the majority of people are really gonna care less if we have a soccer team and stadium, so let's not waste money on something that's not going to be long term.

Even with the Jazz a lot of people are "fair weather fans".

If it's something that people are going to really want. Let's wait a couple of years to see how it goes before dumping a bunch of money into a stadium. I see nothing wrong with the Real playing at the U's stadium.

GixxerSixxer
02-03-2007, 22:25
I'll be glad to see them go.

reerc
02-04-2007, 00:07
Originally posted by ElConquistador
You might as well kiss the "Surpluss" (you know, the governments extra money) goodbye, it's burning a hole in their pocket and they will undoubtedly blow it on something stupid, likely committing any future surplus too.

Excuse me!

That is not "the governments money" ... "the government doesn't have ANY friggin' money that isn't YOURS AND MINE.

That is my money ... that is your money, and I, for one, sure as hell don't want to see them spending it on a soccer stadium.

:burn:

Steve Koski
02-04-2007, 20:23
Soccer is for Europeans and South Americans.

sickboy013
02-04-2007, 20:52
Originally posted by Steve Koski
Soccer is for Europeans and South Americans. :laughabove: :thumbsup:

It's for people who want to jump on the euro-trash band wagon.

thetoastmaster
02-04-2007, 20:58
I also think that soccer is quite popular with our new immigrant population. The statdium is for them, and Rocky and Mark's "diversity" movement.

I wish it would die, but sometimes I feel like the last Neanderthal, so what do I know?

UtahIrishman
02-04-2007, 21:01
My grandson and granddaughter both play soccer and I think it's an interesting sport. However I do not believe in supporting professional athletes of any sport.

I don't mind the Jazz, but if the Jazz wanted a new stadium I wouldn't support using public funds for it.

If RSL can't raise the money on their own let them move to another city. Professional sports skew games far away from reality and are subsidized in many venues by local governments.

I am totally against subsidizing professional sports and by extension professional athletes.

ElConquistador
02-05-2007, 17:48
Originally posted by thetoastmaster
I also think that soccer is quite popular with our new immigrant population. The statdium is for them, and Rocky and Mark's "diversity" movement.

Bingo