Knife law [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Knife law

vega
02-03-2007, 23:33
Is it LEGAL to bring bolo / gulok (machete) to the airport (PHIL) and bring it here in the US? Of course it will be inside the baggage. Does it have limit quantity? I plan to order 5, keep 1 and give the others to my friends. The machetes you can buy in the gun shows are nothing compared to our bolos.

TIA

riddler
02-03-2007, 23:46
Yes! For as long as they are in your checked-in luggage, it should be okay. I brought in a couple of "sang-got" for clearing brushes & weeds, a "sundang" for when I trim my oak trees and our version of a "cleaver" for kitchen use last summer.

vega
02-03-2007, 23:56
Do you need to declare it before the x-ray? What is sang-got and sundang? Thanks for the reply.

fox34
02-04-2007, 06:49
Do you need to declare it before the x-ray? What is sang-got and sundang? Thanks for the reply.

My brother is planning to do the same. In Negros Occ, if I remember correctly, The "Sang-got" is the curve knife use by a person that gather "Tuba" from the coconut tree and Sundang is just like a Bolo.

isuzu
02-04-2007, 15:04
Originally posted by vega

Riddler, I hope you don't mind me answering Vega's queries:

A sanggot is an implement with similarities to the gurkha. There are two types of sanggots. The first type is the one mentioned by Riddler. It is used to clear bushes and cut "patdan" or sugarcane cane seedlings; and also used to cut "kompay" or cane tops that are fed to the carabaos. Some people also use this as a kitchen knife.

The other type has a more aggresive curve than the first one. It is used by the "mananggete" or tuba gatherer to cut thin slices on the coconut flower to induce the flow of tuba. This is usually done once in the morning and once in the afternoon. This version is also used as a weapon.

Sundang is a common utility knife used to slice meat, clean the fish, or cut firewood. The heavier one is called "binangon."

There are several good bolo makers in Oton in Panay. My dad orders from them, and they are resistant to chipping and dulling.

Yes, it is okay to bring them, as long as they are packed and in the checked-in luggage. Just declare them as utility knives with no commercial value.

vega
02-04-2007, 21:51
Thanks all.