4WD question for those in Atlanta area? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 4WD question for those in Atlanta area?

Eric2340
02-05-2007, 11:49
Hi all -

I am going to relocate to the Atlanta area in the next year somtime and I have a question for those living in that area -

I know that the area does not get a lot of snow fall, only maybe a light dusting or so, but what about ice and the road conditions in the winter other wise?

Reason I ask, is I am also looking to replace my current vehicle, and I am looking at either a 2WD or 4WD version of the same vehicle (truck). Is 4WD really needed in the Atlanta area for the winter, or can I get away w/o it?

I'm not really worried about getting snowed in or anything else like that, but the area is much more hilly than where I live now, and I'm more concerned with not being able to get up and down those hills, and or sliping and sliding all over the place if the roads get more icier than anything else.

Thanks!

Eric

Tom B
02-08-2007, 02:58
No 4WD needed in JA-JAW! Welcome!

kjg26
02-23-2007, 10:03
yea no 4x4 needed. BUt i got it anyways. LOL:animlol:

SGTCAP
03-16-2007, 19:10
I live in south GA and I'm glad to have a 4x4. There are still a lot of rural areas in GA where a 4x4 is handy. IMO at some point every truck is going to be used like a truck, and w/o 4WD it may not work out very well. Examples:

1. My buddy went to a local park with his wife and dog in his 2WD Explorer. Dropped the back right tire into the only bit of mud in sight. The mud hole was literally less than 3 square feet and a few inches deep. He got stuck and I had to come pull him out.

2. Went fishing. Guy was backing his boat into the water with a newer 1/2ton chevy. He unhooked the boat and went to pull up off the ramp. IT was slick and all he did was spin the tires. Some young guy walked up and asked if he needed a hand. THe guy in the chevy said yes and thanked him. THe kid ended up pulling him and the trailer out w/ his 4 banger ranger 4x4 locked into 4wheel low. The guy in the chevy looked like he was VERY embarrised

3. My NCOIC(millitary version of a manager) has a new Titan 2x4. He likes to brag that he doesn't need 4wd, his tuck makes over300hp. He was driving through a parking lot at work and dropped a back tire into a chug hole in the pavement. He was stuck. I happen to pull up in my Tacoma, hooked up my chains and yanked him out while laughing my ass off. I know he felt like an ass.

I don't care where I live, if I have a truck or SUV it WILL be a 4x4. To me a wd truck is like a glock w/o a high cap mag. It may do the job but i rather spend a couple extra bucks for the added insurrance.

kjg26
03-16-2007, 21:26
well put. I agree 100%. If i own a truck or SUV it will have a T-case!

scott.poole
03-19-2007, 19:02
It'll only take getting your 2-wheel-drive truck stuck in your own back yard once to convince you that you need a 4x4 (that's all it took with me, anyway).

As for the ice, I live about 50 miles north of downtown Atlanta and we get ice once or twice a year. Forget about driving in it, though. Nobody down here knows how and we'll run into you.

kjg26
03-19-2007, 21:07
Yea, and anything heavier than a light sprinkling of rain will turn our wonderful drivers into freakin morons.

Warp
03-19-2007, 21:31
Originally posted by SGTCAP
I live in south GA and I'm glad to have a 4x4. There are still a lot of rural areas in GA where a 4x4 is handy. IMO at some point every truck is going to be used like a truck, and w/o 4WD it may not work out very well. Examples:

1. My buddy went to a local park with his wife and dog in his 2WD Explorer. Dropped the back right tire into the only bit of mud in sight. The mud hole was literally less than 3 square feet and a few inches deep. He got stuck and I had to come pull him out.

That's pretty bad. Even a 2wd pickup with a limited slip rear would have no problem with that. If you are going 2wd you at least need a limited slip diff.

spober
03-25-2007, 14:11
I live in North Carolina, in the piedmont regon in between the mountains and the costal plane.we get a snow storm or two in the winter.usuarly icey conditions when it snows.in 2000 we had 24 inches whithin a day!one in a liftime.the last 2 winters nuthin?personally id rather have the 4 wheel drive and seldom need it.we had 1/2 inch of ice paralyse the city 2 years ago.the city just dosent have enough snow clearing equipment to have on hand for as infrequently as it would be needed.

Warp
03-25-2007, 14:15
Originally posted by spober
I live in North Carolina, in the piedmont regon in between the mountains and the costal plane.we get a snow storm or two in the winter.usuarly icey conditions when it snows.in 2000 we had 24 inches whithin a day!one in a liftime.the last 2 winters nuthin?personally id rather have the 4 wheel drive and seldom need it.we had 1/2 inch of ice paralyse the city 2 years ago.the city just dosent have enough snow clearing equipment to have on hand for as infrequently as it would be needed.

That's nice, but Atlanta isn't likely to get 24 inches of snow. ;)