Coyote hunting basics [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Coyote hunting basics

Glackrabbit
02-04-2007, 20:54
I recently got the idea I want to try coyote hunting.

How do you go about it? Calls? Decoys?

I'm in Southern Arizona and haven't hunted anything since I was a kid.

Cheers.

Sharker
02-05-2007, 08:44
We have done it a couple of ways. We hunt open peanut fields in Ga, and the trick to it is to put a remote caller out (20 feet away) and play it for about 3 minutes, then stop it. About 5-10 minutes later we play it again for a bit. Another 10 minutes we give it one more cycle. If you dont see any in the next 10 minutes, then try somewhere else.

You must have the wind to you favor. We usually want a light wind coming at our 9-10 or 2-3... depending on where the area we think they will be is. If the wind is blowing in your face to much, or too hard, you wont get the distance you need for the sound to carry. You wont believe how far away they will come too.
Be prepared for 200 yard shots. For what ever reason they seem to get the gig once they hit that invisiable line. Not sure why, maybe they can tell its electric noise, not real.... but what ever the reason, they seem to come in quick to about 200-250 then they slow to a trot, and get real spooky. Alot of times they will work back and forth in 200 yards away. They are trying to pin point the noise, but something gives them the jitters.

The other way we did it, was put carcasses in the field (used to help a buddy trap beavers, and the carcasses were used) and then spot light the yotes. This is fast chaotic shooting. My long range AR was a dream for this.

varmitmedicine
02-22-2007, 17:18
i love to hunt coyotes,1)there are hundreds around my place 2)they are pretty challenging, but i think it is because of their sense of smell, they can smell up to 1 foot under ground! so the first thing i would do is go buy some sent blocker. and as for them being able to tell that the calls are electronic, i wouldn't have a clue because i always use manuel calls.

romperstomper
02-22-2007, 17:44
What equipment do you consider absolutely essential for coyote hunting? Not including the gun, of course.

varmitmedicine
02-22-2007, 17:47
I always use bait and calls...

Sharker
02-23-2007, 08:56
Would it make me a smart @$$ to say the scope?

I would say a solid rest. Call. blind/camo.

I dont worry about sent block, because 1. We only hunt with the wind giving us favor. 2 because these fields have enough human scent that they are gonna smell some human anyways, so as long as they dont smell you, just traces of you, then you should be good.
3 I think a dogs nose is too good to get fooled by scent block. Dont believe me, go get dressed up in your camo duds and then scent block yourself. Then go hide in the backyard and have your wife let rover out. He will find you in about 20 seconds.

jtull7
02-23-2007, 09:21
When I used to hunt coyotes in West Texas, we just drove out into the country on someone's ranch late at night with a $9.00 call.

You blow on it for about three minutes. It is supposed to sound like a dying rabbit. Then you wait for about 15 minutes.

Then you turn your spotlight on. Usually you would see two or more coyotes within 15 yards of the truck. Shoot them with .357 pistol. Rancher loves you.

We never worried about the smell factor.

harleyfx69
02-25-2007, 17:08
some places you can get paid for yote pelts by the ranchers and i believes sometimes by the state .. i wish i could have this as a summer job .. id sit there with ar and glock and help the rancher out all summer ..