Armed Combatives Workshop [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Armed Combatives Workshop

bikethief
02-05-2007, 23:57
In line with the blasted gunban, I and a couple of other guys at Carlos Hermanos are thinking of organizing a Practical Knife Course. We are targeting regular folk (including women) and will be using a fighting system developed purely for the street. Would any of the BOG's be interested in this? Group rates are available for groups of 6-10 pax. Here's a rough outline of the one day workshop we are formulating:

1. The Survival Mindset

- fight or flight
- threat detection and evasion
- mental trigger / keeping your head on during a fight

2. The Blade

- the first strike
- stab and slash drills
- attack scenarios
- weapon retention

3. Blade concealment and deployment

- types of blades
- carry modes

--end--

You will notice that we have left out the ever elusive Knife Defense. This will be an option for you guys after the 3 modules. We did this because because defense is a whole other ballgame and cannot be taught in a day. We don't want people walking out of seminars or workshops feeling like superman just because they were taught a "foolproof knife disarm move." We do have defense techniques but these are a last resort. Beside, you should never be caught without a weapon. ;) And after we run the scenario drills we have prepared, I doubt you will have any confidence in effectively defending a determined knife attack.

Post here or PM me if you guys are interested. Thanks BOGs!

mikey177
02-06-2007, 02:43
May I suggest that you dedicate a few minutes of the seminar to discussing the legalities of bladed weapon carry or, in other words, what to say when an LEO accosts you for carrying a knife on the street.

Bien of S.O.E. discussed this with me in detail when I visited him at the shop, and I believe it is essential info for anyone thinking about carrying one of these tools in the Philippine setting.

charlie-xray
02-06-2007, 04:18
My take, I'm for it.

Pero wawa naman ako physically absent na naman ako diyan, puwede bang magkaroon ng full video coverage and I would be more than willing to pay the DVD, editing, mastering and shipping to my location. Para bang andyan na rin ako.

Saka sana mai-dagdag nga yung knife defense.

HEAVY
02-06-2007, 04:55
BT, this is great!

when? where? makano?

pm me please.

TTPower
02-06-2007, 05:08
BT, can u pm me also where when n how much thanks

bikethief
02-06-2007, 05:20
Here's the lowdown:

Rates:
2500 per person for individual training
2000 per person if you canput together a group of 6 or more

Venue:
Individual training - Sucat, Paranaque
Group of 6 or more - your choice of venue. Pwedeng garden ng one of the BOGs or a basketball court na reserved for us. Sana lang medyo private venue kasi hindi laro ang gagawin natin.

Mikey177 - i would rather not go into legalities kasi hindi ako lawyer and I don't want to take responsibility for any misinformation. Dami ring grey areas so madami ring diskarte. I want to focus on the skills and fighting mindset muna.

BOGs - Some might say that 2500 for a one day course is a bit steep but this is my justification: We will be doing full speed drills, full contact drills and us trainers regularly take a beating kasi kami yung dummies. Plus madami naring kaming na-invest na blood and sweat to learn and test these techniques. Besides, 2500 is a small price to pay for skills and info that could potentially be life-saving. Our methods are simple and we've weeded out the BS. Sigurado you will absorb enough to be able to use the skills right away with minimal practice.

charlie-xray
02-06-2007, 06:13
Any chance on the video side, for us absenteees.

Originally posted by bikethief
Here's the lowdown:

Rates:
2500 per person for individual training
2000 per person if you canput together a group of 6 or more

Venue:
Individual training - Sucat, Paranaque
Group of 6 or more - your choice of venue. Pwedeng garden ng one of the BOGs or a basketball court na reserved for us. Sana lang medyo private venue kasi hindi laro ang gagawin natin.

Mikey177 - i would rather not go into legalities kasi hindi ako lawyer and I don't want to take responsibility for any misinformation. Dami ring grey areas so madami ring diskarte. I want to focus on the skills and fighting mindset muna.

BOGs - Some might say that 2500 for a one day course is a bit steep but this is my justification: We will be doing full speed drills, full contact drills and us trainers regularly take a beating kasi kami yung dummies. Plus madami naring kaming na-invest na blood and sweat to learn and test these techniques. Besides, 2500 is a small price to pay for skills and info that could potentially be life-saving. Our methods are simple and we've weeded out the BS. Sigurado you will absorb enough to be able to use the skills right away with minimal practice.

bikethief
02-06-2007, 06:40
Charlie,

Try ko i-video pero you won't learn the techniques unless you actually drill it. Video ko narin for posterity siguro tapos send ko sayo.:)

Allegra
02-06-2007, 09:23
Sounds good , tanong ko sa gunclub namin

charlie-xray
02-06-2007, 09:26
Cool, at least idea lang muna then yung actual pag-andyan na lang ako. Sana matapat sa sched ko at sched nyo next time around. Isasama ko wifey ko.

