Current Car Carry Law [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Current Car Carry Law

crater
02-04-2007, 16:24
I need to visit my sister in Okeana in the morning. Is the silly law of open sight still in existence? If so, when does it change?

Thanks in advance and congrats on getting this law changed:banana:

Debob
02-04-2007, 18:00
changes March 14th 2007 at 2pm

crater
02-04-2007, 18:19
Originally posted by Debob
changes March 14th 2007 at 2pm

Could not have asked for a more detailed response.
Greatly appreciate it.

Thanks...

Mark G.
02-05-2007, 18:53
So what are the chances Gov Strickland decides he wants to veto this law too? Not being in office when laws are passed does not seem to bother him.

WILLSARV
02-05-2007, 19:48
He can't veto it. Taft vetoed it and his veto was over-ridden. It goes into effect March 14.

degoodman
02-05-2007, 23:07
Originally posted by Mark G.
So what are the chances Gov Strickland decides he wants to veto this law too? Not being in office when laws are passed does not seem to bother him.

Now Now...he exploited an interesting technicality in the law, once, and the opportunity to do so again has lapsed.

Who was more "wrong" in what they did, philosophically mind you. The legislature or it's retained staff, in failing to deliver a bill to the sitting executive in a timely manner, so that he can exercise his privilige to veto or let the law pass into law in ten days time, or the sitting executive, who noted that the bill in question had been delivered to his office nine days prior decided to act within his privilige to veto it, knowing there was no time to override.

Or was it both their faults, the legislature for not having the spine to pass the bill in a timely fashion, they had two years for pete's sake, and hand it to the governor promptly, so that if he vetoed it, they had the time to act on the veto in the normal course of business.

Honestly, I think that lame duck politics are the worst form of government possible. In their last days, politicians can do essentially whatever they please out of malice, and without recourse from the voting public. I for one would be a fan of eliminating the lame duck period entirely. Constitutionally limit the ability of the legislature to pass any legislation in that period, allowing them only to act in their role related to the completion of the election process, and transitioning to the newly elected legislature, and similarly limit the power of the sitting governor to maintaining the operation of the executive departments, and acting with emergency powers as mecessary. No lat minute pork barrel, special interest bills. No late breaking pardons for political allies. No lame duck or recess appointments. None of the crap.

and for that matter, set the election laws so that absentee ballots are due at the board of elections on the day of the election, and tabulate the results instantly and electronically. We've all taken a test in our lives that there was no make-up for. If that meant hand walking it to the teacher's office at close of business on the day it was due, so be it. And if you had to mail or fax it in, you did so in time for it to count. They can tell you the serial number and when and where a winning lottery ticket was sold, exactly, and as soon as the drawing in complete. You can't make me believe that in this day and age that similar speed and accuracy is not possible in an election. The idea that a hand recount is necessary, and more accurate than a machine count is preposterous, and far more subject to tampering than a machine ever could be.

Pack your office on the first monday of november, go vote on tuesday, and swaer in the new team the very next day. That is the best protection for the integrity of the process you could create.

anyplainjoe
02-07-2007, 13:49
Originally posted by Mark G.

I understand he's in favor of it. I believe he has said assault weapon bans don't stop crime, so he's against them too. A Democrat which seems to be pro-gun. Who'd a thunk it?

Pearl Mussin
02-20-2007, 19:17
How does the new law differ from the old one?

Thanks

Jeremy

WILLSARV
02-21-2007, 05:11
No longer required to have weapon in plain site in vehicles.

Cities no longer allowed to have more restrictive laws on guns than the state has.

Changes take effect March 14, 2007

MichiganPython
02-21-2007, 11:28
I wonder if the new changes will result in a lesser penalty for carrying concealed in areas posted for no carry, meaning parking structures, restaurants, and other private businesses which have "NO WEAPONS" signs in their windows. Here in Michigan, some businesses (although rare) do post. If you are caught, the penalty is basically just a warning. In Ohio, however, it's jail time, right?

WILLSARV
02-21-2007, 13:14
No changes in the posted areas.

Have you ever heard of a CHL holder prosecuted? I haven't.

There is a word in there that creates a problem; Knowingly.