Charlie,

Try ko i-video pero you won't learn the techniques unless you actually drill it. Video ko narin for posterity siguro tapos send ko sayo.:)

Boj917
02-06-2007, 14:40
I'm interested sir, may i know the schedules? i'm only free during Sundays, I'll see if i can come up with a group of 5:thumbsup:

One Question lang sir,

Does this sessiob require the participants to have knowledge in special skills? like martial arts and the like?

danger26
02-06-2007, 15:27
hi, i'm interested too but like Boj917, i'm also only available on sundays.
Please let us know about the sched, thanks!

mikey177
02-07-2007, 06:59

I understand.

I would just like to point out that the wording of the Comelec resolution on the gun ban includes "deadly weapons" and not just guns. The description they used is as follows: For this purpose, “firearm” includes airgun, while “deadly weapon” includes hand grenade or other explosive, except pyrotechnics. IMO, this very general clause would encompass most "tactical" knives.

Thus, while it would be worthwhile for any sensible person to acquire additional skills for street use, I must caution that the tool he uses to defend himself with should also have a "plausible use" so that it is not automatically viewed as a "deadly weapon" by the authorities.

Full text of the Comelec resolution may be found here for reference --> http://www.comelec.gov.ph/announcements/resolutions/2007/res_7764_A.html

bikethief
02-07-2007, 08:12
Looks like Sunday is a good day for a lot of people here. I will organize a Sunday sched and post here when we have a big enough group.

Mikey177 - Matatalino ang members ng BOGs. If your a responsible gun owner then I'm sure you can handle a knife. Besides, IPSC shooters train and compete with open carry holsters but that doesn't mean they carry the same way outside the range. In the same way, this course will provide you the skills pero bahala na kayo mag apply. If you find carrying a knife not PC and against the law (and your principles) then substitute it with something else like a flashlight with a strike bezel or a sturdy ballpoint pen. The point is, I'm not advocating illegally carrying a deadly weapon. This course is for people who want to discover how a real world attack happens and who also want to develop skills and instincts that will give him/her the edge over the attacker when the time comes. Pardon the cliche': "Our guns and knives are tools. We are the weapons."

Mikey, sama ka nalang sa course and if your willing ikaw narin mg facilitate ng module on the legalities of carrying a blade.

mikey177
02-07-2007, 18:04
...Mikey, sama ka nalang sa course and if your willing ikaw narin mg facilitate ng module on the legalities of carrying a blade.

I'd like to attend the course (though I'm not qualified either to give a lecture on legal matters), but I rarely get a chance to visit Metro Manila. Anyway, I wish you success in this endeavor. We're all on the same side, you know, and I am as much an advocate of the right to self-defense as any other BoG member. I just don't want to find any of our brothers in a situation wherein they prevail in a defensive situation but afterwards they get shafted by the legal system. I hope you also understand my concerns regarding that aspect of learning fighting skills.

Anyway, enough of that.

Regarding the seminar itself... are there any pieces of equipment that the participants need to bring, such as wooden or rubber training knives, head or face protection, goggles? Also, if I can gather enough participants, would you guys be open to conducting a seminar up north in Pangasinan?

bikethief
02-07-2007, 23:42
All of the training gear needed will be provided by us.

For out of town seminars, we require a minimum of 6 participants and travel/lodging expenses for 2 instructors. Same rates apply.

Thanks!

mikey177
02-08-2007, 20:10
Okay, thanks. I'll see if I can gather some participants for a provincial seminar.

cznayr
02-08-2007, 23:23
bikethief,

If you have a training session in quezon city, count me in. Medyo malayo ang sucat specially on Sundays (family day eh).

Thanks,

Ryan

vinsdr
02-09-2007, 04:23
bikethief,

i'm interested din po. but i have some concerns- like, i'm not that physically fit (as in,obese). can i still join you guys? could you be so kind as to pm or email me about the schedule and other details? thank you very much.

arzon
02-18-2007, 03:15
Any updates on this one? If my schedule permits and the location is very accesible (southside, but not so south), then I may join in.